spider mites

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

spider mites

Post by Joe.sab »

Hi all,
i just identify some spider webs on my bonsais black pines and maples junipers, elm, ficus, azaleas. as well but not heavily, i did some research but did not get what to use for them ,they says neem oil can help, is this oil good with these plants or there is better way to control them.
thanks
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: spider mites

Post by shibui »

First you need to know whether the webs are from ordinary spiders or spider mites. Spiders will not hurt your bonsai. They will help to protect them from other bugs.
Spider mites are tiny and the webs are usually very small.
Pyrethrum works on mites
Horticultural oils work on mites and neem oil should be Ok. Pestoil and eco oil should also work well.
Mancozeb is a combined fungicide and miticide.

Most of these are contact insecticides. They will kill any bugs they touch but won't kill the ones that are hiding or the eggs so you may need to respray several times to get rid of the mites.

You can also get predatory mites for biological control. These ones feed on smaller mites but do not harm plants. Obviously if you release predatory mites do not spray insecticide or you will kill the killers.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives,Junipers, JBP
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: National, Bonsai Study Group

Post by PAC »

Joe
Good advice from Shibui.

I'm not a nurseryman or horticulturist. It may be a little late for spider mite although this extreme hot weather in Sydney may have released some. Unfortunately for me I had spider mite late last spring early summer on 20 of my 25 black pines, introduced by a new tree. They are not quite microscopic but very small and suck the life out of needles. I lost 6 black pines over summer.

I found the treatment is lime sulphur in winter or once you see the infestation. The mites can destroy the foliage and weaken the tree quite quickly, so even though you may get rid of them, the after care of the trees is considerable. So generally speaking no work on the tree and water with care.

Good luck
Paul C
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Post by Joe.sab »

Thanks guys this helps a lot I’m not sure if they are mites or normal spiders I’ve to check tomorrow, obviously the pine looks quite good and getting new growth others looking good as well, got to check,
Cheers
23loise23
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by 23loise23 »

Hello,

I am looking for some ant and spider control products for my new home.
So please could anyone of you suggest me from where I can buy pest control products which is not harmful for kids??? :lost:
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Post by Redsonic »

23loise23 wrote:Hello,

I am looking for some ant and spider control products for my new home.
So please could anyone of you suggest me from where I can buy pest control products which is not harmful for kids??? :lost:
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
You have contacted an Australian Bonsai forum, so not sure that anyone can help you with where to buy home pest control products in California (this seems to be your location?). :lost:

Return to “Pests and Diseases”