Where do you get it?
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Tools Question

Post by WMC »

Hi all

This is my first post after just joining Ausbonsai. I have been reading, googling, asking etc and i'm sure its been asked 100 times before....

So what brand bonsai tools should i buy????

To narrow the advice, although i have never joined a club or forum i have been doing bonsai for about 10 years and still have the original no name sheers and branch cutter i started with. I think its time to upgrade and i would prefer to spend a little more for good quality than to be disapointed with poor product/tools. Call me sentimental but i like the idea of going Japanese for tradition sake, but am open to suggestion if waranted. I do like the idea of being able to return to the same manifacturer for future tools as needed so a broad range is prefered.

Also any advice on Stainless steel vs Carbon steel and how to best care for each?

So .....
Mid to high quality
Large range of tools
Prefer Japanese (but not closed to good alternatives)
Excelent reputation and service
Stainless steel or Carbon steel (care and cleaning advice)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Warren
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Tools Question

Post by shibui »

There's a number of excellent makers. You will find that bonsai tool users are a bit like car users - they will have a favorite but usually without ever testing alternatives. This probably means all brands are good.
Cheaper tools are made to a budget and may be inferior or unreliable quality so definitely pay reasonable prices to get decent tools.

Stainless tools are now quite cheap. They don't rust but more difficult to sharpen than good black carbon steel. My stainless tools are still sharp after a lot of use so sharpening may not be an issue for most people.
Japanese used to be best as early Chinese tools were cheap and shoddy but now some excellent tools coming from Chinese makers like Ryuga. Some Japanese companies now source some of the range from China.
Many makers have different 'levels'. Probably not a lot of difference between 'beginner', 'intermediate' and 'professional' quality and most hobbyists will probably not be able to pick the difference so price will probably be the determining factor.

Some quality brands:
Kaneshin
Masakuni
Osuka
Joshua Roth
Ryuga

I have heard that direct online sales from Kaneshin is excellent, fast service.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

If I could just add one more to the list - American Bonsai Tool - is said to be of very good quality but I haven't used them.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

i use Osuka and Kaneshin purely because that’s what is easily accessible to me. Happy with both, but haven’t tried a wide variety of makers to offer any deeper comments on their quality
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

WMC wrote:
So .....
Mid to high quality Kaneshin
Large range of tools Kaneshin
Prefer Japanese (but not closed to good alternatives) Kaneshin
Excelent reputation and service Kaneshin
Stainless steel or Carbon steel (care and cleaning advice) Kaneshin offer both, I have carbon

What are your thoughts? Kaneshin

Thanks in advance
Warren
I’m sure there are others that also tick all your boxes, I’m just putting in my opinion... since you asked!
Welcome to the forum!
:beer:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I can’t speak highly enough of the experience that I have had buying only from Kaneshin. Very good tool; very good customer service. They are my tool of choice. The website is a little clunky and the correspondence can sometimes be in broken English but that all adds to the charm. I buy carbon steel and the main thing is don’t let ‘em stay wet if working in the rain. They will rust - that said, easy to clean rust off if you have forgotten to move a tool inside.

https://kaneshin.shop2.multilingualcart.com

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

I can recommend Kaneshin great service and great tool, I have both stainless and carbon and for me carbon are much sharper. Regarding rusting I oil my tools with camelia oil and clean them with a big rubber (can’t remember the name).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

And one more thing Warren, I recommend you join a bonsai club. Bonsai northwest is a fantastic club!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

pureheart wrote:And one more thing Warren, I recommend you join a bonsai club. Bonsai northwest is a fantastic club!
Yep, +1 good advice - I’m over at the Yarra Valley and you learn so much from other members and sharing knowledge. Also - to your point about tools - bonsai clubs sell tools, wire etc... at good rates too.

WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

shibui wrote:There's a number of excellent makers. You will find that bonsai tool users are a bit like car users - they will have a favorite but usually without ever testing alternatives. This probably means all brands are good.
Cheaper tools are made to a budget and may be inferior or unreliable quality so definitely pay reasonable prices to get decent tools.

Stainless tools are now quite cheap. They don't rust but more difficult to sharpen than good black carbon steel. My stainless tools are still sharp after a lot of use so sharpening may not be an issue for most people.
Japanese used to be best as early Chinese tools were cheap and shoddy but now some excellent tools coming from Chinese makers like Ryuga. Some Japanese companies now source some of the range from China.
Many makers have different 'levels'. Probably not a lot of difference between 'beginner', 'intermediate' and 'professional' quality and most hobbyists will probably not be able to pick the difference so price will probably be the determining factor.

Some quality brands:
Kaneshin
Masakuni
Osuka
Joshua Roth
Ryuga

I have heard that direct online sales from Kaneshin is excellent, fast service.

Thanks for the detailed info Shibui
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

pureheart wrote:I can recommend Kaneshin great service and great tool, I have both stainless and carbon and for me carbon are much sharper. Regarding rusting I oil my tools with camelia oil and clean them with a big rubber (can’t remember the name).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Pureheart
Is there any video's or instructions on how best to clean and sharpen Carbon steel tools that you know of?
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

MJL wrote:I can’t speak highly enough of the experience that I have had buying only from Kaneshin. Very good tool; very good customer service. They are my tool of choice. The website is a little clunky and the correspondence can sometimes be in broken English but that all adds to the charm. I buy carbon steel and the main thing is don’t let ‘em stay wet if working in the rain. They will rust - that said, easy to clean rust off if you have forgotten to move a tool inside.

https://kaneshin.shop2.multilingualcart.com

Thanks MJL
Kaneshin has come up a lot in my research. I live in Croydon so in Yarra Valley area.
What Bonsaiclub are you in?
Cheers
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

I can recommend Ryuga.

I have some kaneshin and other japanese brands but for the price I think Ryuga is awesome.
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Add me to the Kaneshin fan club. As well as beautiful tools they come delivered in nice boxes that are then wrapped in Japanese newspaper that's always interesting to look at!
I prefer the carbon steel because I enjoy sharpening. If you do the same, get a block of Crean Mate to keep them clean and looking nice.

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

WMC wrote: Thanks MJL
Kaneshin has come up a lot in my research. I live in Croydon so in Yarra Valley area.
What Bonsaiclub are you in?
Cheers
Yarra Valley Bonsai Society - it is a friendly club. Turn up on the second Tuesday of any month and say hi. No need to join immediately - just get a feel for the club. Details are at the link below. PM me if you need any clarification.

http://www.yarravalleybonsai.org.au

Matt S wrote:Add me to the Kaneshin fan club..... get a block of Crean Mate to keep them clean and looking nice.

Matt.
Yep, as Matt notes - Crean Mate is excellent. It is like an eraser... you use it like a pencil eraser - rub it on your bonsai tools to keep them clean. Easy. You can order that from kaneshin too.

Cheers,

Mark

Return to “Availability of supplies”