Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Corky Bark Trident

Post by Joel »

Does anybody on here have a Corky Bark Trident Maple?

I have seen photos of some, but have never heard of them in Australia. I talked to Clinton Nesci about them, and he claims that they do not stock them at Ray Nesci Bonsai Centre and never have. I would like to know if members here have grown them, or even seen them in Australia.

Many thanks!

JayC
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Corky Bark Trident

Post by Bretts »

Do you have any pictures of the bark of a corky bark Trident.
The bark of the parent tree that gives me all my seedlings has a coarser bark than most Tridents I see as bonsai even mature ones. Checking google images it seems that the full sized trees bark looks much coarser and very similar to mine. I am not sure what a corky bark trident looks like?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

Sorry Brett,

The trees i have seen have been in Japanese books, written only in Japanese. They are basically display books. I do not own any of these books (most seem to be over $200, which, whilst worth it, is not a possibility for me). I know seed variation can give some tridents a bit more bark than others, and some seem to be smooth and others rough. But the Corky Bark Tridents that i have seen in these books have an amazing amount of bark on them. They seem to have even more than the corky elms, and even the true cork oak. If Clinton passes around these books in the coming lessons, ill take photos with my mobile and attach them here for all to see.

JayC
Aaron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Aaron »

Hey, I believe I have one growning in my front yard!!!

Aaron

can take a pic later if you like
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

Yes please! I would love a pic Aaron.

Many thanks,

JayC
Aaron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Aaron »

hey mate, after i took a closer look, im not sure it is a corky bark, cos really its kinda smooth. But i must say its the funniest looking maple i have seen
2009_0527Image0005.JPG
2009_0527Image0002.JPG
2009_0527Image0001.JPG
Hope this helps, sorry if i got your hopes up

Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Post by Milehigh_7 »

Not that it helps you all in Oz very much but Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks in California has developed a variety as seen in the attached picture. You can read about it in his catalogue found here:
http://evergreengardenworks.com/acer.htm
Just scroll down to item 320 Acer buergerianum'Evergreen's Rough Bark'

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Joel »

Aaron,

Thanks for uploading pics of that maple! Are you sure its a trident? It does look very unusual. It seems to ramify well, which is definitely a plus! You taken any cuttings/layering from it for use as bonsai? The silver of the bark would look great if you could get a nice bonsai from it to show leafless.

Milehigh_7, Thanks for showing me that. Unfortunately, that is quiet different from the corky-bark trident i saw a photo of. I will try to take a photo of this photo next time i visit Ray Nesci's but i cannot promise.

I have read on another forum that tridents do vary genetically quiet a bit. Finding something like that from a bunch of seedlings is definately possible, and the Nesci's have brought out a few new tridents from seeding variation. Perhaps one of the 80 seedlings i have will do something interesting in time?

Thanks again!

JayC
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

There might be a possibility that by interbreeding the same plant material you maybe able to increase the parameters to produce such mutation. Similar to that of in-breeding.

However not knowing much on Plant genetics chances could be completely random and too hard to reproduce via any method other than cloning or cuttings.
It may also be possible that mutations might only be achieved via disease in stock which may alter its genetic make up, but then it cant be passed on as it would render the plant sterile, hence only being able to reproduce via cuttings.

So... you may not get the results expected via seedlings, however cuttings is the go.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hi Aaron, I think the tree in your front yard is a Liquidambar.

Cheers Jase
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

JayC,
There's a Corky Bark Trident in this book:

Cheers,
Jase
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Aaron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Aaron »

hey mojo, Im not too sure what the tree is really, ive only been in my house 2 yrs and never really paid too much attention to the tree. But From the leaves it definately looks like a trident. I have several tridents in training, and well the leaves are exactly the same size and shape, thats why i believe it is a trident. It probably looks unusual because the soil is fairly hard clay only a foot down. I planted a 3 metre canadian maple not too far from this tree in the hope of creating same shade in a few years, and well it took me half an hour with the crow bar to dig the hole!!!
Anyways whatever this tree is, i have thoughts on digging it up one day maybe, as its kinda in the way a bit.

Aaron
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

G'day all.
Very old thread, but has anyone ever dabbled in the supposed corky bark trident? I collected seed yesterday from what appeared to be one, but not much information on Google.
If anyone has tried growing them, is it any difference in terms of growth/characteristics compared to a regular trident maple? Do they even exist??
Cheers,
Pearcy.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Never seen one myself but there is a lot of variations between tridents . I have some trees that have produced great bases yet are VERY slow to ramify and budding back is hit and miss at best where some trees are the complete opposite and ramify that easily they need to be heavily thinned out each year. I have a old trident currently in Canberra that gets very Flaky bark but I think that has more to do with age . They are proberly out there but im yet to see one.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Growing from seed you will get the random differences and 99% normal trees regardless of what the parent specimen looks like
if you find something special then layering that tree will guarantee the propagation of that particular feature

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Availability of supplies”