Show on the Gold Coast

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Show on the Gold Coast

Post by klaery »

No comments from me on motives or reasoning of the organisers.

I will say though that I was ready to head down and check out the displays and spend some coin with the vendors. It was pretty disappointing when this thread showed up (but thank you for letting us know!). I couldn't even spare that much time let alone the cost to go for the whole convention.

It really hit home how silly it was when I was trying to explain to the boss why we couldn't go any more.
Last edited by klaery on August 25th, 2014, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings fellow bonsai tragics,
I have just come home from the Gold Coast. The BCI/AABC convention was fantastic.
If you have never organized an international meeting, please be aware that the planning has been going on for years. There was no changing of the rules and making it up as we go.
The convener got quotes from nearly every hotel or venue on the coast and inspected close to 20 potentials. He was very aware that not allowing walk-ups and the general public would not be popular.
The first need was to have a venue large enough for the expected numbers, up to 500. The second was a secure and safe display area for the trees, with good access. It needed to be on the ground floor as a lot of the trees displayed were huge. Access to the demonstrations was through the display area, keeping the walk-ups out would have been impossible. A large marque on the tennis court for the trading area was investigated. It was lucky that didn't happen as it was very wet and windy most of Friday and Saturday.
There also needed to be a display area and lecture room for the biggest suiseki event ever held in Australia. Some of the stones were a 4 man lift.
There will be a national convention in Adelaide in May 2015, please enjoy.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
bonsaibruce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai Club

Post by bonsaibruce »

Greetings, I have just watched this video. It is a good representation of the trees on show. I did not realize the camera was on, so the jiggles towards the end are me kicking the tripod as I delivered trees for the demos.
http://vimeo.com/104143039
I have not linked to the site, just type it in.
I am very happy with the way the convention was planned and run.
Don't quote me, but I'm sure there will be excess funds from the conference to used for the promotion of our art.
The photos are in the camera and I hope to post soon.
Happy bonsai,
Bruce.
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by Laurie J »

Hi Bruce,

Tried to check out the video but it comes up saying "Permission Denied" :(
klaery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca

Post by klaery »

adabelbengals wrote:Hi Bruce,

Tried to check out the video but it comes up saying "Permission Denied" :(
Haha......

Would also love to see the vid. Is there a chance it could be set for public view? :fc:
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

Hi all, I did receive an auction list from CBS and I could have put in a bid, before the 19th August, and if I didn't attend up for the cost of the postage, etc. Mainly rocks I saw, didn't examine the .pdf closely.

However, I contacted one of the organisers and asked if they had hired a professional DVD maker there is one I know on the Gold Coast as I was involved in a documentary with him. I asked him too. Why I asked was went a Canadian came to Australia, he attracted lots of people even from NZ. About organic management of cattle. They actually produced a six disc video set, it was dear $200 the set, but for Ag colleges, etc., they used to teach their students. I always fell asleep during it, but never mind I could take home and watch it at home.

If they didn't they lost a lot of potential income.

Cheers for now

Pat
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

I notice with some joy that Steven is sponsoring though AUSBONSAI, next years Adelaide show as well as other people.
Well done Steven I missed you this year as it was out of our reach from WA but will see you in Adelaide.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Pup wrote:I notice with some joy that Steven is sponsoring though AUSBONSAI, next years Adelaide show as well as other people.
Well done Steven I missed you this year as it was out of our reach from WA but will see you in Adelaide.

Cheers Pup
Awesome news there Pup and good onya Steven :yes: :clap: :clap:

ps I do not think he went this year either as work is real busy

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ash
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: ausbonsai

Post by Ash »

As a grass-roots member of the AABC and BCI I am abjectly disappointed at the exclusive policy of the BCI/AABC convention Sunrise on Bonsai. For there to be absolutely no public event is not just to have missed the opportunity for those organisations...but to have missed the point entirely.
Rowdy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bimer Bonsai

Post by Rowdy »

I wanted to go.
I was willing to pay the money
There were no tickets left by the time I tried to get one.
However I would at least like to see pictures of some of the best trees Australia could put together.
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Hi all

I took a number of pictures and a couple of dodgy videos of the convention. These were posted to the NBPCA Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/National ... e=bookmark

Have a look if you haven't already.

Cheers
Leigh
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

Ash wrote:As a grass-roots member of the AABC and BCI I am abjectly disappointed at the exclusive policy of the BCI/AABC convention Sunrise on Bonsai. For there to be absolutely no public event is not just to have missed the opportunity for those organisations...but to have missed the point entirely.
Well said Ash!! I wasn't going to make comment on this thread as I know how that would be perceived by some, but your post says it all, probably even the reason I am no longer an AABC Member.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion
Bush bunny
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All species
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society, Inc.

Post by Bush bunny »

It's a shame they can't hold a convention nearer to me. Tamworth and Armidale have got the facilities. Available by plane, train and roads. There are two bonsai societies in Tamworth and Armidale. And we have the university too in Armidale, that has heaps of convention rooms, and botany and agricultural students (B.Sc) But I suppose we are a 5 - 6 1/2 hour drive from Sydney and the Gold coast. We are temperate in Armidale, but Tamworth is warmer. All our bonsai starters and plants come from Sydney. :?: The university has basic rooms and food in some colleges during non term time for temporary guests, not plush mind you. And heaps of motels in both Tamworth particularly due to the annual Country music festival in January, when it is booked out anyway.
Graeme
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive, ficus, azalea
Bonsai Age: 36

Post by Graeme »

All you need do is have the clubs apply to the AABC, if they are Member Clubs, and maybe if you guys can put up a good enough proposal to support the application you could have one in your town Bunny. If they are not Member Clubs, that would be the first thing to get organised. Again that is simply an application to the AABC for membership. At least that's how it worked in the old days, not sure if it's still the same though.

Be prepared to put in a lot of work if you want to hold a gig though. They aren't an easy thing to pull off, trust me.
Last edited by Graeme on August 31st, 2014, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
I will forever defend your right
to disagree with my opinion

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”