where to buy stock in the New England area?

Where do you get it?
Rilez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

where to buy stock in the New England area?

Post by Rilez »

hi every one, I am only new to bonsai and currently have 4 young trees.
I am from Armidale and the only place I can find to have descent stock (with my very untrained eye) is bunnings :palm:
I have found some suppliers in the bigger cities but would love to find a more local supplier.
Can any one suggest a supplier or club that I could buy starters from?
thanx
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Re: where to buy stock in the New England area?

Post by Jason »

Hey Rilez,

Two closest clubs would be Coffs Harbour (Tokonoma Bonsai Soc), or in Port Maquarie (Wauchope Bonsai Group) I beleive.

No nurseries that are close unfortunately, closest would be Padre Pio/Bonsai Enviroment/Ray Nesci to the South. Otherwise it'd be Red Dragon or Bonsai World that are North on the gold coast :(

Might be worth having a look on Gumtree too, as you can sometimes find some small backyard sellers that way :tu2:
Last edited by Jason on December 2nd, 2013, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Rilez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rilez »

ok thanx jason. Might make a trip to coffs soon..
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Shibui on this site does mail order, and his trees are, say, about eleventy million times better than the B!@*^%*s stuff. At a rough guess. Or you could order some native tube stock from Narranderah Forestry nursery, get them in the ground, and make your own trunks, to suit your own eye.

Gavin
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

GavinG wrote: Or you could order some native tube stock from Narranderah Forestry nursery, get them in the ground, and make your own trunks, to suit your own eye.

Gavin
Can't go wrong with that :tu2: came home with a boot full of tubestock yesterday after a suprise visit to the local native nursery... and my dad thought we were doing a driving lesson :lol:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Jason wrote:
GavinG wrote: Or you could order some native tube stock from Narranderah Forestry nursery, get them in the ground, and make your own trunks, to suit your own eye.

Gavin
Can't go wrong with that :tu2: came home with a boot full of tubestock yesterday after a suprise visit to the local native nursery... and my dad thought we were doing a driving lesson :lol:
Top stuff! Includes practical tuition and fun in the same trip

Good Question Rilez and you may want to checkout the local garden nuresies to for any trees on our preferred list here. https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... ter_Bonsai

Look for trees with movement in the main trunk, taper and low branching. you shodu be able to find some good stock locally, just not dedicated Bonsai stock.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Lynette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour, Australian National Bonsai Assoc., APBS

Post by Lynette »

There is a club in Armidale, it is only small, but the Coffs harbour club does have contact with them. I do not have any current e-mail address etc, but should be able to find out if you want.
Lynette
Rilez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rilez »

thanx everyone! I look forward to properly checking those places out. I am also in the process of finding out times for the club in town Lynette, and hopefully I will know soon :)
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Armidale Bonsai Soc. No email but the phone number is 02 6772 8120. Mal Chaffey. Also Bunnings Armidale have a small bonsai starters for sale. Just be wary of the quality and also Armidale might give them an environmental shock. They come from Sydney. I bought a Chinese elm from them yesterday in full leaf. It was ordered in for me and in the Nursery section not bonsai. I live in Armidale too. There is a native tree group in Mann Street too. I mean to go there myself. I'm in the phone book, Lightfoot, P.A. I'm looking for someone to be part of my Hort 4 and has a collection. Mal lost a lot of his prize specimens last summer, when his automatic sprinkler system broke down, and the person in charge of looking after them, obviously didn't do their job. If only we realise, our bonsai collections are worth heaps of money and you can only insure them for 1,000 on ones home and contents. And that is no were 50 bonsai, some 50 years old are worth.
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

I've just seen the date of your post. No worries, will look forward to hearing from you.

Return to “Availability of supplies”