Bonsai Week 2019 workshop

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Bonsai Week 2019 workshop

Post by shibui »

I've been lucky to secure a workshop place at Bonsai week this Saturday.

Tough to decide which tree(s) to take.
This year we have a full day workshop - The morning session (9am till 12) with Heike van Gunst, then an afternoon session (1pm till 4) with Sandra Grlica. We are allowed to take extra trees in the event a single smaller tree doesn't hold enough for either of the sessions. I normally take a couple of options to allow the tutor to pick whichever they feel more comfortable with or that might give the best outcomes.

I've narrowed my choices down to the following trees, all shimpaku junipers that I've been developing for around 7-9 years. All wired when young and twisted and bent dramatically after Jow's encouragement to grow better juniper stock to work with viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1307&hilit=juniper+shibui.;
P1210242.JPG
P1210245.JPG
P1210248.JPG
P1210251.JPG
P1210255.JPG
P1210257.JPG
I've spotted several possible trees in most of these but it will be interesting to see what our visiting experts see.

Looking forward to seeing some Ausbonsai members at the workshop and a couple of other activities on Friday :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Re: Bonsai Week 2019 workshop

Post by Gerard »

I understand your dilemma Neil, attending the same workshops and bringing a nice little dwarf sylvestris purchased from Treeman a couple of years ago, and 3 black pines all small trees. Looking foreward to seeing you on the weekend.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Nice material Neil lots of options . I have 3 shimpakus in the ground for almost a decade now . I need to cut them back next spring and proberly lIft in 2020. Yours have branches easily manlipulated so you have been pruning well.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

See you Friday and/or Saturday Gerard
Nice material Neil lots of options . I have 3 shimpakus in the ground for almost a decade now . I need to cut them back next spring and proberly lIft in 2020. Yours have branches easily manlipulated so you have been pruning well.
J. chinensis usually grows with long, straight shoots so the earlier ones I grew were quite difficult to develop good bonsai from. These have been constantly wired and bent and selectively pruned to give thicker trunks with taper and useful branches where I thought I would need them. You will have noted the sacrifice branches on these to selectively thicken parts of the trunk. Some of the sacrifice branches will also double as jin in the final design I hope. In some cases branches have been left to grow specifically to supply a jin. More recently I've also been wiring those potential jins to get some more interesting dead wood options.
Last edited by shibui on March 28th, 2019, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

I like the trunkline of the pot marked 5A Neil, but all look good.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”