Saulieu 2018 and Yangzhoou 2013

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Saulieu 2018 and Yangzhoou 2013

Post by LLK »

I came across the films of these two BCI Shows by chance and found the contrast between them quite interesting. Saulieu has only just finished.

Saulieu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGKO6E-t0rg

Yangzhouhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGKO6E-t0rg

Enjoy!
BB Brian
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Re: Saulieu 2018 and Yangzhoou 2013

Post by BB Brian »

THANK YOU FOR SHARING :tu:
"Ambition without knowledge, is like boat on dry land" - Miyagi
IG: @bonsaibuzz #bonsaibuzz
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi Lisa

That's the same video on both links...
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Well I enjoyed one and then had as sense of de ja vu ... As MelB notes ... same link twice. :palm:

I enjoyed the video and highlights for me include:

2.15 Penjing
3.49 Cascade
So many great deciduous trees from 8 minutes to close but highlights at 9.14 - 9.52 - with a truly amazing tree at 9.52 :imo:

Thanks for posting Lisa.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

My apologies for posting the Yangzhou link twice!

Here is the Saulieu one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9r5K0nLKR8

Lisa
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

arrrgh! sensory overload at both venues-------amazing
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

It struck me when watching the Saulieu video how tradition-bound Europe is. It seems to me that we are a step ahead in Australia, with our interest in trees such as those shown in the Yangzhou film. Mind you, I'm not saying that we are copying the Chinese trends, just that these have opened a wider window on tree miniaturisation. I wonder what you guys think.

Lisa
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I think this is a more representative video of the European show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPjRB8InKE

Tony Tickle's winning tree was anything but traditional, imho. It does seem as though all the demos are using traditional trees, and I guess the reason for that is you can get something that almost looks like a bonsai within the two hour time-frame.

I have to say I mostly prefer the Chinese trees purely because they grow species that I am sometimes able to grow. The Asian bonsai artists from all around that area have produced some outstanding results, over a long time frame, it's certainly inspiring to me to see tropical and sub tropical trees looking magnificent in bonsai pots...

Thanks for sharing the vids Lisa, it is good to compare, I agree.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Lisa, I respectfully disagree. I think European bonsai is going ahead in leaps and bounds and there is a lot of shows and exhibitions for people to display bonsai and also to enjoy bonsai. European's are generally using different species (their natives) and using display methods that are far in excess quality wise of the way Australians display their bonsai. They also have access to some fantastic potters who are producing some very high quality and interesting pots which compliment the local bonsai.
I would venture to say that in a very short period of time the quality of European bonsai will rival Asian bonsai as they have a large number of talented young bonsai artist that are pushing the limits, with success.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

All right, gentlemen, I stand corrected. It was foolish of me to compare bonsai in Australia, with 24.7 million inhabitants, with bonsai in Europe, with its 738 million people. Of course, in the latter region you'd get far more world class events. Whether it is more per capita remains to be seen. You probably know that Bjorn Bornholm said of the last AABC show in Melbourne that it was world class, quite a feat since Australia does not have access to foreign-grown plant material, contrary to European countries Of course this does not prove that Australia is a step ahead of Europe, as I suggested above.
Mel, thanks for the URL you posted. Funny, a lot of the trees are ther same ones as in the Saulieu film.
This is another 2018 French bonsai event, a BCI one, which took place quite recently in Mulhouse. I got quite tired of the many identically rounded triangles representing the crowns of trees. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqjx0oAQX-A Maybe these are not representative of European bonsai?
I promise I'll abstain from posting any further URLs !

Lisa
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Lisa it was never my intention to upset you and if that has happened I am very sorry. The links you posted are fantastic and I am sure many people have enjoyed looking at them.
When I look at European exhibitions I see a lot of native material to that area; Atlantic ceders, Sabina junipers, hawthorns, hornbeam (Carpinus), European Yew, Norway spruce and of course Olives. In a lot of French shows there are is particular variety of buxus which are dug in France that feature. When they couple these types of trees with quality pots that were made in Europe it gives a connection. I just think they are doing it well.
I do agree that the AABC convention in Melbourne had, in my opinion, the best display of bonsai I have seen at an AABC convention to date, and this is a positive step. I am also excited about next years convention featuring only Australian native plants which may be the way to go for us?
Please post as many links as you like and I did notice a Canberra bonsai gent in one of the links you posted, very interesting.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

Thanks for a great explanation, Watto, and I am not at all upset. Just got to thinking about the great variety of trees and styles in Melbourne, after watching the Mulhouse exhibition, which by comparison was boring, notwithstanding fantastic nebaris and carved deadwood. That's what started me off.
:aussie: Our many natives, with their endless variations according to climates and micro-climates, are no end of a challenge. They will keep us going for decades to come. Personally, I hope that they won't result in too many rounded trangle profiles.
The natives-only AABC convention should be fabulous.

Lisa
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

I agree Lisa, please don't stop sharing urls because of some clumsy rubbish I might say. I am very much looking forward to the Natives convention next year, because they'll all be our trees, and hopefully our style.
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by LLK »

Heck, Mel, I wouldn't recognise "clumsy rubbish" if it hit me in the face. I am always grateful for reply posts, like your encouraging words.

Lisa
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

LLK wrote: I got quite tired of the many identically rounded triangles representing the crowns of trees.
Lisa
Lisa, thanks for posting the videos, they have stimulated respectful discussion and debate. I enjoy variety and I believe that the breadth of the Australian landscape and climate will, over time, result in a huge breadth of 'native' bonsai trees that reflect our country. From cool climate to rain forest; from coastal to arid. And everything in between. For example, down here in Melbourne (without a green house), I'll never be able to replicate the wonderful curtain roots of a fig (in bonsai form) but I'll love to see them, just as I'll love to see some amazing flowering Moonah trees reflecting the coastal landscape down here.

Design wise, I align with your quote above. Many trees look rather formulaic with their rounded triangle crowns. That is not to say that I do not appreciate the skill and craft in developing these trees and their inherent respect of historical bonsai techniques and traditions. They are just not my favourite. Each to their own.

One point though ... it's about pots.

I reckon the more that more of us Bonsai enthusiasts support local makers the more local makers will develop their skills and craft pots that reflect our needs. I am going to write a bit more about this on a seperate thread - where someone had a go at local potters; I am not a potter but a comment on a seperate thread frustrated me .... so I'll respond accordingly .... but ... that's a seperate issue. For this thread, suffice to say that I am confident that people like Tracey Francis at Murrumbung Studio will become world class if they are not already! There are numerous other excellent potters emerging too. We support them to our collective long term benefit. :imo:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”