A Day at the gold coast

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
gollum
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

A Day at the gold coast

Post by gollum »

I went to Red Dragon Bonsai (Currumbin)and The Defined Garden (Surfers) on Thursday 18 March

thought I'd say it was a great trip (from Bris) well worth the effort.

At Red Dragon first,Chris is a very nice bloke and I had a good chat with him.
he has some great trees and lots of pots...

Pic Image

there is already good photos in another thread by dayne so I won't re-post the same shots
I did like the Qld bottle tree he has,these are my favourite trees (Roger at The Defined Garden has one aswell)

Pic...Image

I bought a really nice San Jose Juniper for $69
as soon as I got home I had to see what it was like...
I was very pleased with the tree...
it is in superb health and has very good potential,nice movement in the trunk and plenty of good branches.
I only trimmed and re-potted it...it does need wiring and shaping,later

Pic..Image

Time was moving along so off I went to find The Defined Garden...
easy to spot and a very plesant atmosphere it has.

my camera had a flat battery so no pics sorry,
Roger has some really nice advanced stock including some less common trees
a small Qld bottle tree and a large one like Chris ,and some big Fukien's and some big old Green Island figs aswell as plenty more.

I was lucky enough to find some really nice pots,I found some very old miniature pots
(hand made 30+years ago) I took a pic after I potted some of them with a couple of things I had lying around.
the really nice pots are going to stay empty for now,(sorry no pics of them yet)

Pic. Image

from left a hand made black/purple glaze rectangular pot with a tiny Port Jackson fig
behind a mass made square pot (but still nice) with a mini aloe type plant and a nice rock and a tiny succulent thingy plant aswell(its about as big as a pea!)
next is a similar pot in taller style with a mini aloe I've owned this one quite a few years now
next,another mass made blue glazed pot but really nice with a little Green Island fig going well in it.
next one up front with some lush moss in it ,this is a very nice pot about 10mm high 60mmlong and 40 wide,
it is a beautifully hand made original at least 30yrs old (I'll have ask Roger who the maker was again)
and finally on the end another handmade super mini pot with some tiny grass like stuff I managed to tweezer in,its only about 15mm square

all these lovely pots were very reasonably priced
I was very happy to snag these as this sort of thing doesn't show up very often.
cheers Roger

and Chris too
thanks for making my trip to the Goldy worthwhile.
BonsaiFish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: African Acacia
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: A Day at the gold coast

Post by BonsaiFish »

G'Day Mate,

They are a couple of my favourite nurseries....would like to get them more regularly but being in Sydney will have to settle for once a year! :( Didn't get to see Chris this year but dropped in on Rodger. He was selling a collection of Japanese pots for one of his friends ....very nice & only had a few left @ Feb.

Nice Juni you've got there & I like the colour of the pot it's in...I don't see that sort of colour too often!

Yeh, I like your small pots too!!!

I've got quite a few of the blue ones....too many! They are also pretty old ....I believe 20+ years. They also came in different colours & shapes....oval, rectangle (shallower), rectangle (straight edges) & round; brown, speckled, white and yellow! (I tried to sell some of mine on this site so there's a pic online already).

I got mine from Ray (Nesci) & I think he has them very well priced for what they are!

If you like I can post some pics of the others & maybe you could get a 'set' from him! :lol:

Nice pics, thanks.

Cheers,
Russell
In the end all that matters is;
How well you lived,
How well you loved
How well you learnt to let go.
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

BonsaiFish wrote:G'Day Mate,

They are a couple of my favourite nurseries....would like to get them more regularly but being in Sydney will have to settle for once a year! :( Didn't get to see Chris this year but dropped in on Rodger. He was selling a collection of Japanese pots for one of his friends ....very nice & only had a few left @ Feb.

Nice Juni you've got there & I like the colour of the pot it's in...I don't see that sort of colour too often!

I've got quite a few of the blue ones....too many! They are also pretty old ....I believe 20+ years. They also came in different colours & shapes....oval, rectangle (shallower), rectangle (straight edges) & round; brown, speckled, white and yellow! (I tried to sell some of mine on this site so there's a pic online already).

I got mine from Ray (Nesci) & I think he has them very well priced for what they are!

If you like I can post some pics of the others & maybe you could get a 'set' from him! :lol:

Nice pics, thanks.

Cheers,
Russell
Where does Ray have 20+ year old pots? Does he have more than one outlet? I have only ever seen new pots in the store... maybe i'm looking in the wrong place... :?
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
BonsaiFish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: African Acacia
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by BonsaiFish »

Creeping Dragon wrote:
BonsaiFish wrote:G'Day Mate,

Nice pics, thanks.

Cheers,
Russell
Where does Ray have 20+ year old pots? Does he have more than one outlet? I have only ever seen new pots in the store... maybe i'm looking in the wrong place... :?
G'Day Mitchel

Only the one outlet...unless he's on the road! And yep, maybe you're looking in the wrong spot as he does have 20+ year old pots (the blue one with the fig in the original post)?!

Just spw Clinton and he said they're possibly 30+ years old!

They're a small pot, measuring 9cm in length......so easy to miss them if you're focussed on larger ones! They're nothing special....just mass produced Japanese pot....but nice!

Next time you walk in their shop make an immediate right turn & you'll be looking at the pots!

See my post below for a pic of the oval ones.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=3847

The white (round) ones I mentioned above are really nice.....in fact I think I'll get some more of those ones after all this talk!!! :lol:

Good luck
In the end all that matters is;
How well you lived,
How well you loved
How well you learnt to let go.
gollum
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by gollum »

Hi guys,

thanks Russell,I would be interested in a pic of your other pots (that are available from Ray)

or any other pics as I really like them

I remember Rodger said these pots were over 30 yrs old including some limited collector pots

I will post a pic of them aswell later, they are from a Japanese collector who passed away

Rodger still has a couple of very nice small pots around the $150 range if anyone is keen

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”