Are these BONSAI?

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Bonbon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: none

Are these BONSAI?

Post by Bonbon »

Just saw some picture about a Bonsai Show and pick them as an example.
Are these Bonsai? It looks to me some raw stock in a Bonsai pot. May be some trimming done but no styling whatsoever.
I hope I won't upset any people. Just to express my feeling.
This is actually pretty common when you attend bonsai show here in Sydney.
I think, may be we should learn more, build up the knowledge and courage to style and cut before we complain that there is no decent stock trees in Australia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john tapner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Study Group

Re: Are these BONSAI?

Post by john tapner »

Many of the trees were in training with wire and several were fairly new trees submitted by new members. It may be some years before they reach the definition of "bonsai" with a defined structure. However, the show is for the members who are keen to show their products. We had 110 trees on display with all levels of expertise. This show is the high point of the Club year and nobody is going to (or should) reject a tree that belongs to a newer practitioner of bonsai. By observing what is displayed the newer members will learn and have a reference for future years. Remember too that the public that visit generally have little or no knowledge of bonsai and the show is the way of enticing them to take up the art of bonsai. We signed up three new members last Saturday and all attended the first meeting on Tuesday. Reject a tree and you stand a good chance of rejecting a member. Allowing them to display encourages the future of bonsai. Always remember, we all started out in bonsai on day one...................

John T
Bonsai Study Group
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

I see Bonsai as an art, but like many creative outlets its up to the viewer to claim its status.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

I showed a tree when I first started Bonsai. Whilst it was not "officially" critiqued, I overheard a number of comments which really flattened my enthusiasm to participate in a show to this very day.

I think every Bonsai artist should be encouraged to show their trees and given constructive direction and enthused to work forward.

I am looking at an old Chinese proverb on my office wall, which when translated roughly reads:
"If you want 1 year of prosperity........Grow Grain
If you want 10 years of prosperity ......Grow trees
If you want 100 years of prosperity.....Grow people"

Business is all about people and the primary success of any business is about developing the full potential of staff.

If we want to develop the full potential of our art, then we have to develop the full potential of our raw material which in the truest sense is the new entrants to our art.
Lets support these people even if the fruits of their labour doesn’t rank with the masters.......yet......

Regards
Steve
Bain
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Bain »

john tapner wrote: Remember too that the public that visit generally have little or no knowledge of bonsai and the show is the way of enticing them to take up the art of bonsai.
John T
Bonsai Study Group
Exactly..

Take myself for example - my first tree was a mallsai that my girlfriend (now Fiance) purchased for a birthday of mine. She knew I was interested in 'little trees' and proceeded to buy one. Unfortunately it only lasted 6 months as I didnt have a clue when it came to tending to them. If it wasnt for one of these mallsai I probably would never have got into this art.

Not everything in the Bonsai world has to look complete and 200 years of age. For me the art of Bonsai isnt just about producing a small tree in a pot that looks like a large older tree in its natural habitat. Its about learning patience, creating balance and harmony, aswell as showing your own creative/artistic design and skill.

Some people prefer to have instant bonsai by fattening up plants in the ground first, others prefer to watch their plants grow from almost the very beginning in a bonsai pot and shaping them as it develops. Everyone is different and everyone will have a different view or perspective.

To those new people who displayed their bonsai - good on em!

Encouragement is the best way to get participation.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

Yes, I agree. Do bonsai for what you get out of it. Be selfish. Style the tree the way YOU want to view it. Tend your bonsai the way you will benefit from doing your hobby.

Who cares how you go about your bonsai....as long as it makes you happy.

Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by marleeney »

How true Leigh. You have given all of us novices something to think about. Very encouraging for us all. Thank you :D

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”