confidor on azalea

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

confidor on azalea

Post by peterb »

Hi everyone
Just a question, My azalea suddenly lost vigour and when i checked carefully I found on the underside of the leaves these tiny little black dots. When I gently rubbed them they rubbed off and when I rubbed my fingers together got this green brown smudge so I suspect some sort of bug. Can I use confidor on my azalea , it's not flowering at present and normally flowers in spring so few months away. Thanks for any advice
Cheers
Peterb
Last edited by peterb on May 3rd, 2018, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: confidor on azalea

Post by Pearcy001 »

Is it lace bug poop? (Black dots in the attached photo).

Sorry haven't personally had to treat an azalea with insecticide before so cannot comment on the confidor.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on May 3rd, 2018, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Peter,

Without a picture i can only guess at Azalea Lace Bug. These little buggers are prolific in Sydney and it's very uncommon to see an Azalea without their damaged leaves here.
As for spraying now, this maybe ineffective, i had a quick look into their life cycle and found the below information from Yates.
Azalea lace bugs are small soft bodied insects (3mm) with large lacy wings. They can be found
clinging to the underside of leaf surfaces. As the bugs are so small they are usually not detected until damage is
noticed on the leaves. The eggs of lace bugs overwinter on the mid veins of leaves before hatching in spring. Lace
bugs are attracted to a wide variety of ornamentals such as azaleas, rhododendrons, viburnums, flowering quince,
crabapple and cotoneaster.
Kevin
Last edited by Kevin on May 3rd, 2018, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Hi Peter
Personally I would spray pretty anytime for lace bugs and I use confidor, it works well. Also works on a whole host of pests ;)
Cheers RodM
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hey guys
Thanks for the replies, yes it does look like that poop. Didn't see any bugs so I'll do as you said Rodm . Gonna zap the little buggers
Cheers Peterb
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Confidor treats azalea lace bug very effectively without harm to the plants. I have used it for this regularly.
Please try not to use confidor on plants at or near flowering. It does not harm the plants but moves to all parts of the plants and stays effective for some time. Bees visiting the flowers will take tiny amounts of the insecticide back to the hive and it can eventually kill entire beehives.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

Most retailers are removing Confidor from sale because of its detrimental effect on bees. We need the bees to survive so they can pollinate the various vegetable crops on which we depend for our survival. any use of the chemical should be sparing.

Roger
Corymbia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, junipers, Aussie natives
Bonsai Age: 35
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Australian National Bonsai Group, Wauchope B

Post by Corymbia »

I was at our local nursery yesterday and purchased Searles' Conguard garden insecticide active constituent 0.125 g/l Imidsacloprid for $16.90 which I was told was a replacement for the now withdrawn Confidor.
Regards Jan B
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Searles Conguard has exactly the same active ingredient (imidacloprid) at the same concentration (0.125g/L) as Confidor. So while it is a replacement (different manufacturer), it has exactly the same issues attributed to Confidor.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

The use of confidor and like products should be used with extreme care, particularly with pollinating insects. I won’t use it when plants in flower as advised. I’ve noticed, funnily enough, in my garden that the bees stay away from plants that I’ve just sprayed. ;)
Cheers RodM
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

Hi everyone,

Several things come to mind:
1) Azalea Lace Bug spreads like wildfire. If you have several Azaleas, treat them all, whether they show symptoms or not. Even if they are in different parts of your garden, in-ground or not.,
2) Also treat Rhododendrons, of whatever size, and Pieris japonica. No exaggeration, I've observed the Azalea bug on all of those.
3) Prevention is better than Cure! Confidor is an excellent preventative. Here in Canberra I spray all Azaleas etc. twice a year, once in December and once in mid-to-late Summer. (Can't remember the exact time.) All of the treated plants are clean.
4) Plant shrubs that bees love! Like lavender and herbs. I found that they draw bees away from my Azaleas.

Below: an Azalea that is in flower now!

Good luck to all Aalea fans,

Lisa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Thanks for replies everyone, I'll make sure not to spray to close to flowering. Definitely going to spray my other azaleas
Cheers
Peterb

Return to “Pests and Diseases”