Busy with bonsai

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Busy with bonsai

Post by Gerard »

It has been hard to keep up this month, I need to get my re-potting done but when?

I am just catching my breath after 11 days working with and watching Hirotoshi Saitoh.

Now the Bonsai Northwest annual show is on top of us, this is always a very special display showing lots of trees in their 'winter glory' a chance to see the wonderful structure and ramification which some trees have. Absolutely nothing to hide! This show will take place on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th in Footscray.

Monday July 28th, BSV will host another important visitor! Tony Bebb will be doing a demonstration at Kew.http://www.bonsaisocietyvictoria.com
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Re: Busy with bonsai

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

You certainly are keeping bonsai busy Gerard, can be hard keeping motivated in these cooler months :worship:
Gerard wrote:It has been hard to keep up this month, I need to get my re-potting done but when?
I have been pondering this point as well ... we also have our late winter show coming up (9-10th Aug) and I'm hesitant to repot anything for display before hand for the following reasons:
1] two years previous I repotted and then displayed a fairly mature Serrisa, I suspect the root prune combined the 3 days of dramatic temperature shift started it's gradual demise.
2] My courtyard micro-climate appears to have the effect of pushing the seasons back, my J Maple is only just loosing the last of it's leaves after the last 4 weeks of colour, some of my T Maples still have most of their yellow leaves while others are still full of green - these will certainly have to wait until post show repotting.

I'm starting to have to think about repotting this winter/spring with next year's show in mind.

What are your thoughts of repotting before your show? How long would you leave a repotted tree to settle before a couple of days indoors?
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

cre8ivbonsai wrote: What are your thoughts of repotting before your show? How long would you leave a repotted tree to settle before a couple of days indoors?
Ideally I would choose something which has not been repotted for the show.I would like to see new growth on an evergreen, or wait at least a month.
Deciduous trees out of leaf will not transpire much so I would expect no problem (as long as it is tied securely into its pot and there is no movement)
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
cre8ivbonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: :-)
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverley

Post by cre8ivbonsai »

Thanks for the advise :tu:

One spectacular aspect of an August show is setting up the display with trees that are all but bare, then watching over the three days as some of them wake up, buds popping into flowers and fresh leaves unfurling 8-)
Cheers, Ryan
Today I know more than I did yesterday, but less than I will tomorrow

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”