Is this disease ?

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Is this disease ?

Post by Joe.sab »

This is piers japonica i was put them in the green house, now on the new growth i got like spots, don’t know what are they I spray lightly last week with pest oil, any one have information about this please.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Re: Is this disease ?

Post by LLK »

Hello Joe.sab,

Those spots are caused by a fungus and treating the leaves with pest oil is probably the best thing you could have done. I checked on the WWW and everyone says that the environment is very important. Humidity and lack of air cause fungal infections. Your Pieris japonica should NOT be in a greenhouse, but outside, where it gets plenty of fresh air. It likes cool weather, but frost will damage young growth. Also likes full sun to part shade, depending on the seasons. Acidic soi, well-draining.
With better air circulation and reduced humidity, the spotting may stop. Remove fallen leaves. Be sure not to overwater.

The Pieris is a very lovely shrub; I wish you all the best with it.

Lisa
Joe.sab
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 6

Re: Is this disease ?

Post by Joe.sab »

Thanks lisa for that information Very helpful.
Cheers

Return to “Pests and Diseases”