cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Good watering can and Hose Spayer

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Yeah did see those guys :reading: , though they didn't have pricing on their web page, and their Monbulk store (which is just a bit closer :lol: ) is only open Mon-Fri, which would require a special day off :palm:

So I'll check out a few of the local garden centers while I mull over how much hard earned I'm willing to part with, but I'd say Forestry Tools looks the way to go for only $8 freight.

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by 63pmp »

My version of the dramm is the "touch-n-flow", 60cm wand. I can definitely adjust the amount of water coming out of the head by adjusting the hand presure on the trigger, it can go from dibble to full shower and back again to dribble very easily. They also have a special nozzle for low water pressure systems. What I like is that my wand doesn't drip when I release the trigger, the flow just stops instantly. The unit seems quite robust, but I don't throw it around much, though I can drag 30m of 19mm hose behind it without feeling like the attachment is going to break, which is a good feeling.

Paul
"The older I get, the less I know"
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Woohoo :D picked up a Dramm wand as a b'day pressie to myself, found a couple at the local nursery, but got the last of the good ones, 60cm (i think) red handle with the forged aluminum head (all the others had cheaper plastic constructed heads), little disappointed it didn't come with touch n' go trigger or brass switch (only came with plastic switch and connector), replaced connector last night with a brass one. Haven't had a chance to test it out though, as it's rained each day since i got it :tounge:

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Tried it out today and :tounge: :tounge: :tounge: :tounge: quite disappointed. It's obviously designed for higher water Pressure than is available where I live - I had to turn tap up full to just get the proper flow of which I can see its potential - a very nice soft flow, however my disappointment came when I turned the switch - water kept on dribbling out the head, and spraying out the sides of the switch and connector :evil: even after tightening and replacing connectors. Not impressed for the price i paid, so it's going back for a refund tomorrow and I'll continue my search, maybe I'll find a better suited Dramm product elsewhere. :lost:

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

63pmp wrote:They also have a special nozzle for low water pressure systems.
I'll look out for this one I guess ;)
Cheers, Ryan
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by 63pmp »

Here you go,

This is just like the one I have, but with the normal high pressure nozzle, the wand below it on the website has the low pressure nozzle version, but the nozzles are interchangeable.

http://www.forestrytools.com.au/index.php?id=349

Regards

Paul

P.S. the thread on the hose connector is American thread type, there should be a rubber washer under the connector, if you have Australian thread it will tighten in the handle, but not put enough pressure on the washer to seal properly, water will shoot out everywhere then.
Last edited by 63pmp on November 14th, 2011, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your advise, I have already returned the Dramm and sourced an alternative Japanese product over the weekend, so we'll see how that one goes. :tu: :fc:

I did notice the rubber washer inside and tried swapping/tightening supplied and alternative connectors to no avail, I believe getting consistent/sufficient water pressure was also a big issue (as I live in a row of town houses in the burbs). :lost: So rather than mucking around and spending more money, I returned it for a refund.

Cheers, Ryan
Cheers, Ryan
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: elms,ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by krittas »

just noticed this thread and just wondering if you guys were aware that on this dramm watering sprayer there is actually a sticker with a warning you that the sprayer contains "lead" and tells you that there are cancer risks and to wash your hands after use....Bit dissapointing considering the year that we live in and "Lead" has been banned in most countries due to its orsm health benefits....
Just thought ppl may want to know about this.... :lost:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Sorry to hear it did not work for you Ryan, I have only used the touch and flow not a variable one and with gardena connectors.

Krittas, I think you will find lead is common in these watering products but it is only the better companies that actually warn you about the fact. :ugeek:
http://containergardening.about.com/od/ ... enhose.htm
I still drink out of garden hoses but I make sure the tap has run for a considerable time before I do and only when I am really thirsty :whistle:
Last edited by Bretts on November 18th, 2011, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

krittas wrote:just noticed this thread and just wondering if you guys were aware that on this dramm watering sprayer there is actually a sticker with a warning you that the sprayer contains "lead" and tells you that there are cancer risks and to wash your hands after use....Bit dissapointing considering the year that we live in and "Lead" has been banned in most countries due to its orsm health benefits....
i'd say lead in the wand is the least of your worries, ever wonder what else is in the water :whistle:
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by krittas »

Craig wrote:
krittas wrote:just noticed this thread and just wondering if you guys were aware that on this dramm watering sprayer there is actually a sticker with a warning you that the sprayer contains "lead" and tells you that there are cancer risks and to wash your hands after use....Bit dissapointing considering the year that we live in and "Lead" has been banned in most countries due to its orsm health benefits....
i'd say lead in the wand is the least of your worries, ever wonder what else is in the water :whistle:

LOL im not even going to go there mate...ive seen what water does to A/c chillers and pumps and thats enough.....
63pmp
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by 63pmp »

The whole lead thing sounded strange to me, so I sent the Dramm company a qeurie, this was their reply;

No, there is no lead in the product you own. The State of California requires that any brass carry that warning label or we are open to lawsuits to get us to comply. We use no-lead brass in our brass fittings. Unfortunately, the State of California does not distinguish between the two without extreme cost to prove the difference. It is easier to apply the label to comply.

Paul
krittas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by krittas »

makes alot of sense....be pretty unusual to have a product these days contain lead in the western world....

Thanks 63pmp for doing the ground work and clearing this up :tu:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

A couple of things to update. I think I mentioned that the trigger was leaking a bit on the dramm watering wand. When I was looking for a solution (which there did not seem to be) I noticed that this item has a Lifetime guarantee. So I called forestry tools to ask if there was a fix for this issue and if not ask about the guarantee. Apparently there is no fix but I didn't even have to ask about the guarantee as it was offered to have a new one sent out to me.
So ok there is no fix or way to replace rubbers or anything on this item which the guy at forestry tools agreed there probably should be but he aslso stated that these are just not meant to leak ever and that is what the guarantee covers. Not sure what they have in there that makes them so confident but you can't complain about that :tu:
I had been thinking about getting a 1000pl head. "The softest full flow watering nozzle available features over 1000 micro holes in the stainless steel disc." Hopefully it waters just as fast but is even softer. Not cheap at an extra $32 but didn't hurt considering the good will from the supplier.
I will update how that goes.
Also I came across a solution to the USA male connector and thread. I recently bought a set of hose-link connectors and they have an american thread connector. So with this system all is solved. Well maybe :palm: After some use the hose-link connection started to fail and leak for the American thread one. Gave them a call and as I suspected this great Aussie company sent me out a new one no questions asked. Great, but after a week or so it seemed to be starting again. Back on the phone and after a little discussion they sent me out another two just in case this one did fail and asked me to send the first one that failed back so they could look into it some more.
It seems that the American thread one is made in a different "area" than the main stream ones :?:
But other than that I find the hoselink system great and they are the trusted Australian company that they promote themselves to be.

The sprayer gets a good work out and is still going great :fc:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

I've trialled and failed a lot of hose attachments, in hindsight I've wasted a lot of time and money doing so. There is a good watering wand with a better tap than the Dramm wands (not a difficult task) and decent nozzle at the Wesfarmers big hardware store, it accepts Dramm nozzles too, if you want to use them. Mine runs at the end of a 30m length length of 12mm hose and flows fine using a very cheap pressure pump hooked up to an IBC tank. $14 is what it costs.

Hey mods, can you fix the typo in the title of this thread please.

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on March 13th, 2012, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist

Return to “Availability of supplies”