One day in Tokyo.....

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: One day in Tokyo.....

Post by Reece »

peterb wrote:Hey Island Breeze
mate I don't know whether to envy you or hate you, that must have been such a day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . It certainly is on my bucket list of things I have to do. Glad you had such a good day
regards
peterb
Haha....

You just need to try and incorporate it into a bigger trip and it makes it easier.

I wouldn't blame you for hating me....
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

JaseH wrote:
Island Breeze wrote:
JaseH wrote:Great run down. I'm glad you went for the tour, I knew you wouldnt regret it! I agree, Kobayashi's place is pretty mind blowing. Funnily enough, I also got interviewed by a Japanese TV crew whilst I was there, I'm wondering if it was related?
Wow.... when was that?
In February - basically told them the same thing - that we don't have anything like this back in Australia - as in the age of the trees and the numbers of years in training!
Yeah right.

I think Japan is still quite a closed society so it's probably a bit strange for them to see foreigners so interested in one of thier traditions. That's my best guess as to why they want to film us.....

I'm glad I wasn't the only one saying that too!
Last edited by Reece on May 3rd, 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badabing888
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: -

Post by badabing888 »

Hi All,

Just poking my head in as i just came back this afternoon from powering through 4 of these nurseries.

Toju-en, Mansei-en, Omiya bonsai art museum and Seiko-en, some others were closed but it was getting near on 3-4pm friday afternoon.

I wasn't sure if i was going to get out to be able to see this but luck should have it the mrs was sick so i had an afternoon to head out and i took along a japanese friend.

The sheer quality of the collections was mind blowing! In some cases if 1-2 of these tree's were on display and they'd take centre stage at any aussie show i'd look for 30-40 minutes at the 1 tree but there just seemed to be a endless supply of exceptional tree's literally a thousand!

What's on show is so far above an beyond what we have in australia (and thats no dig at us, as others have said its simply the extreme age of some of the trees!) it's kind of disheartening especially with my favorite species of black pines, not to mention the prices on some of the quality stock you'd be blown away with back home!

I'll add some pics once i get back , but if anyone is in tokyo do your self a big favor and MAKE time it will blow your mind! My only regret is getting half a day instead of at least a full day to check it out!

Daniel
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

badabing888 wrote:Hi All,

Just poking my head in as i just came back this afternoon from powering through 4 of these nurseries.

Toju-en, Mansei-en, Omiya bonsai art museum and Seiko-en, some others were closed but it was getting near on 3-4pm friday afternoon.

I wasn't sure if i was going to get out to be able to see this but luck should have it the mrs was sick so i had an afternoon to head out and i took along a japanese friend.

The sheer quality of the collections was mind blowing! In some cases if 1-2 of these tree's were on display and they'd take centre stage at any aussie show i'd look for 30-40 minutes at the 1 tree but there just seemed to be a endless supply of exceptional tree's literally a thousand!

What's on show is so far above an beyond what we have in australia (and thats no dig at us, as others have said its simply the extreme age of some of the trees!) it's kind of disheartening especially with my favorite species of black pines, not to mention the prices on some of the quality stock you'd be blown away with back home!

I'll add some pics once i get back , but if anyone is in tokyo do your self a big favor and MAKE time it will blow your mind! My only regret is getting half a day instead of at least a full day to check it out!

Daniel
Yeah man its out of control.

I knew it would be but you don't realise until you actually go there just how good the quality is. Photos never do bonsai justice.

There was a point where I thought I would come back here, burn all of my trees and never talk about bonsai again because I felt like I was peeing in the ocean to try and raise the tide. That thought passed pretty quickly because I love this art so much and realised that I have to push on so future generations will catch up....

If you're going to Tokyo at all you really need to go to Kobayashis house/museum . Even if it's only for an hour. It's absolutely insane!

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”