Please share your experience, Elias!

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Please share your experience, Elias!

Post by Bonbon »

Hi Elias,

I read your info that your are only into Bonsai for 3 years and have your own nursery already. what an amazing achievement!

How did you do that? Super learner, pure genius, or good business skill? Please share your experience.

How do you run your nursery? How to accumulate the number of trees for a nursery in just 3 years?

B
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Re: Please share your experience, Elias!

Post by Elias »

Hi Bonbon,

The love for various aspects of the Asian culture came about with Karate kid, as I'm sure many people love for bonsai began with this film and I think many people my generation we're somewhat influenced by the film one way or another. I had my first tree when I was 13 and killed it fairly quickly :roll:
I began my horticultural studies in 1994 and began working in landscaping for a couple of years. I left the landscaping trade, worked in sales for a while, whilst trying various different studies at Uni and TAFE.
In 2004 I began doing a few odd landscaping jobs here and there for relos, and eventually I went back to study to study Computer aided graphics for landscape.
Late in 2005 I met up with an old friend who owned Zen Flower and Gardens and asked me if I'd be interested in working there perhaps doing a little bit of sales and landscaping, he had some really nice trees and on my first week I had to get myself a little tree I just fell in love with them, so that's when I began collecting and reading about these little trees.
In mid 2008 my friend was going overseas to get married and live so he asked me if I was interested in purchasing this business with the stock and eventually we came to an agreement, I scraped all my monies sold my apartment and moved back with the folks... sacrifices you make :roll:
I guess one thing to understand is that I don't have a traditional nursery, as there's no point trying to compete with Bunnings. My store has a wide range of large feature pots, large marble statues, water features, some plants & trees and part of the shop is dedicated to bonsai and bonsai accessories.
Apart from running my store I also have the landscaping side of things to take care of, and most of the work is carried out by myself and my father. At times I get mates in the trade to give me a hand on the larger jobs. When I'm out on the job I will get my mother and a casual to look after the store.
So since last year I've been working pretty much everyday, the only days I don't work is when I can't get out of bed usually from being sick or really rundown, unfortunately these are the sacrifices you have to make to make a small business work.
My store still has a long way to go with display & stock , I guess about 60% of the 'bonsai' stock came with the nursery, there rest of the stock I have grown or purchased as starter stock and worked, trimmed and shaped. I have spent a lot of time with Mr. Hahn, and has taught a me a lot, but the language barrier can be frustrating, so I've had to do a lot reading to fill in the gap. I should probably join a club... but who has time to stand around and chat when you have I have so much work to do :P
Anyways I'm determined to make it work, everyday I get to work on the little trees and that's enough to keep me happy for now, even if I don't get a steady wage yet :| I rather be doing what I love :D
Dam that was a long ramble....
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Post by DavidN »

Hi Elias
I think I remember the previous owner as he came to our Bonsai Northwest Exhibition and Sale in autumn last year and was the first one in the door or Saturday and literally ran to the Sales area and bought a HUGE amount of bonsai/stock before anyone made a first selection. I believe he was buying for the nursery and obviously our bonsai club's prices are very cheap. He mentioned the nursery was in the St.Kilda area. Is this the same one?
Thanks for your story.

David
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Elias »

Hi David,

To be honest I'm not sure, it could've been him but I doubt it, the previous owner lost all interest in the shop and I was running the show for him around that time, the bulk of the stock was purchased from Mr Hahn. Maybe Mr Hahn went and did some buying...dunno...

One thing I found interesting was last time I was at at Monbulk visiting Tim at A-Z, he mentioned a guy from St. Kilda buying a whole lot of starter stock perhaps there is another nursery close by that is dealing with bonsai....
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Post by DavidN »

Hi Elias,
Thanks for the feedback and I think you are right as Tim was also at our show and remembers this guy. Didn't know there was a nursery there either mate. Well hope you get down to Yarraville in October and can pick through the cheap stock too.

David
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”