New Ficus leaves getting pale spots. Help?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

New Ficus leaves getting pale spots. Help?

Post by sheepdawg »

In about the last week, I've noticed the new leaves on my collected ficus (rubiginosa I think, but not sure) are getting pale spots/streaks.

I spray all my plants with a systemic fungicide and insecticide (fluvalinate and myclobutanil) every 2-4 weeks (or whenever I remember) to control scale because a neighbour's hedge is covered in it and it sometimes makes its way to my plants. So, I'm thinking this is either a virus or a nutrient deficiency. I'm leaning towards a nutrient deficiency because it's only affecting the new leaves.

Here's some pics. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: New Ficus leaves getting pale spots. Help?

Post by treeman »

I had virus on some of my figs a few years back. I had to burn them all. This does not look quite the same but it looks a bit like a virus infection. I don't think it's a deficiency. Carefully watch the new leaves as they expand. If they continue to display these symptoms, then you can assume it's a virus. (assuming pest control and adequate nutrition)
Last edited by treeman on April 10th, 2017, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

treeman wrote:I had virus on some of my figs a few years back. I had to burn them all. This does not look quite the same but it looks a bit like a virus infection. I don't think it's a deficiency. Carefully watch the new leaves as they expand. If they continue to display these symptoms, then you can assume it's a virus. (assuming pest control and adequate nutrition)
damn :(

I really hope it's not a real problem because I really want to work with material this large. How do I know for sure if its a virus?
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

sheepdawg wrote:
treeman wrote:I had virus on some of my figs a few years back. I had to burn them all. This does not look quite the same but it looks a bit like a virus infection. I don't think it's a deficiency. Carefully watch the new leaves as they expand. If they continue to display these symptoms, then you can assume it's a virus. (assuming pest control and adequate nutrition)
damn :(

I really hope it's not a real problem because I really want to work with material this large. How do I know for sure if its a virus?
You have to send it to a path lab.
If you get clean new leaves consistently after your treatment, you should be ok.
Mike
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

I had a good look at the plant and noticed a few things.

In a small crack between a branch and the trunk, those small black ants are farming mealybugs (those big, white, spikey scale insects).
17858762_1241322765923556_84253996_o.jpg
17902850_1241322819256884_1474680135_o.jpg
I also noticed that a dark ring is forming around the base of the trunk. The bark has taken on this blackish colour. I scratched some bark back and it's still nice and green underneath it. I don't know how well you can see it in the pictures, but it's more obvious in person.
17887535_1241322635923569_1288865709_o.jpg
17902881_1241322732590226_613346234_o.jpg
17916417_1241322692590230_1445174134_o.jpg
And here's some more pictures of the leaves.
17887363_1241323489256817_70282038_o.jpg
17901907_1241323555923477_1610315848_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Post by CraigM »

For comparison, the leaves below are from a PJ of mine, believe the spots to be viral, happy to be wrong. Can see the marking differs to the original pictures in this post. Going to leave the tree to grow, was repotted and re-pruned a month ago and see how the leaves develop. If the yellow marks return, sounds like no cure and will be destroyed... :crybye:

I disinfect my tools whenever I prune this tree now.

When I purchased the tree originally it was overgrown, do not recall seeing any yellowing, but to be honest did not look in detail. Only once I had pruned back initially and repotted, did I notice issues with the new / existing growth. Initially suspected something with the soil / watering, but ruled that out.
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

Sheepdawg, those white bugs may be ladybug larvae. They look a lot like mealybugs, but actually predate upon them.

Andreas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Andreas »

Cut off all the leaves, it will shoot new once at ease. I doit frequently with mine.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

I think a family friend has solved what's wrong with this plant. She examined the leaves and split one open, and then found some tiny white bugs on the leaves. So now I'm thinking this is a leaf miner of some kind. I'm going to hit it with some confidor and see how things develop.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”