JOHN HANBY NOTES #4 - "It's not working'

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

JOHN HANBY NOTES #4 - "It's not working'

Post by MelaQuin »

It’s Not Working
John ended a very informative and entertaining day by implanting three words in my brain. ‘It’s not working’. I have been working on an olive for 1.5 years and while it is doing what I wanted it to do the magic wasn’t happening. John looked at the tree from all angles and simply stated – ‘It’s not working”. The bottom line was that the tree was never going to be anything with the extended branch plan I had in mind. It has now been severely cut back and I will have another year before I can start styling new growth and probably removing yet anther branch but I learned something really important. A tree must have a focal point and branches and foliage aren’t arranged just to hang nicely on the plant… they need to emphasise the focal point, to draw the eye to the focal point. John spoke of ‘mass’ where we use ‘foliage pads’ and it is good way of stating it.
Olive Kore 2009-10.jpg
Olive Kore 2009-11.jpg
After massacring the olive I went over my benches and studied a number of other trees that ‘were not working’ and a lot of major pruning went on. It was a major setback to my plans for these trees but there’s no point in persevering with a bad plan – you only waste more time before you eventually come to the realisation. Better to do drastic things now.

John was somewhat in awe of our weather and the fact that the 1.5 year growth of a local bonsaied elm branch would take 4 years for the same development in his part of the world. He definitely envied our growing season.

It is ALWAYS a good idea to take advantage of the opportunity to sit with an international Master to improve your eye and techniques.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: JOHN HANBY NOTES #4 - "It's not working'

Post by Pup »

G,day MelaQuin. I got in touch with John. Then my pc emails went walkabout. I found it too late on my laptop.
I knew something was wrong because I had 4 pms and my emails lets me know. Any way by the time I got it he was not available.
Thank you for helping me.

My words for not working, are it does not talk to me. The same priniple is applied though.

Again thank you for your help in trying to get us together.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Thanks for the Notes Mela, a bit disapointed there where no trident pics but hey great read anyway. The Olive looks much better :)
Last edited by Bretts on November 5th, 2009, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

Post by sreeve »

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to make the notes Lee. Even though the crowd was dissapointingly small, I heard that the people who did attend enjoyed the 1 - 2 days immensely.
Regards
Steve

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”