Interview with Lee Wilson.

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Interview with Lee Wilson.

Post by mudlarkpottery »

I did this interview last September at the Bonsai Society of Australia exhibition last September at Castle Hill.
Penny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interview with Lee Wilson - Bonsai Artist-tree
Penny wrote:What got you interested in bonsai?
Lee wrote:Somebody gave me some seeds, once, in 1973. I’m still waiting for them to come up.
Penny wrote:How long have you been working with them?
Lee wrote:Since 1974. When they didn’t come up. I gave them away.
Penny wrote:What was your first tree?
Lee wrote:Juniper Procumbens.
Penny wrote:How successful was it? Do you still have it?
Lee wrote:Yes, it’s still alive. In the early days, I thought I was doing bonsai until I went to an exhibition and realized I wasn't.
Penny wrote:What different types (trees) of bonsai do you have?
Lee wrote:Just about every species known to man.
Penny wrote:What is your favourite bonsai and why?
Lee wrote:My favourite bonsai is the one I've just finished doing - because you’ve created a new masterpiece and you’re constantly trying to define it.
Penny wrote:What is the most difficult bonsai you’ve worked on so far (elaborate)?
Lee wrote:The most difficult to work with in practicality, is the African Boxthorn and the most difficult for styling would be a young tree. The young tree - not much character, not good branch selection - just not enough character at this time. The Boxthorn - very spiky and prickly
Penny wrote:Are there any styles more suitable for some trees and not others?
Lee wrote:The only style which is not suitable for most, trees particularly in Australia, is the Formal Upright. Any other trees can be easily adapted to all other styles.
Penny wrote:Do you have an opinion on suitability of pots to styles and types of trees?
Lee wrote:Match the pot to the tree.
Penny wrote:What is your opinion on soil types or potting mixes?
Lee wrote:Soil types - very coarse 3-7ml dia crushed stone and the balance made up with organic material. Gives perfect drainage and does not clog, nor does it dry quickly in Summer.
Penny wrote:What fertilizers do you use and when do you use them?
Lee wrote:Organic fertilizer only and I use them when the tree needs them - ie. Every 10 to 12 weeks.
Penny wrote:Do you have any problems with diseases?
Lee wrote:I’ve an ulcer coming on my leg, I’m just getting over a cold, I’ve torn a tendon moving bonsai into this exhibition (BSA—Sept. 5-7).
Penny wrote:Do you have any other problems to deal with?
Lee wrote:Many—too numerous to mention here.
Penny wrote:What is important to remember when working with a particular specimen?
Lee wrote:Keep your eyes and hands on your tree at all times. In other words, don’t start root-pruning your tree and go and answer the phone.
Penny wrote:What, in your opinion, is a good tree for beginners to start with?
Lee wrote:Without naming a specie, a tree that has many branches to choose from and a good healthy root system.
Penny wrote:What basic tools do you think are indispensable? What tools do you use most?
Lee wrote:Branch cutters, scissors, tweezers, root pruners, wire, imagination - imagination’s a great tool.
Penny wrote:Can you recommend any books or authors?
Lee wrote:Deborah Koreshoff’s book, Dorothy Koreshoff’s beginner’s book, Yoshimura’s and Giovianni’s book. John Naka’s books are fantastic.
Penny wrote:Is there a place or nursery you go to, to get special trees?
Lee wrote:My place.
Penny wrote:Do you have a story or incident you’d like to share with us?
Lee wrote:In Adelaide, in 1989, Janet Sabey, then president of the SA Bonsai Soc., and I, went on a dig collecting Boxthorn on the side of a cliff over the ocean. I was hanging over the side with this very spiky trunk, determined to get it, when the ground started slipping and breaking away. She grabbed hold of me and I left victorious with the boxthorn. Both of us had wet pants, not just from being scared, but from laughing so much. It could have been disastrous, but it was only the boxthorn that died.
Penny wrote:What haven’t you yet done with bonsai that you would like to do?
Lee wrote:To finish one.
Penny wrote:Any advice for beginners?
Lee wrote:Ignore the above and do it for yourself.
Penny wrote:Thanks, Lee for you time and a thoroughly enjoyable interview.
Lee Wilson's nursery, Bonsai Artist-tree, can be found at Sunny Bank Garden Centre, Cnr Forest Way & Crozier Road, Belrose, NSW 2085. Phone: (02) 9486 3099.
He gives lessons and is a national demonstrator. He is president of the AABC (at the time of this interview) and one in New Zealand. The AABC promotes and assists clubs to host the Annual National Bonsai Seminar which is held by a different club and in a different city each year.
Last edited by Steven on May 7th, 2009, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Interview with Lee Wilson.

Post by Pup »

He is also a very nice man, a good cook. With a good sense of humor he would need that as President of AABC. :P
To those who do not know him he is also a very good Bonsai teacher and designer of trees. He does have a preference for Black pines!!!
Thank you for that interview Penny.
I will try and steal your thunder when we get back from our trip.

With one from Peter Chan, Dan Barton Mike Sherman. He was one of the demonstrators at Bali. Also from Andy at Stone Monkey Pottery.
Looks like I am going to be busy. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
mudlarkpottery
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: everything
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Newcastle Bonsai Society, Central Coast Bonsai Society

Re: Interview with Lee Wilson.

Post by mudlarkpottery »

Yes, please! I'll look forward to it. Don't forget to enjoy yourself.
Penny.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”