Newcastle bonsai?

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
ma7t
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple, JBP
Bonsai Age: 0

Newcastle bonsai?

Post by ma7t »

Was wondering if there are any bonsai nurseries in Newcastle. I'm heading there this weekend and was hoping I might be able to add a plant or two to my collection.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Re: Newcastle bonsai?

Post by Jason »

Nothing that we have listed on the Directory :( There is a bonsai club in Newcastle though :reading:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

I was up that way a few weeks ago and saw a bonsai sign at a nursery near the Kotara bunnings. Perhaps one of the locals can confirm?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

My In-laws used to live in Newcastle and i tried to hunt one down with no success and i am thorough, but there is a small run down one. in the next small town along. Very average though.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Alan Peck
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Newcastle

Post by Alan Peck »

Hi ma7t,
Deffinatly no bonsai outlets in this neck of the woods. Afraid you will have to troll through the standard garden centres when you see one. Some material can be found in some of these with a good eye. :shake:
ma7t
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple, JBP
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by ma7t »

Thanks guys. That's a bit of a shame, I'm sure I'll still manage to find something to throw money at in a nursery anyway.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

You could go and visit Penny ( Mudlark Pottery) and get some nice pots instead :-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Are there anyBonsai things to see in Newcastle? Going to be in Mayfield from Saturday visiting the "inlaws".
kcpoole wrote:You could go and visit Penny ( Mudlark Pottery) and get some nice pots instead :-)
Where could I find Penny?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Jarad wrote:Are there anyBonsai things to see in Newcastle? Going to be in Mayfield from Saturday visiting the "inlaws".
kcpoole wrote:You could go and visit Penny ( Mudlark Pottery) and get some nice pots instead :-)
Where could I find Penny?
No, its a black hole as far as cultures concerned. Any nurseries worth your time have been squashed by the dozens of bunnings that control the area.

Penny is on here otherwise if you go on fb and look up mudlark pottery there is a landline listed phone number you should be able to get her on!
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jarad »

Andrew F wrote: No, its a black hole as far as cultures concerned. Any nurseries worth your time have been squashed by the dozens of bunnings that control the area.

Penny is on here otherwise if you go on fb and look up mudlark pottery there is a landline listed phone number you should be able to get her on!
Thanks Andrew!

Such a shame about the nurseries, I know what you mean though. I have a bunnings and a master's about 2 minutes from me and 1 of the 2 regular nurseries within that distance has closed down.

where do you all get your bonsai stock from?
-Jarad

Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Jarad wrote:
Andrew F wrote: No, its a black hole as far as cultures concerned. Any nurseries worth your time have been squashed by the dozens of bunnings that control the area.

Thanks Andrew!

Such a shame about the nurseries, I know what you mean though. I have a bunnings and a master's about 2 minutes from me and 1 of the 2 regular nurseries within that distance has closed down.

where do you all get your bonsai stock from?
If im buying it I will go to syd, otherwise its a shovel and someones hedgerow. Theres still a few small nurseries where you can find the odd bit of neglected material that can trained into something halfway decent.

You're in a better position than I am, bonsai world is worth a look. Lots of good stock and really affordable prices.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jarad »

Andrew F wrote: If im buying it I will go to syd, otherwise its a shovel and someones hedgerow. Theres still a few small nurseries where you can find the odd bit of neglected material that can trained into something halfway decent.

You're in a better position than I am, bonsai world is worth a look. Lots of good stock and really affordable prices.
Oh ok.

I could comfortably say I’m up at Bonsai World almost fortnightly acquiring trees and tools and then getting into trouble… I should apply for a job there…
-Jarad

Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki

Post by Andrew F »

Jarad wrote:
Andrew F wrote: If im buying it I will go to syd, otherwise its a shovel and someones hedgerow. Theres still a few small nurseries where you can find the odd bit of neglected material that can trained into something halfway decent.

Oh ok.

I could comfortably say I’m up at Bonsai World almost fortnightly acquiring trees and tools and then getting into trouble… I should apply for a job there…
Yeah thats good, Ash and co have filled a massive hole in the market for north of syd, it was long overdue.

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”