mtarros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP, Elms, Elaeagnus, Loropetalum chinensis
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: BSQ, Redlands Bonsai Society

Re: turntables

Post by mtarros »

I got a plastic turntable from Bonsai Northside (QLD)
http://www.bonsainorthsidenursery.com.au/

Not sure if you can get them to post you one?
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

Jan wrote:
paddles wrote:I've never had an issue with the one I have... I just want another one for a tool box I'm having built
Very interested in seeing the tool box when it is completed, Paddles.

Jan.

this is what I am trying to get built.
http://www.bonsaitoolchest.com/index.ph ... cts_id=243
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

anttal63 wrote:Hey moj you gonna be at the sale this sunday ??? :wave:
I don't think I can make it unfortunately Antonio. I have a prior commitment. Would you like a turntable? The mailman stops at Villa Grande Antonio, does he not? :D

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on February 23rd, 2012, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:
anttal63 wrote:Hey moj you gonna be at the sale this sunday ??? :wave:
I don't think I can make it unfortunately Antonio. I have a prior commitment. Would you like a turntable? The mailman stops at Villa Grande Antonio, does he not? :D

Cheers,
Mojo

I would love one mate! :hooray:
Regards Antonio:
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

mashby wrote:Hi Mojo, Rudi and everyone.

Mojo are you able to tell me the size and cost of the turntables you have?

And Rudi can you describe the "expensive Japanese" turntable you use. Perhaps, if you could post some photos that would help as well.
I am in the process (it's been a long slow process due to lack of enthusiasm and heat in my shed), of making a large turntable (thanks to Paul at the Bonsai Workshop for his inspiration) for a few of my larger trees, out of a discarded office chair (from the council verge rubbish collection), some wooden cross members and thick plywood. If Paul has his at our next meeting, I will take a photo, if he doesn't mind, otherwise I will show you my effort when it is done.

Cheers.
Hi mashby,
The turntable is a Kikuwa turntable 330 mm with wood top and metal base, they are quite heavy, but very stable. I've got them from Stone Lantern for about $200.00 - not sure if they still got them. The other brand is the Masakuni turntableb ut it's more expensive - it's the "Rolls Royce" and hard to get.
I like the idea with the office chair - post some pics.
Cheers, Rudi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

paddles wrote:
Jan wrote:
paddles wrote:I've never had an issue with the one I have... I just want another one for a tool box I'm having built
Very interested in seeing the tool box when it is completed, Paddles.

Jan.

this is what I am trying to get built.
http://www.bonsaitoolchest.com/index.ph ... cts_id=243
Thanks, Paddles, very nice tool box, would still like a look at your finished product when you get it done.

The image that I had in my head from your original post was upside down; I'd thought that you were going to mount a circular tool box/wire dispenser etc. on a turntable so that you could easily access needed item as you worked. :oops:

The tool chest in the link very nice, too nice for me to use the turntable on top. I'm just too messy when I work and usually do so on a wrought iron table (you know the round ones that come with two chairs). My table is more than strong enough to handle the heaviest of plant/pot combinations. My current tool box usually sits on the second chair, next to me, while I work and I'd thought that a tool box on a turntable would be a great idea allowing me to spin it to reach whatever I wanted. Now that you've planted the idea,( even though it was me that got it backwoods) I'm going to have to toy with designs to see if I can come up with something workable.

Thanks for the inspiration, Paddles; looks like I'll have to order another Lazy Susan bearing.....

Jan
mashby
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives, Ficus, Chines Elm, D
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: WA Bonsai Workshop and Satsuki society of Australasia

Post by mashby »

Hi Paddles

I have just had a look at the Bonsai Tool Chest via the url you posted. Is it right that the dimensions are: 13-1/2"L [34.29cm) x 11-1/4"H [28.575cm] x 9"D [22.86] (Outside dimensions)? With the turn table sitting on it and the handles on the side it looks quite small. Especially the drawers, where they show the tools just "sort of" tossed in there. A more organised design would ensure the tools are not damaged or dulled when in the drawer.

Is the idea for it to sit on a table or work surface, when you are working on your Bonsai, and so that the tree is at eye height?

I was also going to have a go at tryng to make one for myself (and if it works - perhaps for others), but just wanted to make sure of the measurements.

Kind regards
Michael
"My religion is very simple, my religion is kindness." The Dalai Lama
Shane Martin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident maple, Juniper, Figs
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Shane Martin »

Mojo Moyogi wrote:Hi Mashby, my turntables are 365mm diameter and 20mm thick, they are made from steel plate covered with non slip vinyl/rubber top and bottom. A steel spindle in the centre and a series of ball bearings out towards the rim of the turntable allow them to handle the weight of large trees. I've been using mine for almost 4 years now, in all sorts of weather, all it has ever needed has been the occasional squirt of WD40 on the bearings.
turntable 01.jpg
turntable 02.jpg
turntable 03.jpg
Price is $30 plus postage.
Hi Mojo,
Could you please tell me where you purchased this turntable....it looks very well put together and I'd love to get one.
thanks
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Shane, a client of mine brought them back from China and gave them to me as payment for some work I did for him a while ago. I may have one or two left and since it's raining I could ransack the spare room if you like.

Cheers,
Mojo
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

I went to Bonsai Art ( Tel: 03 9551 0725 ) on Old Dandenong Road, VIC about 4 weeks ago. I saw a locally built one for $199.00. Solid metal, aluminum top I think.

(I have no association with Bonsai Art apart from getting my bi-monthly Bonsai Focus from there :))
OwnLeeOne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Elm, Natives...
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by OwnLeeOne »

I used the base of a swivel chair i didn't need, took the seat off and put down a square piece of wood with edges. (A round top may be better) I needed wood to raise one side to make it level. This 'turntable' can hold 150kg or whatever the chair was rated to. I use it in the loungeroom to work on my trees. Really easy to make, especially if u can find someone throwing out old office chairs.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Australia's greatest untapped resource, discarded office chairs :whistle:
Adjustable height, full 360• turning, on wheels and some with platform tilt.
You would almost be mad to pay $400 for a purpose made one :lost:

Return to “Availability of supplies”