Where do you get it?
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Good watering can and Hose Sprayer

Post by Bretts »

I have been using those plastic 9 L watering cans. I mainly only use them for fertilising but I still go through about one a year. I think it is time to buy one that will last what does everyone else use?

I have also been using a gardena Shower spray gun http://www.gardena.com/opencms/opencms/ ... 0203&bls=0
It has done a very good job but it has been battered around a bit and think it is time to try a new one. Maybe one of the long ones. What are others using?
Last edited by Bougy Fan on March 14th, 2012, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Good watering can and Hose Spayer

Post by Jamie »

i just use a 10 litre watering can mate. plastic. i think one a year is pretty good value. i had the garden sprayers but found that the pump goes on them to easy.

jamie :)
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G, day Brett I use a stainless steel 4 and a half litre can ( 1 gallon ), with a long spout and two fine rose heads. This is what I use for fertilising. Also for trace element's it has a fine filter on the opening so no large particle's get through to clog up the head's. Not easy to get hold of and pretty pricey.$ 60-00-- 18 years ago, so it is long lasting though.
For the hose at the moment I am using a gardenia long handle soft spray. I am on the look out for one that Don Burke showed on last Fridays
ACA show. Where he showed the 10 best invention's for the garden. :)

Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Post by Chris »

I just use a hose and a fine spray attached to a fresh water tank as well as a 10 liter plastic container to fertilize.
NO TREE IS SAFE
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

i use the fine mist on the hose sprayer and watering can for the fertilising.
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

They sound good Pup wich model DRAMM WATER BREAKER do you like?
I would love to see a picture of your watering can if you get a chance :)

It gets a bit annoying buying stuff that is destined to fall apart within a year :(
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Bretts wrote:They sound good Pup wich model DRAMM WATER BREAKER do you like?
I would love to see a picture of your watering can if you get a chance :)

It gets a bit annoying buying stuff that is destined to fall apart within a year :(
I like the long handle one he showed. I have to go and get some retic stuff tomorrow might have a look. Will post a pic of the can.
I forgot to say I mix up in the plastic ones. Mine must be better quality coz I have had them 15 years now. But as I said I just use them for mixing. :)

BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

Post by BoNZai »

Hey Bretts,

I have given up on Gardena. They have joined the throw away society. The plastics they use breaks down very easily by UV.
After spending years buying new stuf every year, having water dribbling down my pants and leaks everywhere I have changed some years ago now to brass hose fitings and couplings.

Any replacement parts that are needed here are the rubber rings.

The good thing about brass couplings is that you can really tighten them up with a pair of pliers without any damage

I found a beautiful spray wand with a soft spray head at Mitre-10, light weight alloy. The brand is McGregors. it has a wee tap at the end to regulate flow. Had it now for 6 years
Yes a bit more expensive but well worth it.

I have always found it a bit difficult to find a good watering can for fertilising. It's not the can that is the problem but the rose head.
I have a galvinised 1 gallon can with a long spout and have replaced the original rose head.

I have made a number of different heads from drinking bottle caps in which I have drilled a number of fine holes.
The trick is to get a good pattern of fine holes but with some practice you'll get it right.

With a few plastic fittings they attach easily to the end of the spout. With so many old bits of old Gardena fittings laying around you'll have no problem making it work :D
A drinking bottle cap screws on a plastic treaded Gardena tap fitting with the help of some thread tape

Empty 3 litre orange juice plastic bottles are great too. Again, drill some fine holes in the cap and Bob's your sister!

Cheers

BoNZai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Some interesting hints there BoNZai but I did not take them in very well as I was still dumbstruck from you bagging Gardena :shock:
I have had the least trouble with garnena than anything but that does not mean they have been infallible though. I have never been keen on the brass fittings but then again I haven't tried them much I think it is just the thought of dragging metal around making my hose even more cumbersome.
BoNZai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 19

Post by BoNZai »

Just my experience with Gardena. In parts of our garden they function well and last long, as long as they are in permanent place.
I find when you use them a lot, like lock on snap on fittings, brass ones are more durable.
:)
BoNZai
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

As per your request Brett, I'll post here once I've given my water wand a go. Just bought it today, and it should be MUCH better than the terrible watering can I've been using :D

I has 8 watering patterns: Mist, Centre, Shower, Flat, Jet, Triangle, Vertical, and Cone. I'm particularly interested in seeing how mist goes, as my watering can was far too harsh on the leaves and would displace some soil. It also has a throttle to control water flow, which should be good.
watering_wand.jpg
watering_wand_label.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

pup, brett I bought the Dremm water breaker 170 nozzle attachment ( 170 holes in nozzle fine watering) in alloy alumimium with the 24 inch wand and the trigger adaptor a few days ago from the USA. Looks like it will work real good as ive been looking for something decent for awhile. Ill post pics when its up and running and give you a lowdown on it :P
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Hi guy's could not find a Dremm water breaker to day so I bought a pope till I can find a Dremm.
Brett here is the watering can.
P1070597.JPG
P1070598.JPG
P1070599.JPG
P1070600.JPG
Both the rose's can be turned for a softer spray. 18 years and still going strong.

Edit I take this to work shop's :roll: ;)

Ps Brett I have found this pope wand I bought to be very nice . You have an adjusting tap ( thumb and forefinger type ) for a lighter or heavier spray.
It is recommended for water restriction area's as it reduces the pressure needed. I have used it on the Shito size tree's with no ill affects.
The Gardenia wand will be used in Mrs Pup's fernery and for the cutting's up that end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pup on October 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thats a ripper can Pup Thanks for all the great info guys.
This has been the best price I can find on the water breaker I am just trying to decide on the long or short handle? I think I like the short handle.
https://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=336
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

Bretts wrote:Thats a ripper can Pup Thanks for all the great info guys.
This has been the best price I can find on the water breaker I am just trying to decide on the long or short handle? I think I like the short handle.
https://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=336
That is an excellent price I think my Pope was 35-00 with only a two year wanranty.
And delivery at $8 --00 any where in Australia is great now to confince Mrs pup I need another wand. :!: :roll: :o

Return to “Availability of supplies”