Yuruga Nursery

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Yuruga Nursery

Post by Woz »

I was strolling the web and stumbled across these guys http://www.yuruga.com.au/ Has anyone had experience with them or ordered in bulk from nurseries before? what can be expected freight charge costs? and how well do plants generally survive freight? They seem to have a great deal of info in regards to natives as well.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Yuruga Nursery

Post by MelaQuin »

Freight charges would depend on how much you ordered and how far you could spread the freight cost over the goods you buy. I investigated getting some tube stock from Will Fletcher in Tassie but didn't go ahead with it for the usual reason of 'too many trees already' and that I would have to get several items in each variety to make the freight worthwhile. Freight can easily double your cost.

I would presume that if the trees were shipped in dormancy and well wrapped in damp spaghnum moss there would be little loss as long as you weren't shipping mid summer.

The problem is getting stock that would have bonsai potential. With Will Fletcher of Island Bonsai in Tasmania, he bonsais natives so there would be some selection criteria if you specified you were going to bonsai the plants. With other nurseries - if their knowledge of bonsai is limited or zilch you could get anything....
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

G'Day Waz,
From personal experience over about a decade Yuruga is an excellent nursery. They stock a fantastic broad range of healthy native rainforest species in 140 mm pots, you can probably already buy Yuruga stock at your local nursery in Brisbane or get your local bunnings to order in for you if you want just 1 or a small number of plants. (the above sounds like and advert doesn't it?)

A whole 'shipment' will be quite a few plants and freight to Brisbane may be expensive, but bear in mind a lot of nurseries do this and can still put their margin on so it probably wont work out that bad if you divide it up per pot. I have always split it with someone so it has worked well. Yuruga's turnover is pretty good so most of the plants will be young and healthy and not old and rootbound and what a bonsai grower might call 'advanced'.

Was there a particular species on their list that you were chasing?
ciao
Ash
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Woz »

Hey Ash thanks for the reply,
Yeah there was a specific plant I was looking for, the daintree pine. I already have one viewtopic.php?f=8&t=540 (I will update this progression soon, I have been on the road for work not much time at home with the plants) but was looking a couple more to get stuck into. I think they look fantastic, slightly brighter foliage than casurinas and a lovely fine bark texture. I am definatly keen to try Yuruga Nursery after you raving review ;)
I spoke to them in regards to freight costs and after doing the maths to buy a tray of plants from them and shipping would be a little less than getting them from a nursery locally with out the running around to find a nursery with some in stock.
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

Hey Waz,
Good choice I reckon.
I am a botanist and work a bit on Thorntons Peak and region north of the Daintree where Gymnostoma australianum grows so I will dig out and post some photos of trees in state. I will also post some from the garden. If you are cutting down large stock (shoot or root reduction) do it in frequent but in relatively small increments.

On Noah Creek at sea level they grow right in the middle of the creek where their roots are constantly wet, they often form a natural raft, on the rock crown on top of Thorntons Peak they are free drained but live in cloud forest, they get bigger and look a lot like pines with flat pad like layers of foliage.

A conifer Yugura stocks that is worth growing is Prumnopytis ladei, it is a Podocarp with small leaves but teadiosly slow growth.
cheers
Ash

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”