Bonsai World Jilliby

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: Bonsai World Jilliby

Post by Jarad »

Hey Chris,

It's run on the last Sunday of every month at Bonsai World in Jilliby (51 Watagans Forest Drive). It's free and open to everyone. Your profile says you live in Dubbo, it's a bit of a trek to the Central Coast, will you be here on the weekend?

If you don't take any plants, you'll definitely leave with one. :tu:

They have a facebook page with all their info.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
chriswaghorn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by chriswaghorn »

I'll be in Sydney this weekend and was thinking I'd pop into Bonsai World Sunday on my way home anyway and when I saw this I thought it'd possibly be a great opportunity just to have a look at a workshop and see how different things are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Sweet!

I'll see you there then. Bring your wallet, you'll need it.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
wolfoz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 38
Bonsai Club: summerland bonsai lismore

Post by wolfoz »

Bonsai world is fantastic. Prices are great and HUGE variety. Interesting to talk to the guys and got a 5 minute talk on black pine that was very informative. Very friendly and great atmosphere . I must admit I gave my credit card a bit of a canning.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

I took a visit out to Bonsai World at Jilliby recently to see what the nursery is up to.

Their potting mix is still number 1. All my natives are in fantastic health after many years of using their mix, and its the cheapest I've ever found.
Excellent drainage. :yes: Their mix saved a lot of my stock. I usually combine their mix with river sand in different proportions, depending on the species.

If you're into exotics, you'll be very happy. Every time I go out there, it makes me want to grow maples. :palm:
But its their natives I visit them for. :worship:

Interestingly, their Banksia marginata they grow is the most hardy I've trialled. All other B marginata I've sourced from other nurseries have either died or don't have a lot of vigour. Provided you don't do severe trunk chops, their material is quite resilient.

Ash and Dave are always helpful and good to ask for advice.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

I just thought to post an update to this topic, rather than starting another. I made the loooong trip from the Inner West to Bonsai World today.

They are a LARGE nursery for those of us used to Sydney nurseries. Lots and lots of starter and pre-bonsai stock. They have also made the effort to wire some really good movement into a lot of their starter and pre-bonsai stock e.g. junipers and a range of Aussie natives. The movement in some was really impressive and great to see them put the effort into doing this so that we can have a great starting point.

In terms of species, it is a mix of everything, although with a higher representation of natives than you might usually see. Lighter on the pines than some (e.g Bonsai South). Not a huge deal of old, developed, large stock (for those like me that prefer hernia-inducing bonsai)- but that is obviously not their thing.

I thought that their prices were really fair - so there was no financial/moral dilemma in adding 'just another' item.

I went there to pick up on some pots. They have a MUCH larger range of pots than any other nursery that I have visited (and an unpacked 40 foot shipping container of pots and more unpacked pots in a massive poly tunnel). So, if you need pots, they will have something to suit. They said that if you can't find what you want, just ask and they will be able to dig something out of the unpacked stock.

I got 4 very large pots (sorry, I didn't have the traditional bottle of beer for size).
IMG_3970.jpg
IMG_3968.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg
IMG_3972.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Nate.bonsai wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 4:04 pm Not a huge deal of old, developed, large stock (for those like me that prefer hernia-inducing bonsai)- but that is obviously not their thing.
Good sized pots there Nate. They have some great big trees on display "out the back" area (not for sale though). Did you get a chance to view these?
If not, here are some pics taken when I was there last June. I know they are caretakers of some Koreshoff trees also.
IMG_0327.JPG
IMG_0342b.jpg
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0337b.jpg
IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Geez there’s some good stuff there ...including Nate’s choice of wine!

Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by nathan987 »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:[Did you get a chance to view these?
If
Yes, I probably should also have said that they do have a very large private collection of developed trees that are great for inspiration.

The one in your first pic (especially when you see it from front on) was especially good. They had it set up as the first thing you see upon entering the private collection.

I also spied some really nice pots out on the private (ie not for sale) area as well.

So, two great reasons to go - huge range of good quality trees and pots and a great collection of developed trees.

Rob101
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 13

Post by Rob101 »

Great nursery, highly recommend.....lots and lots of pots and trees to choose from, my card got a hammering, check it out.

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”