fig leaf disease

We have some unique pests to deal with in Australia. Post your experiences and treatments here for others to learn from.
Ellen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ?
Bonsai Age: 0

fig leaf disease

Post by Ellen »

Some of my figs are starting to get curled over leaves with dark red coloured spots. What is the treatment for this?
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive

Re: fig leaf disease

Post by EdwardH »

Curled leaves are usually caused by a bug (I don't remember the name). Simply cut off and toss in the bin. Do not put cut off leaves in garden /compost as you only spread the bugs around.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

ellen wrote:Some of my figs are starting to get curled over leaves with dark red coloured spots. What is the treatment for this?
Ellen, sounds like you have thrips (no not an STD) they are little flying bugs if i recall which cause the leaf to curl almost in a cocoon form. although not fatal to the tree they are unsightly and usually attack new growth slowing down tree progress, if they are in large numbers it may weaken the tree. natrasoap, pestoil or any systemic should do but usually try the less toxic first and go from there. in the mean time pull the effected leaves off as once they are infected and curled they wont recover. been a fig it will reshoot.
Ellen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ?

Post by Ellen »

Thanks, wil try that

Return to “Pests and Diseases”