Where do you get it?
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Good value?

Post by Raymond »

I spotted these on Ebay and was wondering what people thought about them. I believe they are good value, but opinions from those with more exertise than myself is always valued.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-Bonsai-to ... 3a8b022999
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Good value?

Post by Boics »

They look ok.

The photo's are great at least.

It is generally accepted that the chinese made products are not as good as the Japanese.
In saying this there js chinese and there is chinese! Meaning really cheap stuff and some that is built with quality in mind.

For example I have a pair of Ryuga (chinese built) wire cutters and I think the build quality is particularly good.
However I wouldn't say the same for most of the cheaper chinese tools that you will find online.

Without physically inspecting and trying the cutters you have linked it would be hard to tell.
Seeing as the products are both stainless they would generally be worth a lot more than the price listed.
However if they are cheap and nasty the would be worth less....
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Think Boics hit the nail on the head. I always hesitate when I find something cheap on ebay, that is ususally expensive. Always makes me wonder what the catch is lol
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Boics wrote:They look ok.

The photo's are great at least.

It is generally accepted that the chinese made products are not as good as the Japanese.
In saying this there js chinese and there is chinese! Meaning really cheap stuff and some that is built with quality in mind.

For example I have a pair of Ryuga (chinese built) wire cutters and I think the build quality is particularly good.
However I wouldn't say the same for most of the cheaper chinese tools that you will find online.

Without physically inspecting and trying the cutters you have linked it would be hard to tell.
Seeing as the products are both stainless they would generally be worth a lot more than the price listed.
However if they are cheap and nasty the would be worth less....
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at the Ryuga range, and stumbled across the ones I posted. I totally get the fact that Japanese made tools are of a superior quality, but I cant justify paying some of the asking prices for say Kaneshin tools.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Raymond wrote:Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at the Ryuga range, and stumbled across the ones I posted. I totally get the fact that Japanese made tools are of a superior quality, but I cant justify paying some of the asking prices for say Kaneshin tools.
I thought that at first too, and am now replacing all the cheaper tools I bought with Kaneshin ones :P agreed though, probably best to start with the cheaper. I'm just upgrading them slowly, every few months I get something new :tu2:
Last edited by Jason on April 23rd, 2014, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

I have a few ryuga tools and cannot complain-in saying that I've only been using them for 3years. My justification is in happy to pay for the ryuga-let's call them good quality Chinese, and if/when they need replacing if I am not satisfied with how long they've lasted or performed then they will get upgraded to Japanese or Joshua Roth tools.
I think a lot comes down to how you look after them and store them.all of my ryuga tools get kept in the bag they come in, and I see a few ppl who have decent tools just thrown into a tool box.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

If you are coming to Robert Stevens workshop this weekend you will be able to buy them from the agent. As he is the agent, here in WA it is C,J,Leo also a member of the Bonsai Society of W,A,

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Pup wrote:If you are coming to Robert Stevens workshop this weekend you will be able to buy them from the agent. As he is the agent, here in WA it is C,J,Leo also a member of the Bonsai Society of W,A,

Cheers Pup
Now that's good value: Robert Stevens and good tools :lol:
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Pup wrote:If you are coming to Robert Stevens workshop this weekend you will be able to buy them from the agent. As he is the agent, here in WA it is C,J,Leo also a member of the Bonsai Society of W,A,

Cheers Pup
Not looking good for me to get there this weekend Pup. I didn't know we had an agent in WA. Would be good to talk to him about the quality.
bonsaisensation
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pinus
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: bonsai society of vic

Post by bonsaisensation »

hi Raymond
i would check to see if they are really stainless steel for chromed? i have never bought a stainless steel pair of branch cutter because even at wholesale prices they are priced at around $70 each.
chromed on the other hand, i have been getting them at about the similar price range as they are advertised on ebay.

regards
check out our new website:
http://bonsaisensation.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

I work for a wholesaler and know for fact that the manufacturer sells at a high profit margin (think 100 plus %) to the importer who then adds their 100 plus % profit margin when selling to the retailer who then adds their % profit margin.
You get the point. The more hands between the manufacturer and the buyer, the greater the cost. The quality has little to do with it.

I know of drills made for under $15 retailing for $150! The difference between a cheap unit and an expensive tradesman's tool is often no more than $50 at point of manufacture yet many hundreds of dollars at the point of retail.

My advise is that if you have a few trees then buy the cheaper tools however if you have quite a few trees then the extra money that you invest in the better quality tools will be repaid many times over. :2c:
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

I was bored at work today, Yes I know, bored again... So I sent Kaneshin an email requesting a price on a branch cutter, knuckle cutter and wire cutter. Delivered to my door $182.90. Sound pretty good to me...
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Raymond wrote:I was bored at work today, Yes I know, bored again... So I sent Kaneshin an email requesting a price on a branch cutter, knuckle cutter and wire cutter. Delivered to my door $182.90. Sound pretty good to me...
Which one1? or all 3 if that is the case that is a very good price. Grab them.

Cheers Pup

Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Pup wrote:
Raymond wrote:I was bored at work today, Yes I know, bored again... So I sent Kaneshin an email requesting a price on a branch cutter, knuckle cutter and wire cutter. Delivered to my door $182.90. Sound pretty good to me...

Cheers Pup
That's all 3 Pup. all 3 are 8 inch tools, carbon steel.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Raymond wrote:
Pup wrote:

Cheers Pup
That's all 3 Pup. all 3 are 8 inch tools, carbon steel.
Grab em mate I am still using my branch cutters from when I started .

Return to “Availability of supplies”