Bonsai Scholarship

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Tachigi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Any thing with foliage
Bonsai Age: 0

Bonsai Scholarship

Post by Tachigi »

Top of the day to you all!

Steven was gracious enough to let me post this opportunity here so that you all could become involved if you so choose. I'm sure most of you remember Behr (Grampz) Appleby from Bonsai Talk and other forums. He recently passed to the great bonsai garden in the sky. So we have initiated a Bonsai Scholarship in his name to remember him by. The scholarship is open world wide and provides a maximum of two bonsai scholarships a year for serious bonsai enthusiasts to continue their bonsai education with a teacher of their choice. I would encourage any of you wanting to benefit for this, to apply for this scholarship money or support the fund and the memory of Behr with a small contribution. Presently the fund has 400.00(USD) in it and is continually growing with support from people like yourselves.

For more information regarding the Scholarship and how to apply please follow this link http://www.bonsaivault.com/The_Behr_Bon ... rship.html
Cheers, Tom
The Behr Bonsai Scholarship
North Star Bonsai
Bonsai Vault
Don't flay yourself mentally when you make a mistake or when something bad happens. Just pick yourself up from the god-awful mess you’ve made, say to yourself "I must make a note not to do that again." and go on to the next step, of the hundred or so that remain.
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Re: Bonsai Scholarship

Post by FlyBri »

Gday Tom!

What a brilliant way to honour the memory of a great man! I'm donating to the cause, but no dollar value can be placed on the wealth of knowledge Grampz shared with me during our brief friendship.

I hope there's space in the Behr Scholarship for 'Bonsai Innuendo 101'... :D

Thanks mate!

Fly.
Tachigi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tachigi »

Fly, Thanks for the generous donation!

Your right Grampz was one hell of a man. I think he would approve. I know his wife and daughters were overjoyed at the fact that the bonsai community was doing this with him in mind.
Cheers, Tom
North Star Bonsai
Bonsai Vault
Don't flay yourself mentally when you make a mistake or when something bad happens. Just pick yourself up from the god-awful mess you’ve made, say to yourself "I must make a note not to do that again." and go on to the next step, of the hundred or so that remain.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

hi tom, a very worthy cause and a great man to be remembered. i would love to donate. do we follow the same link? :D
Regards Antonio:
Tachigi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tachigi »

Hi Antonio, yep you can follow that link to the information about the scholarship and application, but at the bottom of the page is a donate button you can use.

Thanks!

Cheers, Tom
Cheers, Tom
North Star Bonsai
Bonsai Vault
Hutch11
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley

Post by Hutch11 »

Hi Tom,

Sounds great! What does the actual scholarship entail, for instance, course criteria, working hours etc etc..
Tachigi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tachigi »

Hutch11 wrote:Hi Tom,

Sounds great! What does the actual scholarship entail, for instance, course criteria, working hours etc etc..
Hey Hutch,
You can find all the nitty gritty details if you follow link, but....

In quick summation, the scholarship gives up to two 500.00 dollar scholarships a year for the purpose of continuing your bonsai education with a teacher of "your " choice. Now this teacher has to be recognized by the community at large. In other words it can't be your crazy uncle frank that lives at the bottom of the hill in a shack. :D You choose what topic you want to study on with your teacher, as long as you will pass that information back to the community per the guidelines. You can use a certain portion towards of the scholarship towards material if you desire. Outside of that its a pretty open decision on what you want to do, as long as its bonsai related.

This is not free money per say... there is a commitment on your part . You need to pass the knowledge along, as Grampz did with most of us.

The bottom line is that what ever you learn you pass on. So that this scholarship benefits all.
Cheers, Tom
North Star Bonsai
Bonsai Vault
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

tom, if we choose to not use online payments could you please give us details on who to make the cheque out to and where to send it? thanks in advance. :D
Regards Antonio:
Tachigi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tachigi »

anttal63 wrote:tom, if we choose to not use online payments could you please give us details on who to make the cheque out to and where to send it? thanks in advance. :D
Antonio, this a bit of a sticky wicket. The scholarship was designed to be administered electronically by PP so that there was total transparency for all involved. So cheques are a bit difficult as they need to go through someone else. I'll Pm you with some alternatives as soon as I think of them :o
Cheers, Tom
North Star Bonsai
Bonsai Vault
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

Hi Tom ,this is an excellent idea, I didnt know Gramps, but im sure he was an exceptional man. What an honer. Good on ya mate. Nice work. :D
Petra!
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Ash Barns
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers,Pines.Tridents etc
Bonsai Age: 21

Post by Ash Barns »

Hey Antonio I have always been suspicious of these payment vehicles. Tom put me on to Pay Pal and I found this to be the easiest way to transfer funds. It even gives the exchange rate of the day.

Ash 8-)
http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/portal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tachigi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Tachigi »

Got you all squared away Antonio! Thanks for the generous contribution. Now if I can get some of my mates here to apply :)
Cheers, Tom
North Star Bonsai
Bonsai Vault
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Ash Barns wrote:Hey Antonio I have always been suspicious of these payment vehicles. Tom put me on to Pay Pal and I found this to be the easiest way to transfer funds. It even gives the exchange rate of the day.

Ash 8-)
yes im sure ash; i joined the bugger years ago and cant remember the password, and now wont let me re join with the same email address. its a drainer to go through the red tape. :D
Regards Antonio:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

Tachigi wrote:Got you all squared away Antonio! Thanks for the generous contribution. Now if I can get some of my mates here to apply :)
thanks tom sorry to put ya out. happy its all for a great cause. :D
Regards Antonio:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

bump bump bump! no more wid no big fat woman :P :lol: :D
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”