Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Re: has anyone used this website

Post by Ron »

Damian Bee wrote:...If only we could get the manufacturers name and number in China, we could get it even cheaper :palm:
It's an item I'm really surprised I couldn't find one in any Sydney Bonsai outlets nor from an Aussie retailer online over the past 12 months. I know there's a basic one sold complete with tools, but I would have thought they would be a standard item.

Ron...
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Psymo »

I just love getting side tracked watching Graham Potter vid's. Support your local...but buying online is good most of the time.
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

Psymo wrote:I just love getting side tracked watching Graham Potter vid's. Support your local...but buying online is good most of the time.
Yep ... you can lose a whole day watching Bonsai vids on YouTube. And then you can watch 'em all again.

I think Bonsai beginners these days have probably got it very easy these days in comparison to even 10 or 15 years ago.
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Moopoo, by 'carving set', do you mean hand chisels or carving bits to fit a Dremel or die-grinder type tool?

If you mean carving bits - as per 'Burr's - for above power tools, then I reckon you can certainly buy cheaper here at home.
I have the set at the bottom of the page in the link below. They are Tungsten Carbide with 6mm heads and rip through wood like it's soft ice-cream! Unfortunately, when you click on the set, the page that comes up is blank - they must be upgrading their web-site or something because there was a full description of the product when I bought mine (and they were $10.00 cheaper then as well). Even at $68.00, if you convert that to pounds sterling, it works out at about Stg 44.00 pounds - then postage on top of that. It's not a Bonsai nursery - it's a Lapidary supply outlet in Ballina, but at least it's an Australian company.

I seem to recall one of our members that runs a Bonsai Nursery offers a discount to Ausbonsai members, but I don't remember which member it is.

carving burrs
Regards

Taffy.
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Psymo »

yeah right on ron, i watch time go by on my Tungsten Carbide watch. Is'nt it great to have the priviledge to live in this modern time :?:
Last edited by Psymo on January 7th, 2011, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
moopoo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper

Post by moopoo »

as for what taffy said i was going to buy a die grider and bit sbut arfter what you guy said
i will look around and buy within australia

thank you

moopoo
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

bodhidharma wrote:
Bretts wrote:Sorry but I have said this before. I find the argument of paying more for items by buying local is a little silly. It's really no different than the shop always asking for a donation to stay afloat. "Here Sir here is your tree now we are having trouble keeping the doors open could you put that $20 change in our donation tin please" :shake:

I have used Kaizenbonsai before and they are a great reputable dealer. He also seems like a great bloke.
Recently I came across http://www.californiabonsai.com/
I have ordered a couple of Masukini tools of them at the best price I have seen with a total of $10 postage. These guys are just over a year old but seem great and use Paypal so should be pretty safe. Items should be here within days.

Holding the tools in your hand is a great point but when you know what you want why not I say.
Sory Bretts, cant agree with you on this one. A little operator like myself, by the time the tools get to my hands, and everybody else has taken their little bit out, i would be selling at a loss if i was to compete. The same applies to the people producing goods overseas pots trees etc. Their lifestyle is so much cheaper than ours and their money, though not much, goes further than ours. They do without and would work for very little to change their situation. This is not our lifestyle so we must pay more. Unfortunately our attitude of, i want it cheap and i want it now, has made us so reliant on O.S production that if they pulled the rug we would be in deep doodoo. We are selling our country at such a rate we will not have anything to give our children except wasteland. We have to stop and change our attitude. Support Aussies and pay a little extra, i say :aussie: Phew.. :tu: glad i got that off my chest.

Hey Bodi,
I think the small nurseries including Bonsai are very valuable and if they start to fail because we can now source tools from around the world that would be a bugger, but I just don't see asking people to buy tools/wire at a higher price from Bonsai nurseries as being the answer. Most people will take the cheaper option and if the Nursery needs those sales to survive it will fail.
I am no expert business person but this is how I see it.
If you have a fish shop you need to keep the window full of great fish otherwise people will not bother coming into the store.
Some items for sale may be very low profit but they are there to get people to come to your shop. The more traffic you have through the shop the better the sales will be.
At the same time you have to work out what you can make the most profit from and capitalize from it. If you can't find anything that makes a profit then you will have to call it a hobby not a way to feed the family.

I have seen at least one Bonsai Nursery go through some changes over the last few years and now has a plan for a very profitable business. I have seen some very insightful thinking along with some risk taking that brought this about. Some may wonder if this is best for the bonsai community but I think a happy, financially stable nurseryman is the best for the bonsai community even if the services are less than we are used to. Compared to a nurseryman that is always grumpy because they can't feed the family.

I think it is obvious there is a difference between a punter of the street and an accomplished bonsai practitioner and what they want from a bonsai nursery. The punter is going to be happy to pay the higher price for the convenience of buying their tree, wire, tools, soil and pots all from the one place. Getting advice and maybe lessons.
But what does the accomplished bonsai practitioner want from their local nursery. They have many trees so start to buy stock less often but appreciate that good stock is worth more. They may go through several kilo of wire a year, are looking for more expensive better quality tools, heaps of soil and start to find price more important than convenience.
They have learnt the basics of Bonsai and want to push their abilities by learning from the best.

My guess is that some nurseries will stick to the Punter of the street. Some will make their money from selling exceptional stock better than we have today. The best nursery will be the one that finds a way to cater to them all.
I think this will lead to better Nurseries in the end.

I remember one nursery suggested that if it charged $1 each time some one used the tiolet they would be rich :lol: I think being creative is a much better business plan than playing to the customers conscience.

I do agree we are selling our country off and am not happy. We have major resource deposits in Australia and very little water. Yet we send this raw material offshore and try to make money from farming :crikey: Then we ask people to pay more for Aussie grown produce :palm:
I think we should be smarter and increase industrial production that uses much less water and is much more profitable.
I am no economist so I guess there must be a reason we do it arse about as it sounds dam silly to me?
Last edited by Bretts on January 8th, 2011, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

Lets not forget also that the bonsai shop will source its products that it sells to you from the cheapest supplier, thats the way the world works.

Return to “Availability of supplies”