Callistemon Citrinus Angela leaf munchers

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Callistemon Citrinus Angela leaf munchers

Post by Raging Bull »

I found a couple of leaves on my callistemon citrinus being devoured by these very efficient little munchers this morning :o :x . Luckily only a couple of leaves. They were on both sides of the same leaf, stripping it in a very efficient manner. Does anyone know what they are and how prolific they are? I hope I don't find more , as they seem to eat very fast.

The other pest munching some of my plants appears to be a wasp of some kind. It's about the same size as a large blowfly with colouring similar to a marchfly. I fly very quickly and zooms in onto the edge of a leaf, immediately chewing semi-circular scallops out of it like a cookie cutter. I couldn't get a photo of it. Does anyone know what I can do to deter this wasp(?).
Thanks , Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Callistemon Citrinus Angela leaf munchers

Post by Ryceman3 »

Raging Bull wrote: The other pest munching some of my plants appears to be a wasp of some kind. It's about the same size as a large blowfly with colouring similar to a marchfly. I fly very quickly and zooms in onto the edge of a leaf, immediately chewing semi-circular scallops out of it like a cookie cutter. I couldn't get a photo of it. Does anyone know what I can do to deter this wasp(?).
Thanks , Frank.
Leaf cutter bee?? Sounds like their habit you describe and I'm pretty sure they hang out up your way. They use the cut outs in their nests. As for how to deter them... I'm better at the ID (I think) than the solution- sorry! :P
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Frank,

The caterpillars:- Callistemon Sawfly - Lophyrotoma sp.
Larvae of this Sawfly can defoliate shrubs and small trees. They may also skeletonise leaves.

I agree with Ryce on the Leafcutting Bees - Megachile spp.

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on November 2nd, 2017, 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Hey Frank,
Those really are crazy little munchin' critters - I have never seen them before, but they sure can strip a leaf down to the bone.

Ryceman3 & Kevin are correct on the leafcutter bee though. Had the same problem on an Alder tree & Shibui advised me of the culprits.
For months I was continually looking for a grub doing the circular leaf damage, until one day I saw what I thought was a wasp fly in, munch, roll up, & fly off in a matter of seconds! Damage done before I could even say :o (beep)
Last edited by Keep Calm and Ramify on November 2nd, 2017, 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thank you for the replies. Now I know what to get mad at :evil: . It must be spring with all these critters coming to raid my plants. :cry:
Cheers to all you knowledgable people.
Frank.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Must be karma for me given I involved myself in the initial post ... I just noticed my Callistemon Sieberii has lost a couple of leaves to these sawfly larvae. Very, very efficient munching machines ... it really is quite interesting to watch - for 5 minutes and then ... :twisted:

Just thought I'd post in case people were wondering if they are :
a) only a problem in more Northern parts of Australia - obviously no is the answer ...
b) only a problem around Spring time - obviously no is also the answer here too!

Look out for them! I wonder if they only target Callistemon?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

My Ficus Carica Brown Turkey has its leaves regularly skeletonised by these little mongrels. I saved a couple for future printing....lol
brownturkey.jpg

Return to “Pests and Diseases”