What is this

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

What is this

Post by Joe.sab »

Hi guys,
Is this diseases or eggs for some insects ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
morrie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: What is this

Post by morrie »

he second one looks like scale
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Both those pictures show scale. It is a little insect that builds that brown shell over the top for protection while it sucks the juices out of your plants. Ants often 'farm' scale. They protect them from predators so they can collect the sweet 'honeydew' that the scale insects secrete while they suck plant juice.
By sucking the sap the scale will make your tree less vigorous.
Horticultural oils are usually used to get rid of scale but most systemic insecticides will also work. Ordinary contact insecticides don't work because the insect is protected by the little house. If there are only a few on one tree you can try wiping them off by hand. Whatever treatment you use keep a close eye on the plants because usually a couple will survive and lay more eggs so you usually need to treat the plants again in a few weeks to get any new ones.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

shibui wrote:Both those pictures show scale. It is a little insect that builds that brown shell over the top for protection while it sucks the juices out of your plants. Ants often 'farm' scale. They protect them from predators so they can collect the sweet 'honeydew' that the scale insects secrete while they suck plant juice.
By sucking the sap the scale will make your tree less vigorous.
Horticultural oils are usually used to get rid of scale but most systemic insecticides will also work. Ordinary contact insecticides don't work because the insect is protected by the little house. If there are only a few on one tree you can try wiping them off by hand. Whatever treatment you use keep a close eye on the plants because usually a couple will survive and lay more eggs so you usually need to treat the plants again in a few weeks to get any new ones.
Hi shibui the scale was a lot bigger before on those and I used the bug killer and lost one of them because I treated late( did not see them) and the other 4 survived but the scale was dead, I had to remove them with my hand, I’ll remove those and keep an eye like you said maybe they just dead, if not can I use lime Sulfur on them or too strong what you recommend or richgro bug killer will be fine.?
Cheers
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

My guess is that these are new ones that have hatched from eggs that were not killed by the previous treatment or have come from a nearby plant.
Always check the label to see that the product treats the pest you have.
I usually use a horticultural oil for scale - Eco oil or Pest Oil are both good.
Bug killa is a systemic so will also kill scale. It may also kill bees if used on flowering plants.
Scale is listed for lime sulphur but the instructions say it may harm plants with leaves. I think Lime sulphur is usually used on dormant trees without leaves. It can kill living plants if used too strong.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

shibui wrote:My guess is that these are new ones that have hatched from eggs that were not killed by the previous treatment or have come from a nearby plant.
Always check the label to see that the product treats the pest you have.
I usually use a horticultural oil for scale - Eco oil or Pest Oil are both good.
Bug killa is a systemic so will also kill scale. It may also kill bees if used on flowering plants.
Scale is listed for lime sulphur but the instructions say it may harm plants with leaves. I think Lime sulphur is usually used on dormant trees without leaves. It can kill living plants if used too strong.
I have seen eco oil in Bunnings but didn’t see horticultural oil before dose they have this?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Apologies mate. Horticultural oil is just a term to describe all of the different oil mixtures used to treat pests on plants - white oil and winter oil are old formulas that can have some side effects. Newer formulations of much lighter oils are safer like pest oil, eco oil, neem oil, etc, etc. All the companies have different formula and names. Pest oil is just one of the many different types of horticultural oils.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joe.sab »

Oh yeh understood now, thank you for the information
Cheers

Return to “Pests and Diseases”