The Imagination Tree Retail Nursery changing hands?

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Re: The Imagination Tree Retail Nursery changing hands?

Post by Meagi »

Hi yes I have been to this nursery and jeff is doing a wonderful job in such a short time

Some very nice trees at competitive prices .

I'm sure he will get there in time but like Mojo said it all takes time
Daniel1986
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Daniel1986 »

Hey Mojo, Sorry if I hit a nerve but I did ask the stuff member when more stock would be available and the stuff member could not give me an answer. I also asked the stuff member a number of times about pricing and could not get an answer which I found a little strange and this staff member was the only one on site. The comments left were only my view of the place on the day. I'm sure every one me including are hoping it does get back to it's former glory.
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Daniel1986 wrote:Hey Mojo, Sorry if I hit a nerve but I did ask the stuff member when more stock would be available and the stuff member could not give me an answer. I also asked the stuff member a number of times about pricing and could not get an answer which I found a little strange and this staff member was the only one on site. The comments left were only my view of the place on the day. I'm sure every one me including are hoping it does get back to it's former glory.
Hi Daniel, It seems that Jeff wasn't there and the staff member that you spoke to was just from the regular plant nursery attached to Shojo. It happens.

You haven't hit a nerve, not one of mine in any case. I'm a supporter of what Jeff is trying to do and as others previously have said in this tread, it can only be good for bonsai.

Cheers,
Mojo
Last edited by Mojo Moyogi on February 3rd, 2013, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
eliass
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

The Imagination Tree Retail Nursery changing hands?

Post by eliass »

I have to throw my two cents in... Jeff has great plans for the place they haven't officially launched yet the nursery is still undergoing some renovations. I have already bought a couple of trees and pots and my experience has been very pleasant..

Give them a second chance.

Ps no affiliation to the nursery
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Jeff needs all the support he can get if Melbournians want a good bonsai nursery in the future then he is the guy who will do it for us. Running a bonsai nursery is nothing like running a general garden centre you can't just hop down to the wholesaler and restock so of course he wouldn't be able to give concrete dates when stock is coming in, tracking down good quality bonsai stock will take time.
Craigw
siddhar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine,Cedar,Maple, Elm
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by siddhar »

Daniel, the current operators of what was The Imagination Tree have just recently re-opened as Shojo Feature Trees. The Imagination Tree, before the old management left to follow other pursuits was a shadow of it's former standard back in the early to mid 2000s. I believe that the the intention of the new management is to return the establishment to where it was in the past and more, but these things do not happen overnight and by admission of the current manager, the place is in transition. The nursery stock that you are speaking of would almost certainly be remnants of the previous management, the new manager assures me that in time this stock will be replaced by better material.

With this in mind, perhaps in the future you could speak openly to the staff and management in person about your grievances and get the full picture (in a nursery there is almost always a valid reason for any quality issue perceived or otherwise), before you write about them on the forum.

I have no affiliation with the nursery, but I know the manager and have spoken with him at length about his plans for the place, as someone who has spent thousands in the old Imagination Tree in the past, I am looking forward to what will come of his plans and am confident he will receive my business in the future.
I too knew "Bonsai The Imagination Tree" very well, and have spent thousands of dollars myself over the years. Bonsai The Imagination Tree grew to be a very successful business over many years, due to the passion, vision and determination of the business proprietor (who I will not name here, as I too have no affiliation with the nursery, former/or future). Before the nurseries takeover in late 2005 ish this was the ONLY place I would go to buy top quality, competitively priced trees in all shapes and sizes. To reproduce a business that was "Bonsai The Imagination Tree" over night is an impossibility. If you were privileged enough to have met the original owner of this business, you would know that this sort of vision could only be achieved by a certain few.

I know Jeff personally, and I don't think he expects to recreate the past, in his own business venture. I was relived when he told me he had taken over what was the old "Bonsai The Imagination Tree" and now he has his own vision for where he wants to take his bonsai nursery into the future. Any small business proprietor when starting out, and when trying to keep afloat doesn't have the capital behind them to buy in huge amounts of stock, but with our support over a few years he will get there. I have been to every bonsai nursery in Melbourne and am struggling to find a nursery that is consistent, competitive and quality driven.

I will continue to support Jeff in his endeavours.
Last edited by siddhar on February 3rd, 2013, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be like water, my friend.”

Regards, Sidd.
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

I agree with Mojo, Elias and fully support Craig W and Sidd's comments!
We too knew the original owner of "The Imagination Tree" as well as the management after the transition to the last establishment and it's closure.
YVBS is very pleased that Jeff - who I also know personally, took the business over to make it his own - which naturally will take its time. We've had "The Imagination Tree" previously and now have "Chojo Feature Trees" as a Major Sponsor and in turn have and are supporting their business now. Give it some time and you’ll be rewarded.
Check out our website http://www.yarravalleybonsai.org.au and watch the space of Jeff’s logo - soon he’ll have his own website, which you’ll be able to access from there.
We wish him all the best in his new venture and endeavors!
Cheers,
Rudi
Jeff
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jeff »

Daniael1986. I apologize for your experience at the nursery and believe you deserve an explanation. The “staff member” you are referring to is a “work experience” volunteer that has been with us for two weeks. The position has been appointed by a government agency that provides experience for people who are looking for work. By no means was she a staff member. She was advised to call if there was a customer that requested information. I was informed and just missed you. I was gone for no more than 30 minutes. Again I apologize and hope you will come again. I will do everything I can to provide you with the stock you are looking for.
The area where we keep “raw stock “ has had a tree removed and a fence built. In order to avoid damaging the stock, we removed it to our other property until the work is complete. I can assure you we have an excellent selection of stock for both beginners and experienced enthusiasts. I have decided to keep the nursery open during the renovations in order to provide an example of established bonsai for the general public and offer a small selection of stock for those who practice the art. There will be more stock arriving over the next few weeks and the renovations should be complete in March. A website and facebook page are being worked on as we speak.
Many thanks to the friends and clients who took it upon themselves to share their experiences and for their continuous support. Thanks to the Yarra Valley Bonsai Society and all of the Victorian clubs that have supported me over the transition. Congrats to Grant and the NPBCA. Craig. I enjoyed what you and Lindsey had to say about the bonsai artist from the past. Very inspiring. Bonsai has a rich history in Melbourne.
For those who do not know me, I have been in the industry for 13 years and have had the opportunity to learn from both local and international bonsai experts since moving here from Vancouver, Canada. I worked with the original owner of The Imagination Tree from 2000-2007 at the Monbulk location. I invite everyone to check out the new set up at 136 York Rd, Mt Evelyn. We are open weekends 9:00-5:00 or by appointment. Contact me anytime 0434 622 565.

Cheers,
Jeff Barry
Chojo Feature Trees
bki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by bki »

Went there yesterday and picked up few bags of diatomite and a couple of pots and it's worth the trip. Great collection of trees.
i would definitely come back and have a chat with you again Jeff ( i've learned a lot ). i love the "torri gate" you are building, i wish i can build mine in the future.
Melbourne have great nurseries run by brilliant and seasoned bonsai artists and with the addition of the youngest and equally talented Jeff, Melbourne's bonsai spirit is in good hands.
I agree with Mojo, Elias and fully support Craig W, Sidd's and JR_J comments!
This place is very promising and i will keep an eye on it's progression in the years to come.
Thanks Jeff and best wishes.
BKI
more trees.....
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

Anyone been here recently? Is it worth a visit?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

CHOJO FEATURE TREES - 365 Mount Dandenong Tourist Road, Sassafras, VIC

BONSAI THE IMAGINATION TREE - 136 York Rd, Mount Evelyn VIC

Are they one in the same just a new location?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
maple
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 22

Post by maple »

Mt Evelyn has closed
Chojo is a must see. Check for opening times.
Jeff is doing some great work

Chojo is one of the Nurseries chosen to visit as part of the Great Victorian Nursery tour for the AABC Convention in July hosted by Bonsai Northwest

https://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au/aabc-2018-convention

2 buses have been booked for the Tour and its almost sold out

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d7ac97_2 ... edb9fd.pdf
Waltron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: BSV VNBC

Post by Waltron »

Sorry about that Percy. When The Imagination Tree closed Jeff went on to open Chojo. I visited when it first opened but haven't found the time to return yet. I'm sure Jeff will be building a great nursery as Maple has alluded to. I see on their website that Craig Wilson is involved as well.

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”