Where do you get it?
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Soil Supply

Post by Elmar »

MoGanic wrote: PS - According to Uchi - the best medium for Black Pines and Junipers is 100% Blue Metal. I'm almost 90% sure that he didn't mean 100%, but I have tried blue metal on some conifers but haven't had enough for long enough to post some/any results. Might do that once the new house is up and running.

Cheers,
Mo
87.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot because only 13.7% of all people check and verify that there is actually proof ....

NB: I just made that up :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Elmar
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:
MoGanic wrote: PS - According to Uchi - the best medium for Black Pines and Junipers is 100% Blue Metal. I'm almost 90% sure that he didn't mean 100%, but I have tried blue metal on some conifers but haven't had enough for long enough to post some/any results. Might do that once the new house is up and running.

Cheers,
Mo
87.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot because only 13.7% of all people check and verify that there is actually proof ....

NB: I just made that up :lol: :lol:
Hahahaha yeah my certainty percentage was made up!

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Guess there are plenty of examples by others mentioned here previously (see Ken's post of links) - always thought that copying others gives you a head start then you can compare them to each other and pick the one you like best!

Better than reinventing the wheel!

To test, obviously several new trees of the same species are required! Or of several species, to be fair...

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
That was the purpose of this post is about. Experimenting different mediums and see what works for me but also try other mixes from others is also a good experiment personally from where I live at the moment
Kind Regards
Allen
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

bonsaibuddyman wrote:
xIIRevoEvoS wrote:I plan on experimenting my own bonsai mix on some starter plants.
Would like to know where I would able to purchase Diatomite/Pumice/Zeolite/Pinebark?
What organic soil should I also get?
Whats the purpose of zeolite and how does it look like?
As Ken has pointed out his methods to trialling his own medium, which works for him....and
As Treeman has pointed out that he prefers using a set purchased medium and tweaking things for other species, which works for him....and
As others have reinforced their beliefs or views on what makes a great medium to use for established stock/raw stock etc, it is clear that everyone has different views on the best avenue to take, which is what makes this forum so great, because it allows the user to discern all different opinions trialled or recommended.

Let us all take this on board and again, we can all learn from it. Just like everyone else I have my own experiences on what medium to use and under what conditions, and thus I am not going to add to the opinions already voiced, but I can certainly understand that for each of you there is a unique view which effectively works for all of you, thus it is good to see so many different things working for us all.

I am amazed at the amount of time some of you have to prepare so many different mixes and it is good to see so much passion that you all have for it. Hopefully the trees are the ones that benefit from this thread, so live long and prosper little trees.

In regards to xIIRevoEvoSs original question, you can take comfort in realizing that you have opened pandoras' pot, and that there are many different experienced users with a lot of information and recommendations to digest. I personally always listen to everything everyone says, base their experience from their efforts and trees, and then formulate my own decision. You will probably find that your methods continually change as you learn more and more in this wonderful hobby. As bodhi once stated, the only thing for certain is that the longer you are in this hobby that the more your opinions and efforts will change, and by this, this is how we grow and learn. Never stop learning or listening, and remember that in such a unique hobby as this, one size does not fit all. :reading: Good luck with all your efforts.
Hey Bonsaibuddy

I agree with what your saying and like another thread that I made couple of months ago from Shibui is that soil mix might work for X but does not work for Y etc..
Already made some mistakes like bending/snapping a maple branch too far, spray pesticide just when its about to rain :lol:
As bodhi once stated, the only thing for certain is that the longer you are in this hobby that the more your opinions and efforts will change, and by this, this is how we grow and learn. Never stop learning or listening, and remember that in such a unique hobby as this, one size does not fit all
Totally agree - read about it and research whilst formulating your own opinions. I've even talked to a youtuber Orlando Bonsai, what works for him in the state might not even work in australia due to the material thats available here.
Kind Regards
Allen
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

kcpoole wrote:
Jarad wrote:
xIIRevoEvoS wrote: My main experiment will be on 2 starter jbp/maple and juni. I know its a bad idea to test on trees that are already in development.
Will read the threads later in the week once I have abit of time.
Good excuse to get more trees isn't it? :tu:
Nice segway to get back on topic :-) and totally agree, Doing experiments and trying different things is an excelent way to justify buying more trees :lol:

Ken
Yes Ken - Even my mum say that are you buying again :shifty:
Only for experiment purposes but I also end up buying other stock like Shimpaku Juniper for formal upright and a Blaciea Juniper which I have no clue yet. :lol:
Making occasional visits to nursery like Megumi and Ray Nesci can be good. Always good talking to them when I buy some starters from them about when to repot and what they don't like etc...
You would also be surprised on the amount of trees/shrubs that I have since I started around August. So far I have about 28 roughly and will have several more when I make a visit to Nesci tomorrow for Maples, Juni and possibly something else.

But plenty to play around with and develop at the same time.
Kind Regards
Allen
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive

Post by EdwardH »

When I first started growing Bonsai, I made my own medium using combinations of loam, sand, grit, peat and whatever was lying around. Then after a few years I started buying Ray Nesci's mix and used that for a number of years. Ray advised me that his mix was designed for trees which were ready to be potted up into bonsai pots, essentially show quality and that if my trees were still in the usual black plastic pot then commercial potting mix was quite OK to use. So I changed again :) My experience tells me that most mixes will give good results if you fertilize and water well. The only difference that I have found is that the mixes with high organic content tend to get curl grubs in them whilst those with high inorganic medium rarely get curl grubs.
Moral of the story is to be flexible, try different mixes and most of all enjoy your trees! The hobby is about enjoying growing miniature trees to look like those that we see in nature. The day that you have set your mind like cement is probably the day that the local mafia hit man caught up with you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

EdwardH wrote:When I first started growing Bonsai, I made my own medium using combinations of loam, sand, grit, peat and whatever was lying around. Then after a few years I started buying Ray Nesci's mix and used that for a number of years. Ray advised me that his mix was designed for trees which were ready to be potted up into bonsai pots, essentially show quality and that if my trees were still in the usual black plastic pot then commercial potting mix was quite OK to use. So I changed again :) My experience tells me that most mixes will give good results if you fertilize and water well. The only difference that I have found is that the mixes with high organic content tend to get curl grubs in them whilst those with high inorganic medium rarely get curl grubs.
Moral of the story is to be flexible, try different mixes and most of all enjoy your trees! The hobby is about enjoying growing miniature trees to look like those that we see in nature. The day that you have set your mind like cement is probably the day that the local mafia hit man caught up with you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regarding commercial mix for plastic pots, what brand/product type do you buy normally?
Do you mix 40% commercial and 60% inorganic matter?
Kind Regards
Allen
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive

Post by EdwardH »

Hi Allen,
ATM I'm using Scott's Multi purpose professional mix. It has osmocote and trace elements in it and comes in a large orange 50L bag. I use it as is, no additives except fertilizer. I even grow a pine in it (only three years old, grows well). I hope to have a few trees ready to plant into bonsai pots next year so will but a bag of Ray Nesci's mix for those.
Eddie
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

EdwardH wrote:Hi Allen,
ATM I'm using Scott's Multi purpose professional mix. It has osmocote and trace elements in it and comes in a large orange 50L bag. I use it as is, no additives except fertilizer. I even grow a pine in it (only three years old, grows well). I hope to have a few trees ready to plant into bonsai pots next year so will but a bag of Ray Nesci's mix for those.
Eddie
Thanks
Kind Regards
Allen
mushishi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: shimpaku
Bonsai Club: learning at Bonsai Matsu only so far

Post by mushishi »

Thanks for the links bonborn. I have been looking for diatomite for a while. I have now ordered some.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!

Post by Elmar »

So it seems that,
Growing starters in potting mix will help them grow thick and string fast (due to its design and research), but it he a tendency to permit/encourage curly grubs;
Bonsai soils, what ever the mix, is then used to mature and define the Bondai into its more final stage.

Is that a correct summary of what has been discussed above?

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:So it seems that,
Growing starters in potting mix will help them grow thick and string fast (due to its design and research), but it he a tendency to permit/encourage curly grubs;
Bonsai soils, what ever the mix, is then used to mature and define the Bondai into its more final stage.

Is that a correct summary of what has been discussed above?

Cheers
Elmar
I think so.
Nursery Soil mixes are used for display, mature and bonsai ready. Whereas standard potting mix is used to develop as well as creating your own soil has its perks.
Still willing to experiment on 3 starter pines. 1 inorganic mix (fertiliser granules added), potting mix and nursery mix. Then add Rooster booster in a fertiliser holder/liquid fertiliser and let the experiment begin.
Kind Regards
Allen

Return to “Availability of supplies”