Bonsai Open - 2023

Check here for information on exhibitions, workshops, collecting trips etc that are happening in your area.
PeachSlices
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that flowers
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club, Bonsai Society of Sydney, School of Bonsai

Re: Bonsai Open - 2023

Post by PeachSlices »

TimS wrote: March 6th, 2023, 11:58 am I’d be curious to know the reasoning behind the long needles; is it a species that isn’t prone to good needle length reduction? Was it a conscious choice to rebel against the trend of Uber short needles? Why choose to hide the trunk with such dense foliage? Not hating, just goes against common conventions with pine and has me wondering
I asked the owner when we discussed this tree. He said Nishiki needles are long and maybe by next year he could try for 3/4 of their current length.

The trunk is so gnarly and corky its amazing. I think with more development and ramification he could get that tree to have more shorter needles with a more dense pad. I don't think anything is purposely hidden its gnarly.

The only thing hidden is tiny guy wires if you looked hard enough.

Tige.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I believe constructive critique is a good thing. I wasn't privy to the discussion Grant mentioned so cannot comment on whether it was constructive or not. Unfortunately there can be people whose critique is just criticism. Moving a branch on a 45 year old corked up Nishiki is rather impossible.

Having said all that, this was a magnificent tree that was a clear standout for a number of reasons. The cork was well developed and tapered nicely from base to top and went down to soil level. Most Nishiki I have seen either have a graft fairly high up, or all the cork at the base has rotted away. This shows incredible dedication to careful and concise watering over the entire life of this tree.

The needles, although long, were all orientated in the same way and needle length was pretty consistent over the whole tree. As has been said, needles on Nishiki are hard to reduce. They are generally a weaker tree than standard Black Pine, and as such you cannot push the tree as you would a standard black. But the current owner has done an incredible job over the last few years to get this tree incredibly healthy and balance the energy over the tree.

Corky bark was present right out close to the needles. This would have had to have been meticulously groomed with perfect execution of impeccable technique.

And it was beautifully displayed with great attention to detail.

If you are on Instagram you can check out a short video posted by Embark-en here
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

For those who would like a look at a few other trees............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

A couple more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

The last few.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Thanks for the pics Watto. I didn't take any so its good to have a record. especially for those that couldn't make it. So many good trees.

And definitely the strawberry was the best accent ;)
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Many thanks Watto, the Olive ramification is just amazing. Well done to the owner of that one :clap:
A lot of stunning trees at the show thanks for sharing appreciate it:beer:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Watto,

Great work on the photography. I really appreciate your time to post these pictures.

The trees, all of them are super. As are the various styles and attention to their display. Looks like it was a great show all round.

I know you were very proud to have one or more of your trees accepted into the show. Which ones were yours?

Kevin
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Thanks again Watto ,nice collection of trees. The pinus nigra is pretty awesome......John
BonsaiBobbie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: No Luck Leptospermum, Could be Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Sydney City Bonsai Club

Post by BonsaiBobbie »

Love that Olive. Looks amazing!
--
No idea what I am doing…
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

Thanks Watto . Your photography is really good ,I could nearly smell that strawberry .

Return to “Shows, Events and Workshops”