Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Re: Pricing Bonsai stock and trees

Post by Bonbon »

Blackie wrote:
bodhidharma wrote:.... When Ray retires, we'll see the decline of the last of one-stop professional bonsai businesses in Australia.
Don't we have Leong and Kingston? And Clinton Nesci too, remember?
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

How about BonsaiSouth? Leong is doing extremely well, right?
Also Kingston Wang. Last time I visited, he got planty of customers, some are from Newcastle.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Bonbon wrote:
Blackie wrote:
bodhidharma wrote:.... When Ray retires, we'll see the decline of the last of one-stop professional bonsai businesses in Australia.
You need to read more closely BonBon 8-) It was not me who made that statement nor would i
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

cre8ivbonsai wrote:As a "hobbyist"
Edit: Sorry just wanted to clarify (as I can't edit my post) I'm an Enthusiast who's enjoys Bonsai as a "hobby", as opposed to a "Hobbyist" who runs a "small business or cottage industry" :palm:

I know, not really important to anyone else, but it was bugging me, so I thought I'd correct :whistle:

- Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonbon »

bodhidharma wrote:
Bonbon wrote:
Blackie wrote:
You need to read more closely BonBon 8-) It was not me who made that statement nor would i
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY :palm:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I have just re read most of the posts here, and there is mention of location. That is something I can vouch for, as I have been fortunate enough to travel and see prices in other places than where I live.
Having seen what trees sell for in the Eastern States compared to Western Australia. That is why most of my sales trees are still with me.

We have a nursery here that fluctuates between being open and not. I have spoken to the owner, he has asked if I am willing to travel intrastate to teach? I have said yes.

How much do you charge was his answer, my answer was, if it is a small community that has a couple of members and we are only talking a basic how to start, then nothing, just costs IE fuel and accommodation and I am willing to billet with some one to save cost.

His answer to that was, you cant do that it is BONSAI, you have to charge them at least $50-00 per person plus at least $ 500-00 for cost and such.
Needless to say I did not bother.

Because I believe small communities need help with projects like this, I did one in a town called Queduex a very small wheat belt town, there were 3 people we had a fabulous weekend and it cost them a Sheep for the BBQ and one to bring home. I was fortunate at that point to have a nursery that would let me take stock on sale and return.
What I am trying to say, that JUST because it is Bonsai, it does not have to have that TAG. The need for fairness and Quality in all things is what is paramount.
That means for both party's.
Again no easy answer.just another :2c: this is getting expensive at :2c: a time :lol: :whistle: Pup
edit typos
Last edited by Pup on April 6th, 2011, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Greth »

Ya don't have to charge $50 for a talk, esp for beginners.
You want to get more people addicted to your hobby, the best way to start is free or very cheap. At a talk like that I would just be charging a couple of dollars for green tea and rice crackers, or whatever the Japanese equivalent of coffee and milk arrowroot bikkies is. Actually you will make a surprising amount on green tea and rice cracker sales!
I give away herb seeds (stuff like calendula and German chamomile) packeted and labelled, alongside my $2 sale seeds. Seed envelopes cost me 5 cents roughly, so the profit percentage on seed packets approaches enormous. Also dead easy to carry, all set out in their box, keep for ages with no care. Sometimes someone actually takes free seed without buying something else, this is very rare, most of them are so grateful they go on to buy a few packets of seed, or a plant. what me and Mr Coles call a loss leader, it does work. Seeds are one of the easiest and cheapest products I do, and also one of the most profitable!
Thinking of which, I was considering my bonsai buying habits, so I can give the nursery people some indication of what you could do to attract people like me to bonsai nurseries.
One thing which would have me looking for the carkeys instantly would be knowing my bonsai nursery has conifer and tree seeds for sale. These are generally quite hard to get, If I knew somewhere I could go to see a range and pick some out I would be there in a shot (and walking past all your trees and pots in an interested and spending mood)
2. Just because you sell bonsai doesn't mean you can't also retail other garden products. If you use Dynamic Lifter, or have a favourite potting mix you would recommend for grow boxes, why not get some in from a wholesaler and retail them at a convenient price a bit below Bunnings? A couple of bags and a sign out the front and you now have a lot of gardeners entering your sales yard. People are creatures of habit, once they start entering your yard, if they had a good experience they will be back again and again and one day find an excuse to buy a tree or a pot.
3. Gift and decorative items with a Japanese theme could have a prominent place too. Like the lovely pieces Pup uses to set up a full display, but also appealing to house decorators.
4. Bonsai takes knowledge, beginners workshops with tea and crackers could get a lot of people started, give them the chance to ask the questions which will set them up as bonsai people. Make sure it is fair trade tea!
5. Love Bodhi's idea of good plants in growpots ready to go for styling. I spend quite a bit of time and money checking regular nurseries for hopefuls, would love to have a great collection all in one place. Icing on the cake would be a few notes on a recommended style for each plant, if the salesperson doesn't have time to explain individually. Here is the value adding onto an ordinary nursery plant, a five year plan included, which takes only a couple of minutes to write down for each plant, but could about double its value. If you presented in on a little scroll, how cute and how much more money?
6.Provide a layby service for those who want a good plant, but can't afford it on a single day. If not paid up after 6 months, owner keeps the plant, unless an extension is specifically arranged.

I know I am being extraordinarily talkative on this thread. The brain is very active on considering ways to improve my own business, this is just the sidestream of the sort of things I am thinking about myself.
Last edited by Greth on April 6th, 2011, 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
rowan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese elm
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by rowan »

I love your posts Greth, they are absolutely on the mark. My best sellers are with seeds also - a great way to sell them is to make up a packet that looks like a matchbook with the seeds indiviually stuck to each 'match' ( with quickly biodegradable glue) so they can be planted individually. These are snapped up as gifts and work well with tree seeds as people don't expect too many of those in each packet anyway. These are easy to print up on your printer.
I have been doing that in the other part of my nursery but didn't think to use the idea alongside my bonsai :palm: Thanks.
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu
http://www.rowansbonsai.com Yamadori nursery.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Pup wrote: Again no easy answer.just another :2c: this is getting expensive at :2c: a time :lol: :whistle: Pup
edit typos
Hey Pup, I hope you are budgeting all these :2c: into the cost of your trees! :lol: You are a real Bonsai Philanthropist!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Andrew Legg wrote:
Pup wrote: Again no easy answer.just another :2c: this is getting expensive at :2c: a time :lol: :whistle: Pup
edit typos
Hey Pup, I hope you are budgeting all these :2c: into the cost of your trees! :lol: You are a real Bonsai Philanthropist!
However, there is always one. I do have an ulterior motive. When the people come for the convention in May bring there Wallets :whistle: :whistle:

As for philanthropy, the only thing I have is time and I might be getting short of that, if the Surgeon slips up tomorrow :palm: :o :whistle: :fc:

Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Dont worry about the surgeon Pup, at least he isn't the same one who did hubbys vas op, hahahahaha but that is another story, one to make grown men weep.
If you are not killing plants, then you are not extending yourself as a gardener..
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Greth wrote:Dont worry about the surgeon Pup, at least he isn't the same one who did hubbys vas op, hahahahaha but that is another story, one to make grown men weep.
I am just thinking :crybye: about it
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Greth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Greth »

Dont think too much Bodhi, it took me ages to talk DH into it, then the surgeon bodged it, and he was walking like a wounded warrior for weeks. Don't think DH will ever trust me on the ' it is just an easy little op, no probs' again.Still a heck of a lot less painful than for me having any more kids.
I am getting the feeling this thread has drifted from original purpose.
Last edited by Greth on April 6th, 2011, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

A little post humor is fine, it relieves tension, gives us time to think and, ouch that did bring water to my eyes :crybye:

Pup

Return to “Availability of supplies”