Never seen this before

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Never seen this before

Post by melbrackstone »

I've just found these pests on a Baeckea that we thought might have been poisoned by a nasty neighbour. It's starting to get some new growth, but a lot of the new shoots seem to wither and die quickly. I had a close look again today and noticed ants farming, so followed the trail and found a couple of dozen of these scattered around both the new growth areas and the dead branches. Clearly they're taking the opportunity to get into this tree while it's very frail, and I don't want to give it any tough work while it's struggling. The tree is quite old, 40-50 or so, which is also making me stop and give it less intervention than I'd do on a younger tree.

So far I just gave it a spray with a bunnyworld Pest Spray, which knocked off the ants, and a praying mantis :( Then I picked off as many of the bugs I could find. These little buggers are 3-4mm long, quite bulbous, and look like a beetle of some kind. Each one had a white substance under them. They produce a satisfying amount of internal liquid when squished. Also, after spraying, the ants started racing down the trunk with some of the immature ones.

Any hints?
0IMG-0776.jpg
0IMG-0777.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Never seen this before

Post by terryb »

Hey Mel,

Bit hard to see but it looks like a hard scale of some kind, which I think is consistent with the white stuff underneath and also the ants moving the juveniles.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks Terry, yes that is what I thought it might be, although they appear to have legs, unlike many of the scale insects I've seen here. Do you think I can use white oil, or should I just try and keep the ants out, and pick them off, considering the age and fragility of this poor thing?
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by TimIAm »

I suggest using iNaturalist https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/ it is a community of citizen scientists, but it leans on the side of academia (who make use of the data for research papers), so it's very reliable. It has a fairly accurate A.I vision model which does a great job of identifying things. So it can provide suggestions even if you don't want to submit the "Observation".

If you're not happy with the A.I suggestions then lodge the observation, but make sure you classify it at the highest level you can even if you're not sure. So for beetles, you can choose 'winged and once winged insects' or something higher if you know a genus etc. This step is import because a lot of people who work to identify species on the site work within boundaries (so the 'fish' people don't often look at 'flowers' and the 'tree' people don't look at 'butterflies').

The higher up your observation moves towards Species level, the more sets of eyes will look at it. It helps to get as clear a photo as possible for both the humans and the AI to help identify. So it may progress from Living thing -> insect -> winged insects -> beetles -> scarab beetles etc. over a series of iterations.

It's no promise, but the majority of things I've uploaded (close to 1000 observations) get identified usually within 48 hours. If not, you can find experts on the site and tag them and typically you will get some help.

Because this site is used by academia, it has a very polite community.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks Tim, I'll get my camera charged and take some better photos.

Cheers
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

The second photo it kinda looks like the backend of a rice weevil .
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I did a rice weevil search, and yes, I can see that, but the bug itself is shaped more like a ladybeetle, or scale. I'll attempt to get a decent shot when my camera battery has charged. Thanks Sno.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

It's got legs, as I suspected, and does look a little weevil-like, thanks Sno! Dunno what it is doing on the Baeckea though... :reading: :reading:
_0DSC4168.jpg
_0DSC4172.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimIAm »

I know this sounds weird, but I have what I think is a baekcea that got run over by a tradie who took out our letter box. Long story short, the top was snapped off and what was left was good bonsai material. It was growing out nicely and I noticed about 20 mini weevil like creatures. I left them because I assumed they would grow up and move on and they didn't seem to have harmed the plant. 2 weeks later and most of the foliage was gone.

Anyway, I've been looking for a reason to post this tree here. So I will send photos tomorrow. The ones I had were light grey, more like the typical weevil color, but they were the same size as yours and did a good job of almost killing my almost dead shrub.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I've added the pix to iNaturalist, thanks Tim. The AI suggested a weevil, but I couldn't find anything similar, and it doesn't appear to have the proboscis that the weevils all seem to have. Never the less, looks like you were on the money Sno!

That's interesting that you've found something similar on your tree Tim, I'll look forward to seeing it! I also discovered some small caterpillars munching on the new foliage. So they've all been squished as well. Hopefully the plant will have a chance to recover!
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

melbrackstone wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:41 pm Dunno what it is doing on the Baeckea though... :reading: :reading:

_0DSC4168.jpg_0DSC4172.jpg
Eating . Weevils can be extraordinary destructive . The manna gums across the Monaro in NSW were decimated by a weevil plague 15 or so years ago .
If there are ants there will be some scale or some ant ‘farm animal ‘somewhere as well .
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimIAm »

Happy to be corrected on the species. It was much easier to tell when it was flowering, before it met its fate. I was close to pulling this out initially as the whole top was snapped off leaving almost nothing still alive, but then it started putting out leaves.
b2.jpg
This picture is one of the sections that was being consumed. I had to remove a couple of other sections of similar-sized growth, as it had been eaten to nothing. This part has bounced back.
b1.jpg
Here is what the foliage looks like, it used to have small purple flowers. If anyone knows which species it is?

b3.jpg
This has a great trunk. Taper isn't too bad. I'm mostly excited about the dead wood.

Most of the weevils were moved on when the damaged foliage pads were removed. I usually find pyrethrum spray works well against most pests, but I use sparingly.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Sno wrote: March 15th, 2023, 9:47 pm
melbrackstone wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:41 pm Dunno what it is doing on the Baeckea though... :reading: :reading:

_0DSC4168.jpg_0DSC4172.jpg
Eating . Weevils can be extraordinary destructive . The manna gums across the Monaro in NSW were decimated by a weevil plague 15 or so years ago .
If there are ants there will be some scale or some ant ‘farm animal ‘somewhere as well .
Thanks Sno, I'll have to keep a close eye on it! I had no idea weevils ate trees! I will also have to search out what the ants are farming, thought it was the weevils.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

TimIAm I haven't seen a Baeckea with purple flowers, so it might be Melaleuca or Kunzea. (Its foliage does look very much like a Baeckea though!) As long as the pests move on, there's hope for your tree.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Mel, there is Baeckea crassifolia which has purple flowers, and a pink one from memory. Just not sure it’s the same leaf that TimIam has??
Watch for skinny little stick like caterpillars too, they are so well camouflaged makes them really difficult to see.
Hope you get the weevils and manage to discourage any more having a feed.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”