Bonsai Society of Qld

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Bonsai Society of Qld

Post by melbrackstone »

I'm having to sit through a 7 day ban on faecesbook, so can't let people know about the next meeting at Mt Gravatt. 17th March.

Brad is going to show us a follow on from his previous root over rock Fig demo, and another more advanced ROR tree which he will wire and style.

Another fine thing about our monthly meetings is the members market. If you have excess plants you want to clear, or pots you don't think you'll use, or anything bonsai related, you can bring them along to the meeting and hopefully sell them there and then. There'll be no commission to be paid, the only proviso is that you take responsibility for your items, and take home anything that's unsold at the end of the afternoon. Bring your items already priced, so people can browse, and have some change too....that'll make for a much more relaxed afternoon.

It's a great way to clear out your stock, and another worthwhile use of a $20 membership! Come along to snap up some bargains!

Members of clubs from all over the country are also invited to our May bonsai bonanza "Bonsai Horizons," which will be held 19-20 May at the Calamvale Hotel.

Registration is here. http://www.bonsaisocietyqld.asn.au/

$120 for the weekend will cover demos by Joe Morgan-Payler and Hugh Grant, with extra workshops by them, as well as "make a pot" with Marie Hewartson, and other demonstrations by Stephen Cullum, Tony Bebb, Glenys Bebb, Brad Stuart and others. The extra workshops will have a cost, but everything else is included, as well as morning tea and lunch. There is a huge verandah area attached to the demonstration space, so you're invited to bring along some trees to work on if you want a break from sitting watching others. Dinner on Friday and Saturday night will be at your own cost, in one of the restaurants at the hotel, so come along to meet new people, and catch up with old friends.

Apologies to the Brisbane Bonsai group....hope someone from there will see this...
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Re: Bonsai Society of Qld

Post by The Munt »

Hi Mel,

I just joined the Bonsai Society of QLD..

Just curious about the all day workshop this Saturday 21/04/18, what time does it kick off?
It’s all about the new experience!
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

10am start. Private message me your email and I'll send you the newsletter. :)
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mel,
Hope to see you on Sunday @ Mt Cootha. I'm returning from interstate tonight, but was wondering if you're also involved with the bonsai club at Mt.Gravatt? If you are could you please tell me where and how often they meet? I'm retired now, so I can do all these types of things now. :D
Cheers,
Frank.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi Frank, yes I'm a member of BSQ, and they hold their meetings at Mt Gravatt. Visitors are welcome. Membership form is on the website. http://www.bonsaisocietyqld.asn.au/membership.php

Meetings are generally held on the third Saturday of each month. May meeting will be lost to the Bonsai Horizons weekend, and in September the meeting will be held at the exhibition, which will also be at Mt Gravatt.

The workshop meeting this coming weekend starts at 10am and goes to 4pm. We'll be working on our own trees with support from the senior members. It's a good opportunity to wander around and chat with members about their trees.

Mt Gravatt Showgrounds is the location, the two storey green building across the road from the markets, on the ground floor.

I'm hoping to get to the BIMER show on Sunday, but after a full day on Saturday I can't guarantee I'll be up to it. If hubby can drive me I should be ok.

Cheers
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Thanks for that info Mel :tu2:
Cheers, Frank

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”