Bonsai at sydney royal show

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Bonsai at sydney royal show

Post by Josh »

Hello one and all,
I'm working at the Royal Sydney show and just discovered they have an awesome Bonsai display in garden pavilion. Some really great trees on show. If you're going to the show it is worth dropping to have a look. If I get a chance I'll take some photos and post. Was crazy there today with William and Kate and prince George attending. Over 150,00 pre booked tickets for today alone.

Josh.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Bonsai at sydney royal show

Post by kcpoole »

Josh wrote:Hello one and all,
I'm working at the Royal Sydney show and just discovered they have an awesome Bonsai display in garden pavilion. Some really great trees on show. If you're going to the show it is worth dropping to have a look. If I get a chance I'll take some photos and post. Was crazy there today with William and Kate and prince George attending. Over 150,00 pre booked tickets for today alone.

Josh.
I have displayed some of my trees there about 2 years ago, but work commitments lately have prohibited that these last 2 :palm:
if you want to see them, better hurry.
The trees go into the pavillion on Thursday night for display for 2 days? then get picked up on Saturday night.

at the School, we are trying to make a concerted effort to improve the public displays of Bonsai in the Sydney region where we can, and encourage our memebers to put in some of the better trees so they get on display.
the more good trees we get seen by joe public, the better our nurseries and clubs might be

Ken
ps if anyone has photos of this years display then please post them for us :-)
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

It is a great show Ken. Pity you didn't have trees in.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
More to come
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
It is a great display. Was great to see some demo trees there being worked on too. Great for the public to see a tree change. :tu:

Josh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Thanks for posting. I only recognise the Second one.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Isitangus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & anything flowering or unusual
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: campbelltown Bonsai club

Post by Isitangus »

Some nice trees here-I always miss them at the show-am taking the family out today
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Ray M »

Hi all,
I heard some disturbing news yesterday. My daughter and family went out to the show on Saturday. When she was looking at the bonsai at one end of the display she noticed some kids touching the trees. She found a person who was looking after the display and let him know. I hope there is no damage to any of the trees. :o :x

Regards Ray
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Ray M wrote:Hi all,
I heard some disturbing news yesterday. My daughter and family went out to the show on Saturday. When she was looking at the bonsai at one end of the display she noticed some kids touching the trees. She found a person who was looking after the display and let him know. I hope there is no damage to any of the trees. :o :x

Regards Ray
That is unfortunate, the Perth Royal does not have a Bonsai display any more for that simple reason, security was very slack. The last time I put my trees in was in1996. when we went to collect them, there were cigarette butts in the pots of 2 display trees.
The organisers had a smoke free in building policy then, they now have a smoke free show , but still no one is willing after all you have noticed people touch and in some cases not gently.
So in 1997 one person entered won all the ribbons, but no trees since then.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Pup wrote:
Ray M wrote:Hi all,

Regards Ray
That is unfortunate, the Perth Royal does not have a Bonsai display any more for that simple reason, security was very slack. The last time I put my trees in was in1996. when we went to collect them, there were cigarette butts in the pots of 2 display trees.
The organisers had a smoke free in building policy then, they now have a smoke free show , but still no one is willing after all you have noticed people touch and in some cases not gently.
So in 1997 one person entered won all the ribbons, but no trees since then.
I was wondering why we didn't do anything, guess that answers it! Can't beleive there were cigarette butts in pots, thats terrible! Hopefully one day it can happen again as its great exposure, I'd happily act as security for the weekend :P

Thanks for sharing the photos Josh! Looks like some decent tree's on display :)
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Spme of these trees were behind a safety rail. Others were within reach. There were no signs saying don't touch but it should be common sense.
I was at a stand the other day with the jumpe starter battery packs. A kid puts his metal key chain between the two clamps, shorts it out and burns the table cloth. The dad grabs the kid and runs. When the parents have no respect you can't expect the kids to have any. Unfortunately it's the way people are today.

Josh.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Josh wrote:Spme of these trees were behind a safety rail. Others were within reach. There were no signs saying don't touch but it should be common sense.
I was at a stand the other day with the jumpe starter battery packs. A kid puts his metal key chain between the two clamps, shorts it out and burns the table cloth. The dad grabs the kid and runs. When the parents have no respect you can't expect the kids to have any. Unfortunately it's the way people are today.

Josh.
Wow! Seriously lucky he didn't hurt himself! Unfortunately (and I say this way too often) common sense, isn't all that common anymore

The only way I'd feel safe, if there was someone sitting there with the tree's... someone that actually knew bonsai and had an idea of their value. Is a shame, as I think the Royal Show is a great place to spread the 'word of bonsai' to those who might never of heard of it before
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

... Be almost worth making Perspex cases - can see but Not touch!

Cheers
EZ
Via Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

There are a few dedicated artists who support the Easter Show display every year. It's not an easy task either. Trees have to be dropped off at specific times and collected within a short window. I take my hat off to them!
With thousands of visitors there is also the potential for damage and theft but the exposure of our art is excellent.
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Steven wrote:There are a few dedicated artists who support the Easter Show display every year. It's not an easy task either. Trees have to be dropped off at specific times and collected within a short window. I take my hat off to them!
With thousands of visitors there is also the potential for damage and theft but the exposure of our art is excellent.
Regards,
Steven
Yeah it's full on getting in and out. They don't give you much time. We go to the markets at 6am to stock up then restock at the show between 7:15-8:30. We then man the stands from 9:30am-8:30pm. Would be hard with trees being so delicate. It was great seeing the trees at the show. A real credit tithe owners.

Josh.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”