Where do you get it?
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Good watering can and Hose Spayer

Post by Bretts »

My DRAMM WATER BREAKER turned up the other day.
I purchased from here
https://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=336
And the service was excellent with delivery within a couple of days.
The quality of the item is very good it feels well made with very few moving parts to break. The water flow from the nozzle seemed heavier than my last one but possibly softer? I could only do a quick test as it is a future present. This model does not have a flow control it is either on or off but the lever trigger mechanism is a Joy to use and very well made. Taking this into account It may be hard to water only the roots on the smaller bonsai if you so wish.
I believe all parts are replaceable and interchangeable so different nozzles and extensions can be interchanged or replaced. This might help with the smaller trees? I bought the short handled one as I thought it would be handier for me.
I will let you know how it holds up with extensive use.

A good watering can will have to wait :(
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Bretts - thanks for this post, I found it very interesting. I might just invest in another hose sprayer after looking at the link you provided. I have attached a photo of what to do with all those old sprayers that no longer operate how the salesperson said they would. No good for watering, but great for mulch!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Mine are usually in many more pieces after they let me down ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Magzy »

i'm looking to buy a spray wand and would like to know how these one's have held up Bretts.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hi Magzy,

I've used one of the Pope spray wands that Japh showed, it's lasting ok (best I've had so far) only faults I've had so far is; the stainless steel tube has a couple of pin-hole leaks in it (I've been meaning to solder/tape up, but given we're back to a typical Melbourne winter I haven't done much watering recently) and the rubber grip on the 'nozzle' spray selector has come lose (mainly 'cos I leave it out in the sun all year round). Oh and I replaced the plastic connector fitting with brass straight away (instore actually).

I all also can't echo BoNZai's comments about plastic vs brass fittings ... I started replacing cheap plastic ones with brass about 6 years ago (especially the Moss dual/tri brass splitters) and will never buy plastic again, they DON'T leak, last 'forever', and don't burst off the tap under pressure! I've taken them to every rental property since, and when I leave, I leave the crappy plastic one that were already there.

The best thing I've found with this combination (plus a 'heavy duty' hose I was given) is that you can leave the tap 'on' but have it 'off' at the wand, a bit like being on standby, with no leakage ... so no need to wander all the way to the tap, just pick up the wand and start watering :D

Pup, I've been looking for one of those for a couple of years now, but none in Australia?? can only find on evilbay in the US for $$$ big bucks. Anyone know a Melbourne retailer that stocks these, they look VERY nice :tu:

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Both my Hudson sprayer and the dramm watering wand are still going great.

I did find the plastic male attachment that connects to the hose wore away. After going through the second one, It seems to me this is because it is not a perfect match to our local female attachments :?: Gets little chips in the plastic.
I tried replacing with one of our local male fittings but the thread is slightly different. I over come this by wrapping with thread tape and just making it screw in but this did not last forever either. At the moment I have run out of either and have gone back to a pope trigger BUT, My watering is taking probably three times as long and it makes me realise how much easier the Dramm watering wand is to use.
With our great water pressure it puts ALOT of water on very gently and I will be sure to have mine back up and running before spring gets here.
If there is an Aussie equivalent to the dramm water wand I would be sure to give it a go, or maybe a different attachment other than the gardena that I use may solve the issue.
Magzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Magzy »

Thanks for the info guys, i'm sort of leaning towards the Dramn but was wondering about that connection being compatible with ours. My old man has been watering his lawn longer than i've been alive and thats 40+ years and i've never seen plastic fittings on his taps, maybe because he cant get the original ones off. Brass is definitely the better choice but as they say you get what you pay for. Cheers.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

I found this while looking on EBAY, not sure if its any good, but by the description, it sounds pretty gentle. how small are the holes on the dramm full flow wand?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
BonsaiElmo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by BonsaiElmo »

I have ordered a Haws plastic watering can off ebay

I also ordered one of these to try out, it was only 5 pounds and as I was already paying postage. Pressure control and blockages may be an issue.

That wand looks interesting, I just bought a Maiban tool bag and it seems really good. Not sure if that says anything about their hose attachments.
Last edited by BonsaiElmo on August 19th, 2011, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Bretts wrote:It gets a bit annoying buying stuff that is destined to fall apart within a year :(
Hey Bretts, a bit more than a year on and my Pope spray wand is falling to bits :evil: so I'm on the verge of buying a Dramm TNF 76cm, so I was wondering ... after 2 years now would you still recommend Dramm as durable products?

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

If anybody from Perth wants a quality steel Haws can with the fine nozzle there is a little nursery down here that has a few and also is having a closing down sale at the moment. The big ones 9l were about $140 I think but are 25% off now. There's also a 5l one. I can bring one up to Perth and leave it with someone from the workshop if anyone would like me to get them one :)

cheers,

neal.
Last edited by nealweb on November 3rd, 2011, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

I have a Dramm watering wand and its great, you can adjust the flow by careful use of the trigger.

Mine also leaked at the attachment to the hose, the male was a little small for the female, which is a Gardena fitting. The thread is 3/4 inch american, bunnings has a couple of different brands, changing mine solved the leaking problem. I also found the valve gets a little sluggish after awhile. It is brass in an alluminium guide, a little corrosion due to fertiliser and hard water stiffens it. A bit of silicon grease every now and then keeps it like new. I have been using mine for over a year now and its the best watering wand I've had.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

cre8ivbonsai wrote:
Bretts wrote:It gets a bit annoying buying stuff that is destined to fall apart within a year :(
Hey Bretts, a bit more than a year on and my Pope spray wand is falling to bits :evil: so I'm on the verge of buying a Dramm TNF 76cm, so I was wondering ... after 2 years now would you still recommend Dramm as durable products?

Cheers, Ryan
Yes I would still recommend this. Some of the fins on the rubber handle have started to fall off but I leave it in full sun every day and it is not a big issue for me. The trigger is leaking a little when I push the trigger. Again not a big deal and maybe it just needs a clean or something as Paul suggests.
I would be lost without this waterer. We have excellent pressure here and this cuts my watering time by at least a half. Without this it feels like my watering time takes FOREVER. With watering sometimes three times a day that is a big difference.

I had a pm recently asking witch nozzle I would recommend this was my response.
I got the 40cm [shaft] as I thought it would be a handy size and it generally is. Only occasionally would I wish for the longer shaft. I got the 400pl head. It is pretty soft but does occasionally need some care not to wash soil off as even though it is very soft it puts out alot of water. I would like to try the 1000pl to see how they go. The 400pl is a little much for my veggie seeds at the moment but I should not really be using it to water them
We have GREAT water pressure here and that makes watering a breeze with the Dramm. Low water pressure may not work as well with these.
I think I will get one of those 1000pl now you mention it. I would recommend you get one 400pl as well as 1000pl. Might sound expensive at the moment but these are a great waterers and with decent water pressure I would imagine it would be a joy to use with the option of either head.
I would also order a couple of extra "male" hose attachments. They are only 50c each I think but not easy to find at your local store and I have gone through a few.
Last edited by Bretts on November 3rd, 2011, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Thanks Paul and Bretts for both your thorough recommendations and assessments ... Dramm it is then :tu: I'm leaning towards the Dramm TNF 76cm wand, and Dramm 1000PL-N Green breaker head and can't wait to have some quality watering equipment "on hand". Looks like "Forestry Tools" is about the only stockist in Aus :lost:

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I remember Forestry tools being good on price and service but there is another place in Australia that I know stocks them.
http://www.gardencityplastics.com/dramm.htm

They are also great for pots medium and other general commercial gardening stuff so check out their other products before you get the dramn sent out ;)

Just around thew corner from Ray Nesci figuratively speaking ;)

Return to “Availability of supplies”