Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Naniwa and Nagura (Some great info)

Post by Jester »

Hi there crazy kids!!!

Well lately , I have been experimenting with whetstones in order to make sure my shears and other blades remain in good working order. So far, I can't say I have been entirely happy with the level of sharpness I have been able to achieve on my shears despite my persistence and level of experimentation. I recently purchased a whetstone combo; (ie) 600 grade grit on one side and 1000 grade on the other. For what it does, it does well but I can only still shave "fines" off my thumbnail. Unfortunately it is my anal retentiveness that has forced me to take the issue further. In the last week, I have carried out an extraordinary level of research on whetstones and cannot believe how much I have learnt. Well I guess it's no surprise to learn that in most cases, if you want to learn how to properly sharpen blades, than there's a good chance it will have something to do with the Japanese.

2 Critical things I learnt about the Japanese that I would like to share with you that I think will stick in your mind.

1. The Japanese don't sharpen with one stone, they sharpen with a minimum of 3 stages:

1. Grind
2. Sharpen
3. ** Hone

2. The majority of us (westerners) stop at the sharpening stage. This is where the japanese are just getting warmed up and start bringing out the big artillery

The whetstones available from what I understand are generally available in 2 classes:

* Ceramic (Synthetic) ...I think
* Natural (Of which many say can never be beaten)

Some of the mainstream brands in Japan for whetstones include: King, Naniwa(which seems to be the cream of the crop), Ohishi, Kasumi, Sun Tiger, Suehero, Cerax , Shapton and so on.
For those of you who don't know, whetstones, as the name implies are used with water(not oil) and are generally kept wet during the sharpening/honing process. They come in grades ranging from 60 , 240, 400, 600 , 800, 1000, 2000, 3000, 6000, 8000, 10000, 12000 and as far as 30,000 :o (Yep, that comma is in the right place). (Thirty thousand)

Generally above about the 1000,2000 grit class you can also use a "Nagura" stone. This is a short stocky piece of stone which I'm told is a bit like chalk. When the whetstone is wet, you can rub this on to create a "slurry" which then further enhances the sharpening / honing process. I am currently looking at purchasing a Naniwa combination stone with a 3000/8000 grit class. If anyone knows of anywhere in Australia where this exact whetstone can be purchased I am all ears :fc: I will be going to Japan in April :fc: and also found out that Kyoto and in particular a place called "Sakai" also known as the city of Knives. I can tell u now that I will be going there like a bullet!! This is where you will see stones that are likely to be marked as "Miscellaneous" in that they are so old, the vendors are probably not even aware of their origins.

I hope you have enjoyed this post and would love to know if any of you have had any good experiences with whetstones and would like to share here.

John :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jester on January 29th, 2012, 2:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Naniwa and Nagura (Some great info)

Post by Booga »

Gday john. you got me interested in water stone even if its for my hunting/fishing knives ;) I have heard that they are the best for sharpening blades
A quick google found a few Au dealers

http://chefshat.shopau.info/catalog/pro ... tanrb3jh10

http://www.kizlyarknifestore.com.au/ind ... x&cPath=77
Last edited by Booga on January 29th, 2012, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
Jester
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Hi there crazy kids!!!
Favorite Species: Serissa,Prunus,Cotoneaster,Fukien Tea,(In that Ord
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Jester »

Hey Booga, mate you just saved me a lot of time!!! I had a look at a lot of sites but did not come across Chef's hat. Mate you are a deadset legend. Thanks mate

John

PS I don't know why my searches did'nt pick up "Chef's Hat"??
This message has been created with 100% recycled electrons
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for the info Jester. Sharpening our tools is something we take too lightly here in the west (unless you are a knife man). I use a diamond blade to sharpen my tools but i know they can be done much, much better. In some places on our planet knife sharpening is an Art form.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

Don't count on the vendors not knowing their stuff, its not Bummings staff running things over there 8-)
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Post by NathanM »

Hmmm, interesting post, thanks John!! I have been wandering about sharpening my tools lately.
Lots of info, thanks mate :D
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Great post John !!! No doubt about the Japanese, when you need to know how it is done better that is where you look...Many ways to do something, only one way to do it properly !!! :worship:
Regards Antonio:
Booga
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: acer

Post by Booga »

Jester wrote:Hey Booga, mate you just saved me a lot of time!!! I had a look at a lot of sites but did not come across Chef's hat. Mate you are a deadset legend. Thanks mate

John

PS I don't know why my searches did'nt pick up "Chef's Hat"??
Ge shucks John but Im not sure about being a legend :tu2:
AC/DC died with Bon, And I am on the hwy to hell too...
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

Jester how do you file the concave cutter? I mean the inside of it?
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

pureheart wrote:Jester how do you file the concave cutter? I mean the inside of it?
use a stone with a rounded edge to it. But even then you only take off the burr on the inside, The chamfered face is on the outside only and the inside is flat (relative to the line of the tool)

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on October 5th, 2016, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Availability of supplies”