Bonsai Week 2018 at the NBPCA

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Re: Bonsai Week 2018 at the NBPCA

Post by Max »

Friggen heck, the Bonsai after Dark exhibition is closed. Damn it Janet :crybye:
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Hi Everyone

What a week! Staff and Volunteers thoroughly enjoyed bringing Bonsai Week 2018 to the Australian Bonsai Community. The week was packed full of action, including demonstrations, tours, presentations, beginner classes, master-classes and our premier event - Bonsai After Hours. Bigger and better than previous years, all visitation and attendance numbers were higher than expected, all events booking or selling out completely. A very big thank you to Carlos van der Vaart, Yannick Kiggen and Ofer Grunwald for sharing their skills, techniques, and personalities. Thanks also to all staff and volunteers who provided great help and support for the event.

We are really excited for next year, which will feature an all female cast of international artists.

Here are some pictures from the event. If you have pictures of your own, or attended a master-class, please share your before and after pictures on this thread.

Cheers
Leigh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

On Saturday I attended 2 master classes to cap off a fantastic couple of days at the NBPCA. Thanks to all those who worked so hard to bring together such a great event, particularly Leigh and Sam.

A couple of weeks before the event I posted here asking if anyone was willing to lend me a couple of trees for the workshops as I was flying across and couldn't take my own, and I was fortunate to have Grant Bowie answer my call and generously offer to help out with a few trees. Wow, no pressure then.

The first class was with Carlos van der Vaart and I chose a mature shimpaku. Grant had stated he was happy for a major restyling, and that is what he got:
shimpaku 1.jpg
shimpaku 2.jpg
shimpaku 3.jpg
shimpaku 4.jpg
shimpaku 5.jpg
Carlos worked quickly and decisively, I love how he brought out a strong and confident look for the tree. There was a lot of branches to wire so I'm grateful Sam was able to pitch in to get the job done. Sam did a great job, quickly cleaning out the foliage and wiring the trunk.

The second class was with Yannick Kiggen and I chose a young JBP with an interesting trunk. Not as much wiring was required this time so the lesson was done at a more leisurely pace which I was grateful for. I really enjoyed talking to Yannick while he was working, explaining his decisions and techniques. The end result is a dramatic little tree.
jbp 1.jpg
jbp2.jpg
jbp 3.jpg
Both of these trees are now back with their owner for a well earned rest. Thanks again Grant.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all, I am sorry I missed all the events this year but I was happy to help out with material for workshop.

I hope everyone had a great time and I am very happy with the results. Thanks Matt,

Grant

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”