Tony Bebb at Bimer's August meeting

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Tony Bebb at Bimer's August meeting

Post by Bougy Fan »

Yesterday we had Tony Bebb come and give us a demo on a corky bark elm the club purchased. The tree is very sizeable but presented some challenges with little branching and a large "knob" from where a trunk chop had been preformed some years ago
017.jpg
019.jpg
Tony is a great artist and took us through the process of selecting a front for the tree, starting with the roots. Then he worked up to the movement of the trunk and the available branching. Finally with some input form the audience the best front was selected that incorporated all 3 elements to present the best tree.
021.jpg
028.jpg
He pruned back the branching removing everything that was not necessary and decided on an unusual design which he termed as a "event" styling. This represent the tree leaning slightly but not windswept, with the wind blowing the branches at this moment in time, like a photograph. First he carved back the ugly lump
030.jpg
032.jpg
Then he wired everything else that was left to great effect. The audience was very pleased with the end result, as was Tony
067.jpg
071.jpg
It was a great afternoon and I found myself inspired to go home and do some work on my trees. Thanks Tony !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on August 2nd, 2015, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Tony Bebb at Bimer's August meeting

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the story and photos, really good to see the development of trees and if everyone goes home after the event and works of their trees even better.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Tony Bebb at Bimer's August meeting

Post by Boics »

Good thread.

Thanks for the effort to share.

I think Tony has taken some styling advise from Bodhi!?
Or is it the other way around.... :)
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”