Twigs that eat deciduous leaves

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Twigs that eat deciduous leaves

Post by kcpoole »

Hi all

I have noticed recently that most of my Maples, and Callistimons have had leaves go brown and withered looking or just shortened :evil: . I thought it was just the after effects of the summer and burnt leaves falling off or whatever

On Tuesday I took a tree to school and found some strange twig looking things on them and closer inspection ofound them to be long thin grubs that attach at both ends and camouflage themselves really well.
I have seen them before occasionally but this tree had quite a few on it.

Today I had a good look at all my trees and found hundreds of the buggers. Existing leaves have all been munched and are real paper thin and brown, and there is No new leaves on them at all.
Maples and Callistimons seem to be the targets only :x

I have picked them all off, and cut them in half :D but does anyone know what they the larvae of and how can I stop them in the first place?

See the attached pics
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Twigs that eat deciduous leaves

Post by 63pmp »

Hey Ken,

I've got the same little guys out here in Mudgee. There called loopers or inch worms. I'm not sure what they turn into once they've grown up. They get quite large.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Surely that cocoons and turns into a butterfly? then there would be eggs. What you see would be the larva stage. Maybe I am missing something from bug clarification?

I have little green caterpillars that roll themselves up in the leaves. My guess it is the common white butterfly. Has been a real pain to keep on top of them this year.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Twig llooper caterpillar, Ectropis excursaria. very common, consider it a pest and do whatever you do with caterpillars. There are sprays if the problem is severe, otherwise simple enough just to pick them off. Turns from a small brown uninteresting caterpillar into a small brown uninteresting moth.
Name refers to its flight pattern, turning out and turning around, flies like its rear is on fire.
The green guys could be white cabbage butterflies or the Tobacco looper, which is a common pest on ornamentals. Closely related to the Silver Y, because of a little silver marking on the moth wing.

I shall retreat back to the moth appreciation society now,
Greth
Last edited by Greth on April 2nd, 2010, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by 63pmp »

Here's one on a trident,
IMG_0148a.JPG
also got the light tan ones.

Had a few of these guys this year, little ones really like to nibble on Hinoki cypress tips.
IMG_0825b.JPG
Thanks for the details Greth. I just pull them off and step on 'em. The katydids are trickier to catch, need a small fish net when big, or a quick nip with the fingers when small (leaves bug guts on your fingers though).

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Not sure on that black guy, Paul, it will be another Geometrid moth (Geometrid= earth measurer= the inchworm types with only legs at the front and the little claspers at the back, none inbetween) Many Geometrids are quite pretty moths and colourful.

I'd be putting it into a jar and feeding it maple leaves and find out what it is, but thats just me, I can narrow down my interests to just about the whole of natural history. And I would have a dilemma if I only had one small bonsai maple for food supply. Many Australian moths are still barely named or described, quite an interesting field.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by 63pmp »

Hey Greth,

Keeping one in a jar is an interesting thought, I'll have a look and see what's about. Usually if I don't get them, the flocks of silver-eyes and double bars do. But there might be one or two about. Let you know in spring what they look like.

Paul
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I have noticed an odd 'branch' on a couple of my trees over the last couple of years and looked again to discover a large looper that was exactly the colour of the tree's branches. No green or brown but perfect camouflage. Well, almost perfect!!!

Something along the same lines tackled my European Olive several weeks ago. This tree is very slow to create leaves and Whatever-It-Was removed most of the last year's work of the tree. I wasn't the least bit impressed but Whatever-It-Was was gone, leaving large poos on the soil surface and almost no leaves on the bonsai. Ever the vigilant eye.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Some of them have great camouflage, Mel !
The technical term for caterpillar poop is frass, yes theres a word for every purpose. Hope Eddie asks you that one on the last question!
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Thanks all for the info
Okies i suppose from Jan on it seems I will have to more vigilant and then pull them as soon as I see em

I Hate bugs that eat my trees :cry:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

these suckers dont just eat deciduous either, i have found them on my figs before too. never a great deal though and not to much damage, i just pick em off when i catch em.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

Jamie wrote:these suckers dont just eat deciduous either, i have found them on my figs before too. never a great deal though and not to much damage, i just pick em off when i catch em.
I have found a couple on my figs too. I pulled them off and stomped on them repeatedly. The nerve of them! :lol:

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
AndrewM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Black Pine, Satsuki
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club / Satsuki Society of Australasia

Post by AndrewM »

These little buggers must be every were

i have got them on my maples, figs and in the garden. i found that spraying helps get ride of the majority of the problem but still have to back and pluck the new arrivals of
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Gday folks!

Seems that these critters have pretty strong stomachs: they (or something very similar) gave my Eucs a going-over during December and January. As MelaQuin noted, the ones that plagued me and my trees were precisely the colour of the branches they were feeding on (pinkish on the newer growth, green/brown on older growth).

I have never in my life seen so many caterpillars as I did this past summer...

Fly.
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Nice to know they had a good season, anyway!
We had a load of Hakea moth caterpillars on a new Hakea, I let Jessie raise a few so she could see the pretty moths. Didnt have the heart to remove them, and they are big fellas, so no Hakea flowers to show, sigh.
Jessies hakea moth.jpg

Return to “Pests and Diseases”