Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Sealing putty for thread grafting

Post by BirchMan »

Hi All,

Where would i find putty suitable for a thread graft on an olive? About to duck down to Buzzings to check if it's in the garden section, or is this type of thing primarily used for woodwork or something?

I'm after something like what's used in this thread (no pun intended) on grafting a Japanese Maple.

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=7263&hilit=thread+grafting

Thanks
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Sealing putty for thread grafting

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi Birchman,

I don't know that you can get that particular one anywhere else other than a bonsai nursery or on line.

If you are remote from the Capital cities you may have to try some thing else.

Some people have used silicon.

Grant
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

If you do not have putty or would sealant, then a bit of petroleum jelly will do instead or so I am told.

( I use Japanese cut paste from Ray nesci)

Kne
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

I just went to see my local bonsai nurseryman, he's getting some in soon so i'll leave the graft til then. The purpose of the putty is to keep water out of the drilled hole right?
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by alpineart »

Hi Birchman , i would use extreme caution with silicon as its acetone based , but i have and do use Selleys No More Gaps .Yes i can hear the guys laughing :lol: . It is acrylic /water based and does fill well .It tends to shrink as the graft / layer or cut grows ,but the bark follows suit , if in doubt simply apply some more . Taffy put me onto Kids playdo a few years ago , that works a "treat" however it melts around 30 degree plus in direct sun . I have had excellent results with Japanese Maples , Acer Campestre Trident maples and a couple of Ornamental Maples thread grafting new branches and root thread grafting using Playdo as a sealant , even below ground level .. Cheers Alpineart
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Alan Peck »

Did a thread graft on a maple last spring and used a second thread to fill out the drilled hole to tighten it all up. Used a little cut paste but it was that tight I couldn't get much in the hole. Wrap it all up with Grafting tape to keep out the water and you should be ok.
2into1.JPG
You can lose the filler thread when your ready to detatch the main thread, the trunk should have consumed that as well as it all heals. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Plastacine, chewing gum, dirt mixed with spit, Taffy's playdough, anything that will stick to the tree will surfice in a bind, I have even done thread grafts without using any form of sealer as well - just make sure the thread is really tight in the hole and it should be OK. Oh yes and I have even used Cut Paste and that other sticky paste stuff that comes in the yellow tube as well :lol:

Just re-read your original post. Do not be in to big a hurry to cut the backside of the graft. Olives seem to take a long time to form a unison with the trunk when using the thread graft type of graft. I don't know about other forms of graft, but I have had grafts fail when cut before a year. These were pencil thick grafts as well. I have a couple of grafts on one of my Olives now and to be honest I am frightened to cut them off as they don't seem to have joined the trunk yet and they are way over a year old now.
Last edited by Graeme on April 3rd, 2011, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Sealing a graft is primarily to stop the newly forming cells from drying out so they can continue to grow, heal the wound and (hopefully) unite with the new cells from the other piece. I don't think you want to get it into the joint or it might prevent the growing cambium (just under the bark) from joining up. Just apply it to the outside of the bark and over the grafted area.
Grafting mastic is often available from reasonable nurseries and works nearly as well as the japanese cut pastes, just a bit messier to work with.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Availability of supplies”