Hprelude
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pyracantha
Bonsai Age: 1

Beginner bonsai tools

Post by Hprelude »

Hi all,

I'm at the stage of looking for a bonsai tool kit and was wondering what everyone recommends for starting out.

Would a kit like this be okay?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171466882821

Do I need everything in this kit or should I buy a few things separately and of much better quality?

If anyone has some good recommendations, please let me know. Thanks
Piscineidiot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Beginner bonsai tools

Post by Piscineidiot »

Personally,

I spent more money and started off with literally, one solid set of branch cutters and some cut-paste. You'll use branch cutters more often than any other tool, and they are fairly indispensable in bonsai (helps you remove branches as flush to the trunk etc. as possible). The cut paste of course, helps you cover wounds etc., and there are not many substitutes for that kind of thing.

Scissors are scissors, and you can get by with a cheap pair. Pliers are pliers too, and Bunnings has any number of them for whatever price you'd like to pay. Jinning pliers are good for what they do, but you can do the same with normal pliers if you're careful, or stanley knives etc.

I do quite like my bonsai wire cutters, so perhaps consider getting some of those down the line. They seem to be able to cut even quite thick wire without effort, or more importantly, causing the wire/branch to twist/shift. Very important, particularly when the wire has started to cut in.

You really don't need a huge assortment of tools for bonsai. A lot of the tools have very specific applications that someone just starting out is very unlikely to need (sorry, I'm just assuming you're reasonably new to the hobby because you're looking for tools).

At present, I use:

- A pair of good quality carbon steel branch cutters
- Wire cutters
- Pliers (needle nose and wide)
- Secateurs (particularly for cutting large roots)
- Gouges/hand chisels (for dead-wood work)
- Cut paste
- A pair of cheap garden scissors
- Various gauges of wire
- Root rake
brodoyouevenbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: aus native, juniper
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by brodoyouevenbonsai »

I went and purchased one of these ebay kits last year as i dont exactly have the money for quality tools. The kits are ok and i am happy with it, but you do get what you pay for. If i had the money i would go with fewer quality tools like branch cutters as Piscineidiot said.
Chris

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
apgar000
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by apgar000 »

I bought the same, for the price I found I got lots for less than going separate and will put good quality branch cutters etc on the Xmas list. Not a bad starter, delivered quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Piscineidiot wrote:Personally,

I spent more money and started off with literally, one solid set of branch cutters and some cut-paste. You'll use branch cutters more often than any other tool, and they are fairly indispensable in bonsai (helps you remove branches as flush to the trunk etc. as possible). The cut paste of course, helps you cover wounds etc., and there are not many substitutes for that kind of thing.

Scissors are scissors, and you can get by with a cheap pair. Pliers are pliers too, and Bunnings has any number of them for whatever price you'd like to pay. Jinning pliers are good for what they do, but you can do the same with normal pliers if you're careful, or stanley knives etc.

I do quite like my bonsai wire cutters, so perhaps consider getting some of those down the line. They seem to be able to cut even quite thick wire without effort, or more importantly, causing the wire/branch to twist/shift. Very important, particularly when the wire has started to cut in.

You really don't need a huge assortment of tools for bonsai. A lot of the tools have very specific applications that someone just starting out is very unlikely to need (sorry, I'm just assuming you're reasonably new to the hobby because you're looking for tools).

At present, I use:

- Wire cutters
- Cut paste
- Various gauges of wire
- Root rake

I second this. Get yourself branch cutters and wire cutters and the rest is for refinement, and if your new to bonsai you wont be doing that for a while.

Matt
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
Granite
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Granite »

I've got one of these kits too. Even the branch cutters have been fine, I rarely find the need to pull out my expensive ones. Well worth the money :yes:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hey guys
Just an aside note when you do buy some decent tools, try to steer clear of stainless tools. The steel is a fair bit softer than carbon steel, this weekend I used my S/S branchcutter to cut a branch that my old C/S cutters of the same size, would have handled with out a problem and they bent open a bit :o . Fortunately I'm a fitter and turner so was able to repair, but have learnt to go easy on them. They cost me a fair bit to :shake: Mr Treeman you warned us :whistle:
cheers
Peterb
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

bunce wrote:
Piscineidiot wrote:Personally,

At present, I use:

- Wire cutters
- Cut paste
- Various gauges of wire
- Root rake

I second this. Get yourself branch cutters and wire cutters and the rest is for refinement, and if your new to bonsai you wont be doing that for a while.

Matt
I agree as well.
You will need long neck trimmers, short sturdy trimmers for roots, a root hook or chop sticks (not a root rake!) and maybe some branch pruners. That will do you for ages and should cost less than a couple of hundred for Japanese tools or possibly half for Chinese.
Mike

Return to “Availability of supplies”