Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Japanese pots?

Post by Bonbon »

Do you guys use Japanese pots?
I tend use the cheapie Chinese pot since start. Recently saw some Japanese pot and found they are of better quality and the glazing standard is higher.
Are they in anyway more superior to Chinese pots?
Where do you buy Japanese pots from in Sydney area?
How much is the price difference between Japanese pots and Chinese pots?
pjames
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers and Pines
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Japanese pots?

Post by pjames »

I havent used the most expensive Japanese Pots available but i've used some inferior Japanese made pots but they are still good. I got them used from an old bonsai enthusiast. Maybe those pots im using are 20+ old. They don't have stamps but they have stickers that says made in Japan.

I've got a chinese and korean friends that can read the stamps for me. Some stamps says chinese luxury pots and they are good as well. Most of my pots are chinese and they are not the cheapest once. The cheapest once are harder to clean and leave white marks easily. The better once are easier to clean and they look new after cleaning.

I've seen some really good Japanese pots cost more than $300, same size as a $50 cheapie chinese pots.
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

There is no simple difference between Japanese and Chinese pots. We think of Chinese pots as poorer quality because of the mass produced pots we see at the big shed. In fact there are some very expensive hand made Chinese pots - but you can't get them in Australia as far as I can see. Hand made Japanese pots are wonderful. I suggest you keep away from the world of quality bonsai pots, once you know the difference it becomes a very expensive hobby.

If any one has a Nakawatri, namako glaze going cheap PM me. ;)

Where to get quality pots in Australia? I have no Idea.

Cheers,
Symon
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Hi there,

Common Chinese pots made today are inferior because they are low fired clays. Meaning they are likely to leech chemicals into the soil, break easier and don't have the same quality finish as Japanese pots. Modern Japanese pots come in many different qualities, the bad being still better than Chinese though. The good, is a different story. High quality clay and techniques come from the Tokoname area outside of Tokyo to the south on the east coast. The best of japan's potters come from this area, making not only Bonsai pots but tea sets and crockery.

Id suggest learning the stamps and signature of the famous kilns and makers from Japan, there are many to learn, and their stamps have changed over the decades. Some of the ones gaining traction in the US, and subsequently Australia are: Koyo, Bigei, Reihou, Sezan and Youzan, however there are around 100 famous artisans still operating.

Famous Chinese pots (this is where my knowledge falls off a cliff) are from the periods when Japan successfully conquered China, circa 100 -300 years ago. The most recent period of which we call Nakawatri pots. I'm still learning about these wars, periods and the style of pots to expect from these periods. I can tell you that these pots will cost you your life savings, but sometimes there are reasonable prices. These are antiques, and prices are reflecting market value, not the quality of the pot necessarily.

As far as finding Tokoname pots in Australia, you'll have a difficult time. I only know of one bonsai shop in Melbourne who has dared to take on the expensive stuff. People in bonsai just don't know how to open their wallets for quality stuff. However, if you are willing to spend $200 minimum, id suggest you explore Bonsai Sensation Nursery, they have a website: http://bonsaisensation.com.au/ and give them a call and see if they are willing to send you some.

The important thing to remember with bonsai and trees is a simple rule of thumb; 'spend at least as much as you do on the pot as you do on the tree.'

Matt.
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
JaseH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedar, Natives, Prunus, Maples
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Waverly, BSV, VNBC

Post by JaseH »

Old Chinese pots are very sought after and highly regarded. The modern stuff is mass produced junk.

The Japanese still hold hand crafts in high regard - and so there are still makers producing quality pots. Although it is in decline unfortunately.

Having said that its also possible to get cheap mass produced Japanese pots, although these are generally of better quality than the mass produced Chinese pots.

So yes Japanese pots are generally of better quality but you still have to watch what you buy. I often see people charging a premium for a pot just because its Japanese, even though it is a cheap mass produced pot and not by one of the more highly regarded makers.
‘The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
The next best time is now.’
~Chinese Proverb

Hachinoki Bonsai Pottery: FB | WEB
Andrew_Davies
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Andrew_Davies »

Hi Bonbon,
I put up these 2 japanese pots for id yesterday.
If you are interested, let me know. I am near sydney.
Cheers,
Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charliegreen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Charliegreen »

Q. Where to get good quality Bonsai Pots in Australia

A. Learn to hand build pots yourself is the conclusion Ive come to.
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

Adding to Bunce's words on pots . High fired pots made from high fire clays will only absorb around 2% of their own weight in water , low fired pots absorb up to 20% . Also when a pot is high fired the glaze becomes part of the clay rather than just sitting the surface . Because of this high fired pots will last a lot longer. In cold climates like here the high fired pot is essential .
I began making for this very reason , all my pots are high fired .
Graham
bonsaipotterg1@yahoo.com.au
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Andrew_Davies wrote:Hi Bonbon,
I put up these 2 japanese pots for id yesterday.
If you are interested, let me know. I am near sydney.
Cheers,
Andy.

Have they got stamps on the bottom? thats the quickest way to know.

Matt
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
Paul W
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Crape Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Post by Paul W »

Would like to see some of your quality pots charliegreen. do you sell them :?:

I think there are a number of quality pot makers here in Ozz, Pat Kennedy,Marg Fenn,, to name a couple. :worship:
Last edited by Paul W on August 7th, 2017, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.
A. A. Milne
evan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything Shohin
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society, The School of Bonsai

Post by evan »

Bonsai Art in Belrose has recently got a shipment of Japanese Bonsai pots in.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

yixing pots from china are good quality pots , very much on a par with medium range tokaname pots. They have been making ceramics in this area of china for centuries longer than Japan. I know Bonsai Mujo in Adelaide stock them whether they ship out I'm not sure
Cheers
Peterb
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Starfox »

We are fairly lucky here in the EU as their seem to be a number of importers around so it is not too hard to get your hands on nice Japanese pots. I do know some places will ship worldwide so if you are really keen it could be worth checking out although it's maybe easier to source straight from Japan.
I know some potters have an online presence and post their ebay stores or in some facebook groups as well.

Doesn't China have some sort of antiquities law where antiques are not supposed to leave the country, pretty sure that is part of the reason some Chinese pots are horribly expensive.

I have started to pick up a few Japanese pots but not too many at this stage, although it is possibly too many. Depends if the wife is watching.
untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Availability of supplies”