A new club in the Southern Highlands NSW

A place to promote your bonsai club or school also discussions and information about Australian bonsai nurseries.
Forum rules
To start a topic:
1. No pure for profit promotion to be posted here.
2. Please only start one topic for a particular promotion.
3. Please do NOT reply with any non-promotion-related posts, or they will be removed.
4. To discuss about bonsai, please go to other forums.
5. Please report any inappropriate promotion to the admin.
Thank you all.
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all species
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai society, Southern Highlands Bonsai Group

A new club in the Southern Highlands NSW

Post by Handy Mick »

Hi peoples,
I have been approched by many in my area to start a club here, I am a curent member of the Goulburn Bonsai Society and will continue to be so, but
I have been approched by about a dozen people in the Southern Highlands to start something here, but I have no Idea how to start a club or the like. Does someone out there know how to go about it?
I was amazed in the first place, to findout that there was no Bonsai club in the Highland's, since so many people in this area are in alsorts of gardening clubs.
This is a huge oppertunity, with a little advertising, this could be a large club, but I have no idea how to go about it.
The Southern Highlands, if you dont know is in between Goulburn and Campbeltown, or Canberra and Sydney.
If there is someone out there that could help with some info, or if someone that lives in this area or knows of someone in this area that can help, could you let me know, I'm keen to do this, since Spring is around the corner, which is a great time to start.
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow my page on Facebook. Southern Highlands Handy Mick
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: A new club in the Southern Highlands NSW

Post by Handy Mick »

Has anyone got any thoughts? Maybe someone from the Campbeltown club, or the Illawarra club, since you guys are the closest to the Highlands, besides Goulburn, which I am in.
Mick.
Visit my website http://www.handy-mick.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
john tapner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Study Group

Post by john tapner »

Mick, "Google" "Form a Club" and there are many sites that will give you good information on how to go about it,

Good luck

John T
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

An exciting enterprise!! Congrats for starting it.
As to a bonsai club: that can be as formal or informal as you like. In your place I'd get all those people together who have asked for a club in your area, to find out what their experiences, resources and wishes are. Have an inaugural morning coffee at your place, or a friend's place. If possible, invite someone along from Goulburn or Illawarra to give info on the running of a club. Find out if there is enough bonsai know-how in the new group so that members can help each other and teach beginners, or whether you need regular input from someone outside the proposed club. Decide when you are to meet again. Don't force the pace, just make it clear that doing bonsai together as friends is the primary aim of your group.

Lisa
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Handy Mick »

Thanks Lisa for your responce, is there anyone else out there near my area that could provide some info or help? Should I piggy back a gardening club, or do they take control to much etc.... etc...
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Mick,
If you get in contact with AABC through their website there is a wealth of information that may be useful.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Handy Mick
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Handy Mick »

Thanks Greg.
Besotted
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Besotted »

Hi Mick

I hope the Southern Highlands Bonsai Club is still active and bigger and better than when started.

I am moving to Bowral about the end of July 2015 and am very keen to continue my Bonsai hobby.

I started about 5 years ago and loved it.

I have completed formal classes for three years at the School of Bonsai at North Rocks .

My main teacher was Clinton Nesci and his father Ray Nesci . They have a Bonsai Nursery at Dural and I have been very fortunate to live close enough to be able to visit their nursery often.

The last year or so I have continued on with the club in a more social and informal teaching capacity.

I am 68 and have far more plants than are good for me however, I find it hard to part with any.

I would say that my enthusiasm for this hobby is much greater than my skill, but I am very keen to continue on.

Learning never stops and I learn so much by just sharing ideas with others.

Looking forward to meeting up with members of this club.

Cheers
Cathy Tribe

Return to “Nurseries, Clubs and Schools”