9th National Exhibition of Australian Plants as Bonsai

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
MikeB
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: CBS

9th National Exhibition of Australian Plants as Bonsai

Post by MikeB »

Hi everybody

The annual exhibition of Australian native plants as bonsai is on again in 2012 - March 17 and 18 - at the Australian National Botanic Gardens in Canberra. If you would like to enter a tree into the exhibition, now is a good time to consider which one - this year has zoomed bye and there is less than 3 months to go.

Last year there was a 2 day symposium held in the Gardens in conjunction with the exhibition and its success has encouraged us to run another one this year. The symposium this year (as with last year) will cover the use of Australian natives in general - species, care and styling - with Ray Nesci joining us this time to tell us more about the use of water gums (Tristaniopsis sp) and also to run a general workshop on Australian natives. As with last year there will be a number of other activities and plenty of discusion that covers in more general terms the use of Australian natives in bonsai.

The symposium programme and registration details haven't been finalised yet - but a Native Plants as Bonsai page http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=54 has been set up on the Canberra Bonsai Society website that will soon contain all the information you need to be able to enter a tree into the exhibition and/or to register for the symposium. The organising committee will keep updating this post also as more information becomes available. You can use this post or the following email address for any questions - natives@cbs.org.au.

Hope you can join us in Canberra ...

Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: 9th National Exhibition of Australian Plants as Bonsai

Post by shibui »

Great to have those dates for the calendar Mike, thanks for posting it so early.

Is the photo display running again for those who live too far away to get trees to the exhibition?
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the reminder. I have talked with my mate Pol about getting a couple of trees in the display each this year. :fc: :fc: :fc:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
MikeB
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeB »

Hi Shibui and Bretts

Yes - we will be running a photo display to enable as many people as possible to enter a tree - there must be plenty of Ausbonsai members with a photo they could enter !

The aim of the exhibition is to help promote the use of Australian natives as bonsai and to show the public as many examples of bonsai from all parts of Australia. It's not a photo competition - just needs to be a good photo for public viewing. I'll put some details up on the CBS site about size and format shortly along with the registration and programme details. We normally have a 'packers' award for the photo section of the exhibition - no prizes, just status ...

Mind you, we would love to see physical examples of trees from as far and wide as possible too, so really pleased to hear that you are hoping to be able to attend Brett.

We normally have about 30% of the trees on display from interstate exhibitors and this goes a long way to the success of the exhibition as there are limited numbers of trees available locally. Part of the rationale of holding a symposium on the same weekend is to make it more appealing to make a trip to Canberra - to enter a tree into the exhibition, meet up with some Internet friends and to discuss and learn some more about Australian natives with some very experienced bonsai artists - and all in the setting of the Australian National Botanic Gardens ...

Thanks for your interest guys ...

Mike.
nevilleh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shipaku, elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by nevilleh »

We are now seeking trees for display at the 9th Aust. Native Plants as Bonsai exhibition to be held in Canberra on Saturday and Sunday March 17th & 18th, 2012. We are, as usual, particularly interested in trees which have not been displayed at this exhibition in the last couple of years or which have undergone great changes since last displayed.
Now is a good time to start considering what you would like to display in 2012.
Early in the New year we will send you a reminder and hope you will be ready to provide us with the information required for the catalogue, as follows:-
  • Scientific name
    Common name (if it has one)
    Number of years in training
    And about 50 -100 words about the tree (how and when you came by it, its life story, any styling challenges you faced &/or any other point of interest about it
However you don’t have to wait for the reminder. If you have any queries please contact us either at natives@cbs.org.au or Neil Wilson , Show Manager (hn2905@gmail.com) or myself (4linndee@grapevine.com.au), as soon as you like. Also consider attending the symposium on ‘Styling Australian Native plants as Bonsai’ that weekend- with Ray Nesci leading a team of demonstrators/speakers, lots of discussion of new ideas and hands-on workshop time.
We also ask you to indicate whether it is OK for us to take pictures of your trees for use in publicity about bonsai- and also so that we may deposit a copy with the ANBG image library and the Canberra Bonsai Club (which means it may be displayed on their websites). In any of these situations intellectual property right issues will be protected and owners are not identified on the sites, but information on each tree will be kept so if there is a request to use the photo in a commercial context, then the owner would be contacted.
Hoping to start hearing from you early in the New Year,

Linn Doyle
Assistant Show Manager
Last edited by nevilleh on December 21st, 2011, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeB »

Hi again everyone

The symposium programme and registration details are now available from the home page of the CBS web site http://www.cbs.org.au

With the help of a number of people including the demonstrators and session leaders listed on the programme - and the ANBG, we have been able to put together a great list of activities for those interested in learning about or discussing the use of Australian natives as bonsai - horticulturally and artistically.

The basic 2 day symposium cost of only $45 covers all activities except the workshops - which have a modest additional fee. Also included in the $45 is a lunch each day and entry to the native bonsai exhibition.

The registration can be done online and payment is also possible with direct credit - too easy ... great value.

Come along and renew old acquaintances or make new ones - and get some great information and inspiration about the use of Australian native species as bonsai.

See you there ...

Mike.
nevilleh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nevilleh »

Online registration for the Symposium is at this link.
http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option= ... individual
irish
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Wagga Wagga Bonsai Club

Post by irish »

Hi.

I am there, can not wait, put down for the Grant Bowie workshop on the Saturday, transferred money all good.This will be my first time at any show or work shop only been learning for a year. Not a member of any club. Going to concentrate on natives, was given a Corky Bark 10 cm high by a person i brought my first five pots off. :cool:

Going to sleep in my swag in the back of my car down along the river fishing for some Cod or yellas on Saturday night a few beers, some Bourbon, a good feed then back into it on Sunday. :tu:

Regards.
Irish. :aussie:
One Day i will know something, but most likely it will be to do with nothing.
nevilleh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nevilleh »

For those of you considering visiting Canberra for the 9th National Exhibition of Australian Bonsai - you might consider attending the Symposium associated with the exhibition. The Symposium is about Styling Australian Native plants as Bonsai - and there are several great workshops associated with the symposium. Information can be found here http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=54

Grant Bowie - (Acting Curator of the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection) will talk about and step participants through, plant preparation and other horticultural aspects of the process of growing natives as bonsai. The session is aimed at bonsai enthusiasts less experienced in working with natives as bonsai and will cover potting mixes, root preparation, basic pruning and fertilising. The workshop fee includes a nursery plant to work on :yes: and soil for re-potting. Please bring your own bonsai tools – or a pair of sharp secateurs if you don’t possess bonsai tools. THIS WORKSHOP IS LIMITED TO 12 PARTICIPANTS - so hurry as these places will fill quickly.

Register here http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option= ... individual

Ray Nesci (from Ray Nesci Bonsai Nursery Sydney) is giving two workshops on an advanced styling and development for Australian native plants being grown as bonsai. For this workshop, participants are expected to have some experience in creating bonsai. The focus of the workshop will be on the top of the tree. Participants are expected to bring their own tree – an existing bonsai or perhaps nursery stock that has not yet been worked on. Some nursery stock will be available to purchase on the day. Participants will also be expected to bring their own tools and accessories as necessary.
The first workshop is an hour long, the second for 2 hours - register for both for a full afternoon of bonsai styling.

BOTH OF THESE WORKSHOPS ARE LIMITED TO 6 PARTICIPANTS - THEY ARE FILLING QUICKLY.

Register here http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option= ... individual
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

I'll definitely be there, last year the Symposium was great!

:aussie:
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hi guys can anyone tell me when is the latest I can opt in to display a tree, I understand there is something about them being put in the catalogue? Like usual I am totally disorganised :palm:
Last edited by Bretts on February 4th, 2012, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
JR_J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples, Flowering Trees, Satsuki, Natives
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: YVBS, BSV, VNBC

Post by JR_J »

Hi Guys, :gday:
My wife Marlene and I'll be there and looking forward to it. Hopefully there're still some vacancy for the workshops with Ray?! :fc:
Great to catch up with Grant and Leigh as well :tu2:

Cheers, Rudi
MikeB
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MikeB »

Hi Brett

No worries, there is still time for you to get organised ... we need 10 days prior to the exhibition to be able to finalise the catalogue and send it off for printing. That means by, say, Sunday 4th March.

If there are other forum members out there considering entering the exhibition and/or attending the symposium, we'd be keen to hear from you as well, as it helps us ensure that we have provided the best opportunity to display trees from a range of bonsai artists and that we have enough pencils for symposium attendees.

All the info you need can be found by selecting the Native Show link on the CBS home page - http://www.cbs.org.au

Cheers,

Mike
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Thanks Mike I will add up the Budget and inspect the trees :fc:
nevilleh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by nevilleh »

Bonsai friends...

Note also the Previous Galleries for the Native Shows are now online as well.

http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=79

Enjoy :tu:

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”