Options for tool alternatives?

Where do you get it?
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Options for tool alternatives?

Post by SueBee »

Hi Folks, A question for you experts. Are there alternatives to the Bonsai tools recommended? For instance can one use ordinary scissors (sharp points) and secateurs/wire cutters/clippers instead of the expensive Japanese tools? I understand that for some uses the Japanese tools would be best case scenario (as in removing branches with concave cutter to get a goot resealed scar) but is it true of all Bonsai tool uses?
Thanks for sharing.
Sue
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: Options for tool alternatives?

Post by tgward »

whatever does the job to good effect-"-it's a poor tradesman who blames his tools"
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

As far as I'm concerned a concave branch cutter is the only tool that does not have a cheaper alternative you can get at the the local big box. Don't get me wrong I love my set of Kaneshin tools, but $120 for a wire cutter from Japan is hard to justify when you get one for $5 from the local hardware that does the same job.

Cheers,
Symon
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Floral snips are cheap and just as effective for pruning smaller twigs but does not have the same reach as the longer bonsai scissors.
Secateurs can snip slightly larger twigs and branches. OK for rough pruning while trees are developing but cannot prune close like the concave branch cutters when you want it to look really neat and heal flat.
A simple bent steel bar, table fork with tines bent or chopstick are all cheap and good for raking soil out of roots.
Cheap secateurs can prune roots nearly as well as root shears. They won't stay sharp for long when cutting through gritty potting mix.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

delisea wrote:As far as I'm concerned a concave branch cutter is the only tool that does not have a cheaper alternative you can get at the the local big box. Don't get me wrong I love my set of Kaneshin tools, but $120 for a wire cutter from Japan is hard to justify when you get one for $5 from the local hardware that does the same job.

Cheers,
Symon
The $120 kaneshin wire cutters are the top of the range stainless I think? Pretty sure the carbon is half that for the same size (200mm long cutting wire up to 6mm) etc at around ¥5000 ($60 AUD). I got these and love them.

Any old wire cutters are fine when you're just cutting a length off the roll, but when it's biting into a brittle branch it's a different story. I could never go back to any other type of non bonsai wire cutters, they are designed so you can remove wire against the bark without damaging it.

I'm not saying it's a tool that anyone needs to rush out for, but when the partner asks you for an idea for Christmas, shoot them a list ;)

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on March 14th, 2018, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Saving wire by unwinding it is more expensive than you think. That branch or twig you just broke took how long to set now its not there. Wire is cheap when you look at it that way.
Brings us to tools. The first tool should be wire cutters, most other tools can be improvised, cutting wire of the roll with side cutters is fine but try it on a branch.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
John(JP)
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples & Elms
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by John(JP) »

Suebee,

I started into Bonsai 4 years ago and because i did not want to spend a lot before I got really involved I purchased a cheap Bonsai Tool kit from eBay(if memory serves it was $42 for a 10 or 12 piece set) - now I do look after things but except for the one(1) very expensive set of bud shears I have(Masakuni) I still use daily the eBay set and they perform beautifully - and they came with a carry case.

John Paton
CBS
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Thank you everyone.You have put my mind at ease somewhat. :cool:
I tend to use whatever does the job at the time and did not want to appear "cheap' by using what I have if I ever attend a club. I have ordered concave cutters as I know I need those, so all good. I use some very long thin and strong stainless steel german scissors that I regularly have sharpened by a professional knife sharpener - they cut small twigs and leaves easily, and the narrow point gets in to even the most congested Juniper. My wire cutters are just your everyday ones as are my secateurs and pruning saw. I often use a serrated bread knife on potbound roots...and the good old chopstick is a favorite de-tangler.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

delisea wrote:As far as I'm concerned a concave branch cutter is the only tool that does not have a cheaper alternative you can get at the the local big box. Don't get me wrong I love my set of Kaneshin tools, but $120 for a wire cutter from Japan is hard to justify when you get one for $5 from the local hardware that does the same job.

Cheers,
Symon

I am new to this forum and therefore just browsing some recent posts. I agree - whatever does the job but... I highlight the quote above because I came across Kaneshin tools and they are what I use. Call me superficial (and a tad taken by the romance of using traditional tools) but it's does feel good to use quality tools and I love the service you get from Kaneshin. I am sure there are many other suppliers - Masakuni being at the top of the tree probably but I am a Kanehin fan. :yes:

Buy direct here http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com I have found there customer service rep - Masashi Nishimura - to be the most polite man.

Cheers

MJL

PS - Please note: I am a full on amateur, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I am just reflecting my experience dealing with Kaneshin - I am not saying I know how their tools rate in comparison to others on the market. :|
Last edited by MJL on March 15th, 2018, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Some trees will "positively die" from embarrassment, if you don't buy the really expensive top quality brands.

No....wait...sorry ..I was thinking of recent shopping trips with my teenage kids.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

:D :tu:
Some trees will "positively die" from embarrassment, if you don't buy the really expensive top quality brands.
I can so relate to this with my kids when they were teens... :o "must have "that" brand not "this"..did I learn nothing? :lost: :lost: :lost: ;)
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

SueBee wrote::D :tu:
I can so relate to this with my kids when they were teens... :o "must have "that" brand not "this"..did I learn nothing? :lost: :lost: :lost: ;)
Yeah, my kids are probably not the problem here.... it’s me. I try to mask my desire for Japanese tools with thinking like .... ‘Hmmm, this is a patient art, rooted in (pardon the pun) ancient traditions and with little technology to disturb the process ... I’m going to buy me some hand-made tools and somehow feel connected to that past.’ Or something like that ... the truth is probably more superficial. [SEE-NO-EVIL MONKEY][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Nope I am the opposite - I think "if they use that tool what can I use instead?" Always trying to to do the "other" thing. I do now have concave cutters because I could not work out an alternative tool. All others I have an alternative of some kind..yes they work for me and work well - yes I would like lovely Japanese stainless steel expensive tools - no I do not 'need' them....hmm .....wonder how often I have to say this for it to become entrenched??? :palm: :lost:
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mel,
Definitely with you on this one. I have my concave branch cutters, but apart from that the rest is a medley of tools from all over, including a very fine pair of manicure scissors for cutting small shoots out of tight spots and an old pair of needle-nosed pliers that come in handy when wiring. I bought a set of various tweezers on Ebay to pluck the tips of my cypresses, but found I use only one particular one almost exclusively. I think it's mostly a case of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) for us amateurs. :2c:
Cheers, Frank.

Return to “Availability of supplies”