alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Packing and posting Material

Post by alpineart »

This is a question I'm always asked and have been contacted by many buyers who have received material that has been placed into a box and posted . Unfortunately when it arrives it is damaged goods which is not good policy . I dont charge for packaging however it can take up to a couple of hours depending on the stock and volume to be sent .

This material was sent yesterday bound for Sydney
P1130213.JPG
P1130214.JPG
it has had a minor root prune and then back into the planter bags and sealed even the foliage is individually wrapped to prevent breakage , multiple tree's are then wrapped together . The plants , depending on quantity are either packed into trays or simple packed onto styrene pads then secured into custom made boxes to suit each order . Bonsai potted material is treated in the same careful fashion , to date no broken pots have arrived at their destination . This package weighed in at 16 kg .

Even if Aussie post tosses these around I can almost guarantee the stock will not get damaged , A happy customer is the best customer . In all the years of posting material only 1 damaged package has been reported and the tree survived the damage. The "Glass with care" Aussie post stickers are placed on the packages for added security , tracking numbers and signatures are also added .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redsonic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Redlands

Re: Packing and posting Material

Post by Redsonic »

Interesting post, Alpineart. I recently had some young potted trees couriered from Daleys Fruit Tree Nursery and was really impressed with the packaging. I admire you for absorbing the costs, but it is a lot of time and resources to protect the plants as you do.
I wonder if a courier would be kinder than Auspost? Once items get above a certain weight and volume, I have found couriers to be cheaper, too. It would depend, of course, on whether the addressee is business or private.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Redsonic wrote:I wonder if a courier would be kinder than Auspost? Once items get above a certain weight and volume, I have found couriers to be cheaper, too. It would depend, of course, on whether the addressee is business or private.
Hi Redsonic,
Dedicated plant transport couriers would be the best, they deal in large (trade) volumes. Outside of that, if you find a good courier stick to it. I have had hits and misses with couriers and always preferred to use AusPost, just like Alpine, packing securely to get around their rough handling.

Then AusPost went from 2 days Melb-Syd (occasionally next day) and 2-3 days Melb-Bris to an ambiguous "2-6 days within Australia"
:palm:

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on August 15th, 2017, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Redsonic wrote:Interesting post, Alpineart. I recently had some young potted trees couriered from Daleys Fruit Tree Nursery and was really impressed with the packaging. I admire you for absorbing the costs, but it is a lot of time and resources to protect the plants as you do.
I wonder if a courier would be kinder than Auspost? Once items get above a certain weight and volume, I have found couriers to be cheaper, too. It would depend, of course, on whether the addressee is business or private.
Hi Mate , i takes a hell of a lot more time to grow the plant than to pack it , don't get paid anywhere near the time cost for growing . Most want tree's for nothing and free delivery , some people see the value in the material and want it pack safe , I don't cut corners sending material . Aus post has a limit of 20 kg and a 600mm x600mm package limit

Transport couriers around here are not exactly keen on transporting live plants , I have used couriers to send large volumes to Brisbane but they charge like a wounded bull while others flatly refuse .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mojo , to get to Sydney these have to travel to Seymour out of Melbourne before turning around and heading back up the Hume Freeway , go figure and they paid 6 mil' to a head honcho :palm: . I have had tree's sent to Adelaide end up in Brisbane then back to Adelaide, 2 weeks later they arrive , non the worse for the nation tour hence I pack them to survive Aussie Post :whistle:

The couriers I have approached require a pallet cos they don't know how to "bend at the knee's and lift with ease" plus its easier to drive a fork than man handle material

Cheers . Alpine
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I saw one of Alpines posts the other day and decided to touch base with him through AB.

Had great service from the get go with extensive close up photos and care information supplied willingly, along with the trees care history (root work etc).

Today I received the potted Crab Apple we had been discussing after it was shipped with a tracking number for my knowledge. Tree was sent Monday afternoon and arrived at 8:00am today with absolutely no risk of drying out.

The tree was bagged and sealed, before being wired into the base of a cardboard box with pieces of polystyrene both above and beneath the pot. That alone was more than enough to secure the tree safely. It was then placed in another cardboard box of the same size for extra thickness and protection :yes:

It's very pleasing to open a tree and see it has arrived safely. The way it was packaged by Alpine, AusPost could have dropped it and I know it still would have been fine.

Thanks for the quality service Ian :tu: As a buyer the quality of packing is greatly appreciated, even if it's not needed on every occasion.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 6th, 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

I purchased a tree of someone online and the guy literally put the tree with the pot in a box (much bigger in size) and sent it my way. The apex broke and so did top 2 branches. Most of the newly formed buds were gone. The roots were exposed due to the potting mix falling out. The tree literally had no branches halfway up the tree. Very dissappointed. Still waiting on it to backbud in those spots.
Last edited by bonborn on September 6th, 2017, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toshtony
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Post by toshtony »

Hi alpineart out of curiosity how would I go about purchasing trees from you. I'm more of a impulse buyer, don't really know what I'm looking for until I see it.

Cheers
Tony
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Percy001 , mate if you produce the goods you have to deliver them safely , had a damaged package on 1 occasion but no tree has ever been broken or died .

Thanks for the positive feedback , be sure to keep up the standard from my end .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi toshtony , mate simply send me a P.M and request some pics of species , try to be a little specific helps as I have many different trainers on the go mainly Maples , Crab apples , Horn beams , Elms , European pines , Cedars etc .

If I have done a topic here I usually have more stock either in grow beds , grow bags or pots , all of the material has had root work even collect species . Not everything is for sale but most of it is

Cheers Alpineart

Return to “Availability of supplies”