Bonsai shops in Melbourne

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Bonsai shops in Melbourne

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi people, We have recently opened a nursery in Daylesford, a place called Shepherds Flat.If you go to http://www.bodhidharma.com.au you can get more information. I agree, i think in Victoria if the drought does not break a lot of nurserys will be in trouble. We have spent a lot of time, money and effort to drought proof ourselves. As we have no town water and no town for that matter we have to rely on tanks, dams and innovation to survive. This has been a plan in the making for many years and we have taken steps to not rely on Bonsai for our main income(we both have real jobs). I have talked to many Bonsai nursery owners and they, as one voice, said the same thing .....do it for the love of bonsai not the love of money because there is not a lot of money in it. Our plan has been to make it a day out for people. Visit Daylesford, have lunch, come out for a chat and a browse, compare notes meet new people etc. Anyway, I think it is imortant, the way the world is going, that we dont end up with that worldly mentality and produce the first one stop MCBonsais.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

cool, I go through daylesford fairly regularly, always made a point to stop at bonsai barn (If you don't support it, it won't be there when you need it)
will have a look where you are...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Look forward to saying hi paddles. James at Bonsai barn is a good friend of mine. He closed his doors due to illness and i bought his stock to help him out. I suppose you could say my retirement plan(to open a modest nursery) as a hobby was pushed up by ten years or so. Be careful what you wish for sort of thing. Anyway, i am having a ball. We are a little difficult to find but it is all part of the adventure.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

We'll find you... I can sniff out a bonsai nursery..... :lol:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Jeff
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Jeff »

The bonsai nursery that was once owned by Paul sweeney is called Bonsai The Imagination Tree. It has moved to Mt. Evelyn. The stock, without a doubt, is the best in Melbourne. Both quality and range. The prices may be higher than the other nurseries mentioned, but (like anything) you get what you pay for. Bonsai stock of this quality takes many years to establish and the prices reflect these efforts. They also stock both Japanese pots and tools (which are expensive as well). For a large range of in expensive pots, Orient Bonsai is excellent. Advice about these topics should be given by those who regularly visit these bonsai nurseries.
Rob781
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black pine, elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: n/a

Post by Rob781 »

One of my favorite Bonsai shops in Melbourne
Is Baloc Bonsai nursery.
178 Forest st, Ardeer
Near Sunshine/Balarat Road.
Very Helpful man, knows his stuff, always getting in new trees.
Great trees and some good bargains to be had especially on pre bonsai.
Jeff
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jeff »

Yes Rob

Baloc is great. He has high quality stock. Again, You get what you pay for.
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by soda »

Don't think its been mentioned but another one is on the corner of Greeves and Inkerman in St Kilda. Appeared to me to be expensive comparative to others. And don't linger on the footpath!
Last edited by soda on August 10th, 2010, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Elias »

soda wrote:Don't think its been mentioned but another one is on the corner of Greeves and Inkerman in St Kilda. Appeared to me to be expensive comparative to others. And don't linger on the footpath!
Thanks for the mention soda. Whilst my store is more aimed at Landscaping we do hold some bonsai of many different ages/sizes with prices starting at around $15-up to around $5000 I suppose my prices aren't cheap but that is a reflection of my location/convenience. I don't make any excuses for my prices as I have always tried to be as fair as I can, and I will often check prices with my nearest competitors to try to make sure my prices are reasonable.
Anyways I would love to meet you next time, and I'm always open to discussions on how to improve my store and its services. Thanks.

Cheers,
Elias
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by soda »

:oops:

Great Elias, will say hello next time I'm there.
dragonland_88
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: northwest bonsai

Post by dragonland_88 »

try Baloc Bonsai Nursery, 178 Forrest St, Ardeer (Melway map 26, A-12)

he is a nice guy he loves talking. hahaha
Sahara
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Sahara »

hey i found that gardenworld on springvale road has quite a nice selection of bonsai tress prices are not to bad. bonsai farm in Hawthorn i found quite pricey and the stock was in poor condition tbh, not a nice thing to say i know but yes sorry. imagination tree from what i have researched is upossed to be very good but i havent made it there yet :) lookingfor places to go visit as well :)
Last edited by Sahara on April 27th, 2011, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A life is a life, no matter how small or tall, whether its human or the sea or a tiny little bee to our adoring bonsai trees. that how life is you see :)
makro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper, Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by makro »

Just visited Bodhidharma's bonsai nursery and what was supposed to be a quick visit (since I had the extended family in tow) ended up being longer than expected and we thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Diederik was extremely helpful (we had a lot of basic questions), gave us a guided tour and helped me select a couple for me to work on. The stock is very reasonably priced and he even looks after ausbonsai member :) :yes: :yes: now that's an excuse to visit Daylesford ;)
Cheers
MakRo
"The reward is in the doing of it..." quote from the "The World's Fastest Indian"
Bonsai Northwest
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

makro wrote:Just visited Bodhidharma's bonsai nursery and what was supposed to be a quick visit (since I had the extended family in tow) ended up being longer than expected and we thoroughly enjoyed every moment.
It was fun Makro :tu: Look forward to seeing yourself and Rose again in the future.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Sahara wrote:hey i found that gardenworld on springvale road has quite a nice selection of bonsai tress prices are not to bad. bonsai farm in Hawthorn i found quite pricey and the stock was in poor condition tbh, not a nice thing to say i know but yes sorry. imagination tree from what i have researched is upossed to be very good but i havent made it there yet :) lookingfor places to go visit as well :)

Hey twilight as far as in and around Melbourne goes, Garden World is one of my favourites. On the right day an absolute corka !!! Bruce is one of the good guys, Dman knows his bonsai sh!t! Part of the underground movement... :worship:
Last edited by anttal63 on April 29th, 2011, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”