Kaneshin tools!

Where do you get it?
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Kaneshin tools!

Post by bonborn »

Got a set of Kaneshin 4 years ago. The scissors and branch cutter has warped. The blades no longer meet together and thus doesn't give a clean cut. Any idea how to fix.
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Kaneshin tools!

Post by bonborn »

See pics. ImageImage

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Looks like the result of tool abuse :!:

Using them to cut things that are just a little too big using too much pressure has bent the tool. :shake: :shake:
You can adjust both these if you open the tool and hold the cutting part in a strong vice (don't close the vice on the cutting surface) then you can use the handle to bend it back to the correct shape. Just go a little at a time to avoid going too far. Remember the branch cutter surfaces should just slightly overlap rather than meeting point to point. The shears are reasonably easy, the branch pruners are just a bit more tricky to get right because you may need to adjust in 2 directions. They may never cut really well again because it is difficult to get the correct adjustment.

Continuing to use your tools like this will result in breakage at the point they are bending.
You may wonder how I have become so well informed????
P1180823.JPG
I thought these large branch cutters would cut through anything :) - not true :palm: :whistle: :crybye:

I discovered a warning on the Kaneshin website that says you should only cut branches 1/2 - 1/3 of the cutter width or you could break the tool - http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.c ... jpy_1.html (scroll down about halfway to read this.
Good tools should last a lifetime but only if you look after them and use them correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Neil

Great advice there, you should be an engineer.

Probably another goo tip is for some of the carvers out there, if a Power Tool has two Handles use them and get someone to hold or somehow tie whatever you are carving solidly.

OH&S Rules.
JC
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jdceng »

Hi

Whoops I meant GOOD TIP.
JC
delisea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by delisea »

Time to buy a saw methinks.
Silky pocketboy saws work well. I just bought a replacement blade from the Australian distributor.The service was exceptional.
http://www.silkysaws.com.au/folding-saw ... -saws.html
Cheers,
Symon
bonborn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bonborn »

shibui wrote:Looks like the result of tool abuse :!:

Using them to cut things that are just a little too big using too much pressure has bent the tool. :shake: :shake:
You can adjust both these if you open the tool and hold the cutting part in a strong vice (don't close the vice on the cutting surface) then you can use the handle to bend it back to the correct shape. Just go a little at a time to avoid going too far. Remember the branch cutter surfaces should just slightly overlap rather than meeting point to point. The shears are reasonably easy, the branch pruners are just a bit more tricky to get right because you may need to adjust in 2 directions. They may never cut really well again because it is difficult to get the correct adjustment.

Continuing to use your tools like this will result in breakage at the point they are bending.
You may wonder how I have become so well informed????
P1180823.JPG
I thought these large branch cutters would cut through anything :) - not true :palm: :whistle: :crybye:

I discovered a warning on the Kaneshin website that says you should only cut branches 1/2 - 1/3 of the cutter width or you could break the tool - http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.c ... jpy_1.html (scroll down about halfway to read this.
Good tools should last a lifetime but only if you look after them and use them correctly.
Thanks Shibui i'll see if i can fix these. Looks like time to buy a bigger cutter. The branches are getting bigger from when i started.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Looks like time to buy a bigger cutter. The branches are getting bigger from when i started.
That's what I thought so I bought those 275 mm branch cutters in the picture. That's the largest I could find but still managed to break them :whistle:
Symon is on the money: anything thicker than 1/2 the cutters should be sawed first and maybe nibbled away with the cutters or a knife. Trouble is the saw won't fit in all the places I need to cut.... It takes longer....... Much easier and tempting to reach for the branch cutters :fc: :whistle:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

If the scissors are just a bit sloppy and not actually warped; they are fixable.

You need a lump of flat, heavy metal with a hole drilled in it big enough for the rivet of the scissors to just fit into.

You place the scissors on the metal bar and then With a light metal hammer You hit the rivet until the scissors becomes tight again. You then place the rivet in the hole on the bar and tap it lightly once which loosens the rivet and it should be right to go. There is a right way and wrong way to do it, The flattest side of the rivet ( which will have no washer on it) is the side in contact with the metal bar.

But defineatly use tools with appropriate caution. My branch cutters, knob cutters will last 20 or 30 years unless the tip is broken by dropping on concrete floors.

Grant
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jdceng »

Hi There

While we are on tools these are the ducks gizzards for pruning, thick and thin.

https://www.camelidynamics.com/store/pr ... nd-shears/

I haven't used my Japanese Sword Shears since I got them 2-years ago.
JC
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

shibui wrote:Trouble is the saw won't fit in all the places I need to cut.... It takes longer....... Much easier and tempting to reach for the branch cutters :fc: :whistle:
Hey Neil, this saw is quite thin compared to some of the others. I've found it cuts very well in tight spots. Only problem is it doesn't fold up for storage and protection of the blade.

http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.c ... y_123.html

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pearcy001 on February 17th, 2018, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Availability of supplies”